1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Gross margin isn't the only reason that drinks are a profit center. You have to think about it in terms of increasing the average ticket - that's why many restaurants focus on apps, drinks and desserts. If restaurants could get fatties to order 2 entrees per person, they'd be perfectly happy to do so. You might break even if every party of two comes in and just orders entrees, so when you get people to buy more than that, the gross margin goes straight to the bottom line, regardless of whether it's a side of ranch or iced tea for Springs1 or a margarita.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Its a fancy way of saying that it varies independently of the way other factors vary.

If I wanted people to understand what my major was, I would say it was statistics.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I get you. Makes sense. I thought you were an engineering major for some reason.

1 person likes this.
  4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was eating at a fancy restaurant and this guy was trying to appear all sophisticated he ordered orthugula. (He vaguely recalled smart people using a term that sounded sort of like that. :embar:)

1 person likes this.
  5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

I was an engineering major.

P.S. It sucked.

1 person likes this.
  6. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I got my stolen bike back! or at least the frame and fork...not the wheels and components that are worth more than the frame...but hey, better than nothing!

A guy from a local shop messaged me this morning saying it was for sale of facebook by the guy we knew had it back in November. Cops wouldn't volunteer to do anything besides maybe show up if you arrange a meet and identify the bike (fair enough, what are the odds in their mind that this guy is even the one who stole it in the first place).

I cleared the bike references off my facebook and sent him a message saying I might be interested. He immediately responded with "Hey your the guy! Your [nick name that incorporates my real name]" (sic) and asked me to call him. How the fuck did he know that?

Said he bought it as is from some guy and it seemed sketchy so he kept screenshots of the transaction that he can send me. Wanted to do the right thing, etc. We met up outside a starbucks and he handed the frame back to me with no problems.

Parts are gone except the fork and one brake. Different stem on it, and the steerer has been chopped down way low. Looks like it has been ridden a fair amount (dirty, scuffs, nicks on chainstay).

Not sure I believe the story about buying it without the parts--the photo from November showed it exactly as I left it...and why would you buy a frame that is too big for you if it didn't come with a bunch of sweet parts. My guess is that he bought it knowing it was stolen, couldn't make it fit even after chopping the steerer down (he is shorter than me by a reasonable amount), and thus either sold the parts or kept them for himself. The frame is too unique to really sell...handmade by a local builder, would only fit tall folk, etc, but the parts would flip easy.

Dunno how he knew me? Maybe he knew it was my frame (again, one of a kind really) and figured he would wait for warmer weather and try to flip it on the down-low. Maybe once I messaged him, he figured I knew, thus the police probably knew, so he should "do the right thing" claim ignorance on the purchase and give it back (figuring he already made better money off the groupset and wheels).

2 people like this.
  7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

^ that's pretty cool, but I would have preferred the insurance and a new bike. Happened to me once and the replacement cost insurance scored me an upgrade.

8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

same here, the insuranace covered more than we expected. And landlord paid the deductible (they were at fault for not telling tenants that people broken in and sawed a bunch of locks, so check to see if your bike is in danger)

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah...insurance would have been nice :( I don't remember exactly, but I think I had literally been looking up a quote less than a week before it was stolen.

Already got a new bike, and honestly, it is probably better for racing (although the parts were a step down from the campy bits that used to be on this frame). Don't know what I will do with this one. Build it up to replace my commuter frame? Already been stolen and beat up once, I guess now I might be willing to leave it outside on occasion.

Build it up as a dedicated road bike (even though it is a CX frame) so I don't have to swap wheels/tires on the CX bike?

I feel like I can't possibly sell it after this...but it needs a full set of parts (including a new fork since they cut the steerer too short) to be usable, so swapping bits from the commuter rig might not be a bad idea.

10. L'Incandescent

The Milwaukee Bucks unveiled their new logo yesterday. Now the buck has a 12-point rack rather than 8. This, according to the official press release, is meant to demonstrate "the maturation of the Buck." I think I'm going to try to find pretexts to use the phrase "maturation of the Buck" in real-life situations.

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I may have mentioned this somewhere on the styleforums, but I like the fact that defenstration is a word in the English language.

It's great that people are thrown out of windows with such regularity that they said hey, we need to have a word for this

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Well, doesn't it really have more to do with the Hapsburgs or whoever throwing people out of windows in Prague hundreds of years ago more than anything else? Well, that and pop stars' children, I guess.

13. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

It doesn't even have to be a person. Sometimes I like to defenestrate pennies onto people below my office window.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I glanced at my computer screen at misread "pennies" in that sentence.

15. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

Watch out, this could get you in trouble.

[​IMG]

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

The mind reads what it wants [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

Your theory is probably correct. I would be ok with this simply because it's a better outcome than I would have hoped for.

18. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

I like how they use the negative space inside the rack to suggest a basketball.

1 person likes this.
  19. L'Incandescent

I'm not a really big basketball fan, but the Bucks are my NBA team (on account of I grew up in Wisconsin). I'm really looking forward to seeing the new uniforms. I hope that one of the uniforms is cream colored.

20. L'Incandescent

Uh-oh I did troll the KISS fan website let's see how things develop!