1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Apr 25, 2010.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Well I was thinking of La Folie, whose last score was a 92, but same score for Masa's as well.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

How do you know this shit? What does Ton Kiang score?

Edit: 98, ching, chong, bitch.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. kwilkinson

Ching chong bitch indeed. Although the kitchens at both La Folie and Masa's looked pretty damn sparkling when we took our tours. Although the website I looked at shows LF and Masa's most recent scores being in 09, which can't be true, so who knows what they got this year.

Edit: Just realized I use the word although too often.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

We had a cockroach walk across our table at Ton Kiang once. No big deal. I guess they aren't in the kitchen, though. Anyway, good job. Got to keep clean.

Coi got a 98. Their food tastes like anus sauce.

5. kwilkinson

Yeah.... hard to beat 1836 Madeira though. :cheers:

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

quotable, just not siggable.

7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Bouley in NYC expects me to send my credit card info and a photo copy of both sides of my cc via e-mail in order to secure a reservation that I made on Open Table for Xmas Day. My cc info was entered on Open Table's secure server, yet, Bouley is asking for me to send it again via e-mail along with a photo copy of the card. Unbelievable. :facepalm:

By the way, I called to give them my info over the phone, but they insisted on me sending it via e-mail. There is absolutely no way I'll send credit card info via e-mail, and certainly not a photo copy of both sides of my card. Fortunately, NYC has many other wonderful restaurants that are serving terrific meals on Xmas Day, and I'll be at one of them. Interestingly, I ate at Bouley on Xmas Day a few years ago, and didn't have to go through this hassle. They really have pissed me off.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

that sucks man, but that is the state of America nowadays I guess. Even opentable is not immune.

FWIW, Christmas is my birthday, and I plan to find a nice beach spot and watch some winter Pacific waves come rolling in, maybe get some warm sake and takoyaki or something. :eek: Stabbing at another lamb chop with another laguiole knife and eating bread and butter and having a bottle of burgundy can wait for another day.

9. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

WTF? Are they trying to recreate the restaurant scene from L.A. Story?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

It really baffles me. I don't mind them having my cc number, and even running the card to charge a deposit, but there is no way in hell I'm e-mailing them a photo copy of both sides of my card. It makes no sense whatsoever, particularly when they have access to my cc information on opentable.

A Xmas day seating opened up due to a cancellation at a place that I had tried several days ago. It's a better place that I'm sure to enjoy even more. I'm happy now. Overall, I have some good restaurants lined up for my trip.

1 person likes this.
  11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Williams Sonoma. Holy shitballs on a stick does that place have an infected taint.

First off, its in the mall. So the most cretinous of cretins are swarming in that hell hole deigning to come into my presence. Whether its the chronically poor racking up more debt to feed their unfettered consumer whorishness with poor quality products at high prices; women displaying cheap implants, cheaper morals, and still cheaper class and taste sauntering about; pint-sized disease carriers known as children running underfoot; or any other lowlife smalltimer, my day is infected with their mere appearance.

Additionally malls inherently suck the herpes-laden hooeys of cheap whores and make people think its hot shit.

So then I go in to the store... all manner of foodstuffs, cooking implementations and other sundry products. But don't expect to pay normal or even decent prices for their wares! Markups! Markups! Markups everywhere! Oh what a glorious day to markup prices! And people buying it--seriously, you think your $8 tin of dried rosemary now makes you a gourmand? Seriously?

At least there were free samples.

But wait! Even that is worthy of derision!

In Atlanta we're having terribly cold weather. It must have been 65 when I was in the store. An urn of hot apple cider informs you, dear shopper, that it is "perfect for a cold day!" Why, yes please, I do ever so desperately need to shake off this terrible chill! Which means, of course, some housewife (clearly newly minted) is grasping her one ounce paper cup of cider, savoring the refreshment and warmth. Like, what the fuck are you thinking? It isn't cold, its hot in the store (courtesy of the swarming mass of humanity) why the fuck are you trying to act festive about this holiday season with a goddamn one ounce sample of fucking mediocre cider? Really? REALLY? Festive is what you're going for? For fuck's sake!

Then some manatee-cum-shopper barges through a display, scowling at me for waiting near the checkout to collect my soon-to-be wrapped goods. I'm sorry, but just because you are corpulent and buying vastly overpriced stuff at WS, that doesn't mean you are a "foodie" and entitled to be a bitch. Then again, "foodie" is so meaningless, trite and cliche, sure, you're a foodie. Enjoy yourself and your "sophisticated palate."

This is not a single-gender issue, the dickheadedness. Oh no. In fact, as I am soon to depart, some douche comes in wearing fire engine red corduroys (couldn't tell if they were office pants, sorry iGents!) and other garments as if it was cold outdoors. No. It isn't. And you look like a douche. And your clothes are ill-fitting. But hey, at least you paid a pretty penny for your Polo pants so you can remain a part of a social collective you so desperately need to be a part of.

Ugh. And all that for a fucking gift that I have little doubt won't be fully appreciated.

Merry fucking Christmas! Everyone of us!

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

They never have any free samples at night.

13. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

You can get free espresso there if you act interested enough in buying one of the expensive machines they have hooked up. Terrible coffee, but it's saved me from having to pay for coffee a few times.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

managed to ruin a recipe a 2nd time. First time I forgot to pre-cook the beans. Now I misread the recipe thinking it said 3 cups uncooked beans when they actually wrote 3 cups COOKED beans. It's at least edible now.

15. kwilkinson

I somehow managed to break an aioli twice in one day. Really strong showing.

16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

dude. use a stick blender. aioli in seconds

17. kwilkinson

Lol, I can make an aioli. I just wasn't paying attention because we were really busy and I was doing 4 things at once. Whoops.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

IMO, food handling gloves have upped infections, not decreased them. The mouth breathers seem to think the gloves are magic and/or for the handler's protection not the consumer's. It's like those fucking gloves repel germs, so they must think, so you one can pick their nose, handle garbage (or money which I see all the time), take a dump and then just touch food and everything is good.

I think this would make for a great epi study. Observed compliance in handlers with gloves vs. without and recorded complaints/instances of food born infection with vs. without.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  19. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i just figured you were using a whisk or something (not saying you dont know how to make an aioli). it's impossible to break the aioli with a stick blender but maybe you already knew that

20. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i do think you get a slightly different aioli making it with a blender/food processor than you do with a mortar and pestle. garlic is chopped instead of crushed (and no, i'm not suggesting that kyle should start using a mortar and pestle at the country club).