1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Rush > all.

FACT!

1 person likes this.
  2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Of all your posts, that was easily your stupidest.

3. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

That's actually not at all true. While they tend to write pretty straight-forward songs, they're in truth quite good musicians. Gene Simmons, in particular, is a far better bass player than many would believe because he's not a show off and their music just doesn't typically make room for bass solos.

4. Teacher

Revenge is definitely one of their strongest studio albums. I put it right up there with Destroyer, Rock and Roll Over, Creatures of the Night, and now, Monster. (Yes, I love Monster that much.)

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Does anyone here listen to Gwar?

6. edinatlanta

DUDE...

7. edinatlanta

I also don't get why people say this about KISS as if it is a bad thing. I mean, rock and roll is the genre that, famously, you only need three chords to play!

8. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

I'm hearing you guys out on this, but here's the problem: Even die-hard Kiss fans, which I know at least two of you are, are using defenses like "they are not bad" and claiming that they're good musicians who just don't show it with their musicianship. It's hard for me to believe that they're particularly good musicians when those are the best defenses their fans have to offer.

All of that said, I do think that Kiss has an important place in the history of rock 'n' roll, but I'm not sold on this whole "look, I know their playing doesn't show it, but they really are excellent musicians." I mean, that would be like me saying, "look, I'm really great at calculus, but my ability to solve equations doesn't show it."

Also, it's silly to me to argue that Kiss is awesome because they've "adapted." Being an excellent musician doesn't require you to adapt. If you're that good, you don't write disco songs when disco is popular; you keep doing what you've been doing. By "adapting," you're basically showing that your stuff doesn't stand on its own well enough to buck trends.

I don't doubt that Kiss puts on an awesome show (I'd go to one, and I'm not even a fan), and they might write songs that have become anthems. However, to me, that's not the same as being good musicians.

What I don't understand is why Kiss fans feel the need to defend their musicianship when the band's strengths lie elsewhere, and, frankly, it's those other strengths that made them a part of rock 'n' role lore. I mean, y'all could just say, "yeah, they're not particularly good musicians, but they're awesome showmen, and I love 'em for it," and that would be cool. No need to frame them as something they're not.

9. edinatlanta

That's in fact, not what I said. I said they are good musicians, they play music that is perceived as not having the depth of other musicians but even if that were true it is not a bad thing.

10. edinatlanta

Also, FFS, shut the fuck up MrG, you like Buffett.

There's no worse example of no-talent, non-skilled awful musicians pushing schlock to the masses than that shit.

11. Teacher

I didn't. I stated it as a fact. They don't write complex songs like Yes or Rush, but then, they don't set out to, either.

But here's my question: if you can only name three Kiss songs, how can you be so sure they aren't good musicians? My previous point was that their goal was to write more straight-ahead songs, not complex arrangements. That doesn't automatically exclude them from being very good musicians. I really don't feel the need to "defend" them, but when someone listens to a few of their songs and wrongly assumes they aren't very good musicians, I do feel the need to point that out as a pretty basic error.

I'll also never claim that they're at the pinnacle of musicianship, but they are very good.

I'd earlier neglected to point out Peter Criss. He was a very accomplished drummer, but his strengths didn't come in his speed. Rather, due to his jazz and big band background, he was a master at varying his amplitude, adding a sort of "texture" to his drumming that most rock drummers never have had. The best power drummer around? No. Neil Pert would blow him out of the water.

12. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I've heard more than three Kiss songs, Teach, but I wasn't impressed enough by them to keep listening. I also wasn't impressed with the few that I know offhand (though I will admit "God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You II" is a fun song). I don't think we should be expected to have a comprehensive understanding of a band's work before we can decide they're not particularly good. I mean, I'm assuming we all agree that Justin Bieber sucks, but I don't think any of us is willing to confirm that by memorizing his catalog.

I will admit that I don't know what their goal was when writing songs, so it would be disingenuous of me to argue that is or isn't the case, though I still think their music is the best proxy for judging their musicianship. (I know that sounds sarcastic, but I don't mean it that way; it's just the best way I could phrase it.)

I'd be willing to give Kiss another try if someone can give me a handful of their favorite songs. (Full disclosure: I'm a little put off by the cheesiness factor I perceive in Kiss, so I can't promise I'll ever convert to being a fan, but I'm at least willing to be convinced they're better musicians than I think they are.)

This sick burn took longer than I expected.

Now please go find that time I defended Jimmy Buffett's musicianship.

I'll wait.

(Hint: You won't find it, because I've never done it. Buffett's strength is not in his musicianship. In fact, Buffett himself admits he's not a particularly good musician. What he is is an excellent storyteller/songwriter and performer, which is why I like his music. So, yeah, I basically did what I recommended y'all do in my last paragraph.)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think the very subtle way they sing of their dicks and how women want them is something few of us could master.

1 person likes this.
  14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Only small-timers need somebody else to pay them a bonus. Big-timers just take their profits.

Somebody has been studying for the LSAT.

I don't listen to them but have always admired their fashion sense.

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Piob is correct.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I got a new keyboard for my computer at work. It is so awesome. I feel like 12% more productive already.

17. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

You idiots. Steely Dan > all.

18. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Today I successfully navigated the bureaucracy to obtain a box of my favorite pens, which are technically supposed to be unavailable. This is a profound accomplishment, FYI.

19. Biscotti

Biscotti Well-Known Member

20. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Shut the fuck up

1 person likes this.