1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

You know what is making me happy? The fact that people are discussing DOMS (and using the name) and I didn't mention it at all.

Usually when I bring up DOMS--and how NSAIDs don't help it, how it can be avoided by lightly working the muscles in advance of the activity (like doing wall sits and box jumps in advance of a ski trip), and how continued use of the muscle can actually relieve pain--people look at me like I am some quack doctor who just totally invented a crazy term.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm glad you cleared this up because for years I thought the only way it could pass through the muscle cell membrane was through facilitated diffusion and that the transport proteins would get overwhelmed, hence the exit from the cells took time. Now I know it's all gravity!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

^to be fair there is a high amount of lactic acid in the blood as well not just muscle cells.

i was going to say i'm being a real dick to a random stranger who coaches softball for fun

i came back to post to say i'm sorry, but i think the reason why sit ups might help is because it's light activity that will help relieve the pain not because they're v-sit ups but because it's light activity

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

This got started about coaching softball? Yeah, that's pretty cool you do that Groom and I missed that. We're just teasing you a bit but I really applaud your community minded efforts by coaching.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

DAMMIT GUYS!

Also otc, that's what I usually do, stretch, warm up, do exercise, cool down, use the same muscle group in a secondary role on other workouts in the next day or two.

However tonight I'm meeting friends for dinner and drinks, hopefully I will have a minute to do some body weight squats, pullups, curls, crunches, etc at my apartment.

6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

That's approximately the rate at which electrons travel along a wire. For reals.

7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

There's no detriment to using heat, but it often leads to ineffective use of cold; cold is uncomfortable, so people tend to remove ice much too early, in favour of the comfort provided by heat.

Lactic acid is (among other substances, and factors) responsible for pain during, and after exercise, which I'm certain you already know. Expediently removing it accelerates recovery. Reducing immediate pain reduces physiological, and psychological stress; reducing stress also facilitates healing.

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

If having one's legs straight up in the air all the time precluded muscle soreness, then Conne must have the least sore legs in the world

8 people like this.
  9. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Um, this is pathetic.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

A bit. After a few games and some gym I will be fine.

The main thing is keeping an eye on my heart, I had a procedure a few weeks ago.

Science is amazing.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

So the inversion thing would work well if you were a robot?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Got a pretty decent bonus and raise. Not huge, but hey, it's more than I had.

4 people like this.
  13. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

So... On what clothing items will you be blowing the bonus?

14. indesertum

so now you're saying heat is actually helpful but it hurts recovery because it causes people to remove the cold too early????

what happened to "heat in general does not help really"?

and wait ice is uncomfortable but heat isn't?

we weren't even talking about pain during or immediately after exercise. we were talking about DOMS i.e. muscle soreness several hours after exercise. now you're just moving the goal posts.

let's say lifting your legs up reduces lactic acid in your lower extremities. let's also say lactic acid causes pain. when you lift your legs up where does the lactic acid and thus pain go? does it make your upper body even more sore? it's just a complete nonsensical argument

15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

I'm saying heat makes you feel better, but doesn't actually promote repair. Heat is not uncomfortable; heat feels quite nice, which is why people enjoy hot tubs, and hot baths. And, as I said, it drains to the endocrine organs in the abdomen. You'll notice I did not recommend hanging upside down like a bat.

Anything that accelerates recovery, will alleviate later pain; the more repair that occurs, the less damage remains, therefore less pain results.

16. Biscotti

Biscotti Well-Known Member

Cheers to fuck. Drunk and high

1 person likes this.
  17. indesertum

my god, your statements just get more ludicrous by the post

because if you hang upside down like a bat your blood drains to your head and the lactic acid makes your head and your hands sore right?

i'm going to stop now

18. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Dude if you can see your heart to keep an eye on it, I think the procedure might not have gone so well.

Seriously, though, I hope all is well.

19. why

why Well-Known Member

Nothing will because everything he said was bullshit.

If you have lactic acid in your system hours after it's produced you have a severe disorder. I don't even know of any diseases that could possibly cause such things to happen without imminent death.

20. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

tonight I will drink.

3 people like this.