1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I have quarantined myself in the Rare Books Library. Fear not, dear Douglas.

1 person likes this.
  2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

evidence?

(FWIW: my current place of employment, which certain has humanities requirements for all undergrads, has to turn away about 85% of the people who apply. So maybe I'll be less sanguine when, instead of turning away the vast majority--see what I did there--of people who want what we're offering, we have to go out and lure people into taking our services. Also, I'm sure you think it's perfectly clear what "this stuff" and "really worthwhile" mean. I don't think it's clear; those are questions that I'm particularly interested in; and "this stuff" is pretty malleable and people in my field are actively shaping it so that "this stuff" includes ideas and topics and media that are interesting to a lot of people. Not me though--I stick to my stodgy stuff.)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  3. erictheobscure

My girlfriend is currently working at Princeton (just took the car to drive to work this morning). :(

4. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Next time I go into town I will be wearing a biohazard suit and fending off meningo-zombie students with an extendable baton.

5. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

:( indeed. Must be terrifying. Meningitis is not to be trifled with.

I gather they're bringing in some unapproved vaccine to help deal with this? What else does one do to avoid this?

6. erictheobscure

Yeah, the unapproved vaccine thing is crazy! I guess they're encouraging all undergrads to get it, but among staff, only those who really live on campus in close proximity. Have no idea what other precautions are available. I'm normally a germaphobe, but this would send me over the edge.

7. Douglas

Sounds like this is passed through closer contact than airborne, reading the articles (I hadn't read much beyond the headlines) so as long as your GF isn't playing beirut or hooking up with anyone in the T.I. taproom she's likely going to be fine. But I hope she's extra careful, sheesh.

8. Douglas

I do think it's shocking that the FDA is going to let an unapproved vax through though. I mean, don't we hear stories about people with terminal cancers who can't get experimental drugs? But hospitalize a couple Ivy kids and, by all means, pave the way!

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

bialys are amazing. now i want one. maybe tomorrow morning ill pick one up for breakfast. thanks for the idea!

10. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Grieg :slayer:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

What to know how to eliminate that 85% of "demand?" Remove the artificial ability to pay for it that the government has created (which leads back to my initial assertions).

Also, extra points to you for setting up a straw man on "this stuff" and "really worthwhile" when you introduced both of those things. That was masterful.

Of course by "this stuff" I was making a synonymous statement that you introduced, "this work" and "really worthwhile" for "value." Still really masterful on your part.

12. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

just printed tickets for a sweet concert that I'm going to with PatrickBOOTH.

2 people like this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. erictheobscure

God, I had momentarily forgotten what a windbag you are. I think people can read for themselves what I've written and that I was being perfectly frank. (Go back to my reply to your original passive aggressive query and you'll see what I had to say, especially under the spoiler.)

And, BTW, this all started with me posting on the happy thread with a minor but nice thing that happened to me professionally.

2 people like this.
  15. gomestar

we're going to turn it to volume 11

2 people like this.
  16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Don't forget all of the required taxpayer-funded gym classes that every takes up through high school. They provide a great place for kids to learn about various sports, discover which they are good at and which they enjoy, all without having to invest in a bunch of equipment (or even special shoes for individual sports). Or all of the parks district leagues that benefit from the local tax base.

There was an article in Forbes about a year ago lamenting the loss of shop class in CA and how it was only going to further compound the problem of a lack of qualified entrants into the skilled trades (as well as cut off potential artists/craftsmen who might develop an interest in working with those materials). They tried to make the point that the Physical Education requirement props up the professional sports industry by providing early training and selection to kids and that we should be doing the same for jobs that the country actually needs (and which any random student is infinitely more likely to actually pursue). I don't entirely buy it...but I don't disagree that gym class provides early training for both the sports audience (who can appreciate the game having learned the rules and played it) and players.

My thought on this is that I'll agree that average joe society has largely dismissed deep research in the humanities. But there is still apparent value in a rounded education that includes the humanities. In order to get instructors who can thoroughly teach it, you need people with a deep understanding and desire to pick this stuff apart--they aren't going to be happy just stopping at a certain level of knowledge and teaching (it might work for grade school teachers who teach a pretty basic curriculum, but not for higher level stuff).
    The research funding is part of the cost we pay to have those professors available. They may not teach anything as in depth as their research to undergrads filling a requirement, but the research is what keeps them there and their research may well be something that does get taught to those students 50 years from now (after all, my 1st year physics class touched on quantum mechanics and all sorts of things that were just detailed minutia 50 years ago).

These costs are partially covered with government aid, in the same way we cover basic scientific research...nobody sees an immediate profit in it and is willing to make investments, but I'd argue it is still something we want taking place in our country.

3 people like this.
  17. in stitches

blink 182?

18. gomestar

no, but I did try to go to a Blink concert with him. Couldn't score tickets in time.

19. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Think I'm gonna do that right now. Thinking about selling my stark and I'd like to replace it with something I like a bit better if I do.

._________________________

Just confirmed I will be working in Malmo on the Sigurros tour, which is important, because I want to buy things and need the money. I may even get that Norse Projects beanie I like but have no reason to own.

20. in stitches

yes, you posted about that right? i imagine pB was shattered for weeks.