1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things that you don't like spending lots of money on, and good sources for them.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holdfast, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

We all love nice clothes & accessories here, and doubtless spend more than the average bear on them. However, I can't be the only one with deep-seated irrational prejudices against paying top whack for certain classes of item. I don't mean holding out for sales or trawling B&S/eBay for your favourite brands going cheap; I mean items that, regardless of brand or quality, you simply refuse to pay more for and still wouldn't want to even if money was theoretically not an issue. I figured it might be fun to compare our value quirks and also to share cheap - but better than average quality - sources for these kinds of item.

(If you like, feel free to also nominate items that you easily loose all semblance of price restraint over and will happily splurge!)

For me, I'm miserly about:

Silk knit ties: KJ Beckett - just ordered a couple from them, so waiting to receive them, but they certainly appear to be the right price & quality.
    Socks: Falke Family - I prefer cotton socks to wool, and Falke's Family range has durable, washable, relatively fade-resistant socks at a low price.
    Underwear: Marks & Spencers - it's a cliche to only shop for underwear at M&S, I know, but true for me anyway.
    Leather belts: Equus - can't see a reason to pay more for any other belt, considering them quality & customisation of Equus.

While browsing the KJ Beckett site, I also spotted some colourful woven belts branded Tyler & Tyler. Woven belts are certainly another item I dislike paying lots for, so I might try one of those in future too.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

Pocket Square, tie, shirt, braces

3. sskim3

sskim3 Active Member

Shoe Trees - I make it a point to only get them on sale from Jos Bank at $12 or less.... still ends up being costly due to the amount of shoe trees I get. [​IMG] I know you said no sales but they are practically on sale all the time.

Undershirts - i stick with the tanks and v-necks from Hanes

Socks - Gold Toe OTC socks at Costco. 4 pack for $11

4. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

Shoes Trees - Jos a Bank when they are at least buy 1 get 2 free
    Pocket Squares & Socks - Nordstrom Rack,thetiebar.com,Off Sacks

5. Holdfast

Shoe trees are definitely a good call. I've kind of stopped buying more shoes, so don't need more trees, but I used to get mine from Bexley; they used to do a good discount for buying several pairs at the same time.

Solid colour T-shirts are another one for me. I tend to get mine from The Gap.

6. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Well-Known Member

Hangers - for my suits/sport coats, Marshall's (for those of you in the states) typically has cheap plastic hangers for some of their suits that have filled out shoulders similar to what you see from The Hanger Project, though obviously material/construciton is completely different. For my shirts, I either fold them (polos) or just hang them on plastic hangers (dress shirts). I wear a jacket with my dress shirts 99% of the time, so i just dont see the value for now of spending a lot on the perfect hanger for each different peice of attire.

7. Holdfast

[​IMG] Yup, add this one to my list too. I hoard the free plastic hangers that come with jackets/suits, provided they have the right amount of shape/width to them.

8. mljs54

mljs54 Well-Known Member

I tend to pick up cedar shoe trees from DSW, I think they are regularly under $10 at the Union Square location in NYC.

9. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Well-Known Member

10. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

I'm trying to solve the belt problem by switching over to pants with side-adjusters. I like the look anyway and it means one less accessory to spend money on.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

I have no problem paying retail for anything well made, of decent quality and made by the hands of properly paid and fairly treated workers who are provided quality materials to work with. You expect to be fairly paid for your time and so does anyone else. I don't care if I paid more for something here or there because somewhere else I saved money. These things all even out. Money can be replaced, but time, once spent, can never be recovered. Time is the killer. Don't waste it. Time and useful information are the most valuable commodities you could ever want.

12. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Well-Known Member

Cheap on everything. Easier to list what I do not buy at thrift stores or ebay than what I do.

Shoes- I would buy at thrift shops, but in my area decent shoes never appear at the stores. So I do Ebay

Clothing with elastic. Socks and underpants. I find elastic tends to fail, it is difficult to tell when this will happen, but buying these used ensures a shortened lifetime. If they have been washed in hot water and dried at high temp then the failure will come even sooner, but no way to tell the care history used.

Leather belts. Same problem as elastic, probably exactly the same, with degradation of elastin. They fail, and I am not confident I can tell by looking how long a used belt is going to last. Plus, all the used belts I see at thrifts in my area are clearly already worn out to the point that there would be no purpose to having them at all. I do buy belts new, online, but top out at about US $35.

Undershirts. They don't have elastic, but I like microfiber, and all I ever see at thrifts are cotton. The microfiber shirts are so durable that the get lost, or stained when working around the house long before they wear out. I occasionally buy some when they are available at deep discounts, then they seem to last forever. So I have little need to get more. Would never pay more than $5.

Just about anything else I refuse to buy new. Ties, shirts, slacks, blazers, suits, and shoes are thrift/ebay only.

13. samadhi27

samadhi27 Well-Known Member

On sportcoat/suit hangers -- you can get excellent curved wooden ones from the Container Store for much cheaper than The Hanger Project. The finishing is not quite as good, but the structure is just about the same.

14. Holdfast

Received them today (fast delivery!); very happy with the quality, the width, and the appearance of them. The chocolate brown is exactly the shade I expected; the navy is a fraction lighter but still perfectly fine. I'll probably get a black and a dark green from them at some point too. The ties are branded Nick Bronson, who IIRC also supply lots of brands (and at an identical level to their own-branded ties as far as I can tell), so definitely a good deal to get them from KJ Beckett.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  15. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

I don't like spending lots of money on unstructured jackets and knit ties, but don't have any good sources. I just go shopping around until I find something that I like/fits and is deeply discounted.

I also get cheap socks at local markets. I destroy socks quickly no matter how nice they are, so why waste money...

16. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I wish I could trust myself to keep track of a nice umbrella, but I lose them at an astonishing rate. So I just order cheap ones a half dozen at a time off Amazon.

I think Lands End knits are pretty nice, although they don't have great color selection. But for a basic black or navy, it's a good deal. They also go on sale pretty often.

The big spending category I just can't get into is watches. Also I don't wear cuff links very often so I only have a couple of (pretty cheap) pairs.

17. unbelragazzo

RD-
    I used to think the same way with socks until I discovered the joy, beauty, and durability of Bresciani. They're really expensive, but worth it IMHO. I've had some pairs as long as two years now and never any problems.

18. astrocyte

astrocyte Well-Known Member

I have taken the opposite approach. I used to lose my cheap umbrellas all the time. However, once I bought an expensive one, I magically became much better at looking after it!

1 person likes this.
  19. unbelragazzo

It's possible I'd do the same. Just don't know it I want to bet $300 on it. The problem is even if I can remember when sober, I'm never too many nights away from drinking a bunch on a rainy night. After enough scotch, no umbrella is expensive enough to penetrate your consciousness.

20. unbelragazzo

Which brings me to another category I don't spend that much on...occasionally if I'm celebrating with a friend I might splurge for something more special, but I am perfectly happy drinking Laphroaig.

I can't really taste the difference between $15 wine and $150 wine either, so cheap stuff it is.