1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I call bullshit on that.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

3. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Holy shit, you are Bill DeBlasio. :wow:

4. GreenFrog

5. patrickBOOTH

Thankfully, I'm not.

1 person likes this.
  6. patrickBOOTH

We would have to cross check each other frequently because we were messaging the same girls.

7. GreenFrog

After wearing J. Crew boxer briefs for years, I finally bought a different brand this time around and got a pair of Mack Weldons.

Amazeballs.

Time to oarder moar!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  8. zarathustra

zarathustra Well-Known Member

I keep the thermostat at about 64ish during the winter (just got the oil bill today,:fu: may have to go lower). Given the location of the thermostat and the drafty window in the bedroom, it usually is about 55 or so in there which I find to be good sleeping temperature.

I remember as a child, one of my friends great-grandmothers used to make the heaviest quilts known to man. Not only was the quilt heavy, but in making the quilt, she would stuff each "square" with down. It was the most heavenly thing to sleep under.

I cannot sleep with, say, just a top sheet. Not enough heft. At a minimum, has to be a down comforter no matter the season. I happen to love Restoration Hardware linen sheet sets/duvet covers. their linen is a tad softer than others.

9. Connemara

Yeah, I rarely go above 62 on the thermostat. I have gas forced air in a smallish 1BR apartment, so it's not wildly expensive to heat. But it still hurts to go from paying $60-$70 a month in utilities during the summer (that's with liberal use of A/C) to at least double that in the winter.

My friend's landlord pays for heat so he keeps his thermostat at 75 all winter. I don't understand that.

10. zarathustra

Winter for me hurts more than the summer. Electricity here is much cheaper than it was in the city. I can cool and run an entire house for half of what my one bedroom was in NYC. Unfortunately, I will probably never see the day that gas lines reach here. So oil for me.

BTW... Electric stoves suck really hard...

11. Connemara

Ever think of putting a woodstove in? That's one of the requirements for my first house. Friends of mine who retired to a cottage on the St. Lawrence River heat their house almost solely with a huge woodstove.

12. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Well-Known Member

Got a year end bonus.
    Bought myself a new digital camera as a present to myself.
    Nikon 1 V2 with the double lens kit.

1 person likes this.
  13. Connemara

I am eating 85% cocoa dark chocolate and drinking Malbec.

3 people like this.
  14. patrickBOOTH

Malbec is shit

2 people like this.
  15. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

I think the last time that happened to me was maybe 14 years ago.

1 person likes this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

It took me until 12:30pm to get my first hair compliment today. I'm slacking.

17. zarathustra

I have a few fire places and can never seem to get around to having a cord of wood delivered. I would probably do the same thing with a wood stove. I would consider putting one in if I ever do any significant construction here. Although I wonder if a larger fireplace with a good fireback would work too. I would not trade my fireplaces....

I was actually referring to the kitchen stove. It was the one thing I didn't give much when moving off the gas line grid. I really really really hate cooking on the stove. I now use the grill for pretty much everything that isn't fried or boiled.

18. zarathustra

Most malbecs really are not that great. I have only found two that I would willingly drink (and have bottles in the house). Layer Cake and 25 Lagunas.

Leads me to the debate of the evening, beer and liquor or a bottle of wine. hmmm....

19. patrickBOOTH

People drink Malbec if they are from central or South America or simply they like saying, "Malbec". Anybody who knows wine never drinks the swill.

20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

I was getting something out of my car the other day and dug up a receipt that had fallen underneath the driver's seat. It was for a bottle of Malbec. First thought: "When the fuck did I buy a bottle of disgusting Malbec?" Answer: 2008.

1 person likes this.