1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

typical east coast msm eiltism

2. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

ugh Trader Joe's sucks. Had to throw away multiple packages of chicken that I bought two days ago because they smelled putrid.

3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

If you tell them they're really good about returns

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

"Have you dined with us before"?

No as a matter of fact I haven't, but I can read, talk/point and chew my food so I think I'm going to get through this. Worst greeting ever.

5. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Don't you want to hear how the menu works? Maybe chef would like you to order family style small plates that come out as they're ready?

1 person likes this.
  6. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

It's just lazy. There are better ways of engaging me in a conversation about the restaurant/food.

7. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

8. t3hg0suazn

I got lunch at Mirazur, Menton today and all was going fine until the John Dory arrived: skin was impenetrable by knife and the flesh did not separate from the skin. I had to saw off the flesh to eat it. Please correct me, but to me that's the sign of a poorly cooked fish?

I wanted to complain but the waiter just quickly whisked the plate away after a hurried "Did you enjoy the fish?" How do you express your disapproval when they ask leading questions that they don't even care what the answer is?

9. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Sounds undercooked maybe? Send it back instead of choking it down. Or ask if chef's vision was for the fish to be inedible.

10. t3hg0suazn

I thought it was undercooked as well. I really wish I had sent it back. I've never done that before, but as you say, better to be assertive than choke down inedible food.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

A line I'm never sure what to do with:

Are you still enjoying your entree?

Umm, well, there's just bones left, so unless you think I'm a mastiff, chances are good that yeah, I've sucked all the "enjoyment" out of that plate.

12. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

^Eh, I prefer that to the presumptuous types that reach for a plate I'm still working on. Of course, I eat at shitty chain restaurants.

So, I made a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Sounds good right? The chocolate nearly ruined it, overpowered the other flavors. The best bites were the ones with no chocolate, where you could really taste the bourbon and the vanilla with the crunchiness of the pecans. Wasted a whole pie. Now I know. Desserts with more than two adjectives are usually trouble.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Last night, when the cat woke me up to alert me to the fact that a bat was flying circuits around our bedroom (good, good cat), and we ultimately secured the room and opened some windows so the bat could fly out, not only did the bat NOT fly out, but another damn bat flew in the now-open and screenless windows.

Incidentally, whoever named the common species of bat up here 'the Little Brown Bat' has never had two of them flying a foot from their face while they lay on the floor trying to stay the hell out of the way while watching to learn just when the bat flies out - because they don't seem so damn little at the time. I'd swear the larger of the two had an 8" wingspan.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    3 people like this.
  14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Say... what kind of "Huntsman" exactly are ya?

15. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

It is so hard to find a chicken under 3 lbs here. Almost all of the stores only have 5.5 lbs+. Trying to make Thomas Keller's fried chicken and he really recommends a smaller bird for better skin-to-meat ratio.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  16. MacJack

MacJack Active Member

i don't like fish smells

17. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I don't have salt or hot sauce in my office :(