• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You find most people in your experiences to be awful!
laugh.gif

Not true. I hate collectively and love individually. She's a pain **********. A prickly, nasty woman unless you are one of her devotees IME.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not true. I hate collectively and love individually. She's a pain **********. A prickly, nasty woman unless you are one of her devotees IME.

i think you'd have to dig pretty deep to find any of her devotees that didn't agree. but that is no reflection on her professional contributions. shame really, she knows a tremendous amount but just can't stop letting her personality get in the way.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not true. I hate collectively and love individually.

You stole this either from a post I made or out of my head.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spice Market, which is jean georges vongerichtens restaurant in atlanta has a 50% off scoutmob. I will be doing the tasting menu next week or week after.

Sidenote: more than 5000 dudes have used it and its not been on sm that long

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Just tried the Ducasse method on a steak and I overcooked the hell out of it.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^the timing is pretty difficult. i've failed many times. i thikn the key is to have a really thick steak (1.5 to 2 in). constantly monitoring internal temperature also helps a ton

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally got a steak that was a thick 1.5 inches, so I figured I'd try it. Alas, no such luck.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^did you just admit the last thing you boned was an asian ******?

use a thermometer next time. it drastically improved results for me

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't the "Ducasse method" just cooking it slowly in butter with a little garlic and basting a lot. That's like, how you cook a steak correctly. I find thermometers problematic. I never can decide what temp I want, so I cook steak better without one.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i never had the proper training you did, so a thermometer gives better quality control for me than timing or touch (although i still use both to give a better range of expectations). i find pulling out at 120 degrees consistently gives a nice medium rare.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
A large glass jar shattered in my hands cutting both of them all over, I currently have two unbandaged and usable fingers, and it is pissing me off. Fortunately, everything was cut, so after wrapping up, I instructed my sick, drugged up girlfriend and we were able to finish making dinner. Morel and Asparagus soup and Roast chicken and veggie.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not good to constantly be piercing the meat. Use something very thick.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i never had the proper training you did, so a thermometer gives better quality control for me than timing or touch (although i still use both to give a better range of expectations). i find pulling out at 120 degrees consistently gives a nice medium rare.
Yeah, when finishing in the oven, 120° is when I pull out. When cooking the steak on the stove-top only, I can usually just tell; that and by touching the meat itself.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
I think a thermometer is fine, I just suck at using them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads