1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

This.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Think we're saying the same thing.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

The other day I was at the grocery store, and a young lady--maybe 15 or so-- who was there with her mom said of someone else "that guy looks like a tard!" The young lady didn't look like a champ herself, truth be told, with muffin top of abdomen and whatnot. And so I looked at the mother and made a kind of "wtf" gesture, so as to indicate that her child should not be throwing stones (glass house). The mother straightaway turned as red as a beet juice and retreated to another aisle.

2 people like this.
  5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yesterday I learned some amusing facts about donald trump's "success".

Apparently he inherited a great deal of money from his father (who made most of it thanks to FHA programs following the depression) which is what allowed him to create his business empire.

The kicker though, is that if he had just put that money in a savings account (a higher yielding one, but still talking savings account returns, not even 8% average market returns), he would actually have more money today than he has made from his famed business acumen.

Note: I haven't actually researched this myself, but the claim was put forth by the person running last night's bar trivia. His shit's usually right because otherwise people will just look it up on their smartphones and call him out on it...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Not that I dispute the notion that Trump's an idiot, but that strikes me as one of those things that better described as "facts" rather than facts.

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Yeah, unless he literally inherited a billion dollars I can't see 8% compound for 40 years doing more than owning manhattan property

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Doing a pinch of research, it sounds like he might have inherited 40-200m (which was quite a lot of money in 1970). Even if it wasn't all directly inherited (his father didn't die until 1999), he got to play with the money as head of the business.

if you say he got 100m to play with when he took over the company in 1971 and you give that S&P500 returns until last year, you'd get 5.7b which is more than he is estimated to be worth now.

But I don't see quite how the savings account would do it. If you started with the full 200m, you would need ~7% annual growth to make it to 3b.

Still, it is a lot easier to make money as a property mogul when you inherit a ton of capital and a firm that already owns and develops a ton of property.

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The key probably lies in his bankruptcies. If he hadn't gone bankrupt, he would have far more money now. I suppose the recovery from bankruptcy is still impressive.

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Lots of students have dropped my Intro Philosophy class already. Maybe it is because they feared they would do poorly. Or maybe just they didn't like my ways.

11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i wish i was in a position to make that financial call.

12. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Ask them or maybe not..

13. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

From what I remember, there were easier classes than Phil 101 to fulfill gened requirements at least at my school. I took symbolic logic which I found much easier than reading philosophy.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I hear Dr. Lee is a very easy grader.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Maybe they just saw your trolling on the KISS forum and figured they cannot learn rom you.

2 people like this.
  16. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

All right, almost confirmed to pay for the privilege to have a cat stay at my home :happy:

on a unrelated note, just saw my old high school's math team won some regional award, there last name were Kim, Lee, Lu, Wu, Zhu, Zou, what a surprise...

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Ready for my flight to NYC tomorrow

1 person likes this.
  18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Roughly, although the cat doesn't care about you, as long as you feed it.

I've had 3.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  19. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

stay all the way for the labor day weekend? have fun!

20. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I was pretty psyched that my hometown made it to the Little League championships, but I'm also enjoying the delicious irony that they lost to Tijuana (for 3rd place overall).