1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

things that are making you happy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Glad you had a great time with edina.

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

sounds great, G. glad you all had a great time.

funny you should say that about your vacay, as this year is the first time we have a vacay planned that will just be for the wife and i with the kids. we always go away in the summer with other family members, and i have been kinda afraid that it wont be the same without the usual suspects.

going to a new vacay spot that we have never been to and dont know that lay of the land. no cousins for our kids to play with and no other adults for my wife and i to hang with. sometimes activities are not quite the same when its just a few people.

im not saying that am not excited about being with my family, but its not the standard for our vacations, and with change the outcome is always questionable. you have given me hope though that i too can have a successful vacay. thanks!

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

sounds great.

I had a great weekend, too. I love the summer weekends, nothing too special going on. hung out with a dad and drank beer and smoked cigars while I kids had a playdate, dinner with some friends, walked to the library and had icecream with the kids. nothing earth shattering but a lot of fun

4. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

Real question - what do you actually like? It can be anything - TV show, movie, food, musician, artist, color, country, type of tree, day of the week, anything.

3 people like this.
  5. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

He likes Steely Dan, which makes him OK in my book.

6. in stitches

Everyone likes steely dan. Well, at least the should.

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Neither of those claims is true, to my way of thinking at least.

1 person likes this.
  8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

the old owner of the house left this old rotting clothes hanger in the yard. its one of those hexagonal shaped monstrosities with old decaying rope. on saturday I was curious and ended up putting some bedsheets/towels/comforter on it. It would slowly actually swivel with the gusts of wind and produce scary horror movie sounds. I never believed when old people I know would say that line drying is better/fresher/nicer - but damn these sheets/towels/shirts/comforter really are super fresh and nice.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

He likes Europe and telling us how it's superior to the US.

1 person likes this.
  10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Only in general though. If you name something specific, he probably hates it.

2 people like this.
  11. in stitches

for shame.
    --

why enjoys not enjoying things. it is not an uncommon malady to have. most often encountered on the world wide web.

12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I enjoy not enjoying things because it reminds me of how I'm superior to the kinds of people who enjoy things that aren't worth enjoying. If you get my drift.

2 people like this.
  13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

My type of vacation. Glad you enjoyed it.

14. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

What I've put in bold is the best part, IMO. I try to avoid vacays with extended family members or friends, though I do it once a year during Memorial Day weekend. I'm an introvert, so to me, less is better.

1 person likes this.
  15. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Thanks, Piob! It really was great.

:laugh:

:uhoh:

No.

It was great, thanks. I wish I were still there!

I'm really glad we did the trip with just our nuclear family. It's nice to see everyone when we do the big trips, but it also gets tiresome dealing with all of the personalities, different preferences, etc. of extended family. It might just be my family, but it often felt to me like there was as much stress as enjoyment on those big trips. This afforded us the chance to avoid all of that hassle and just do whatever we wanted, and I felt like I got to spend time with my wife and son in a way that wasn't possible when there was a big group around.

It was, for sure!

Sounds like your weekend was awesome. Those weekends where you have stuff to do but aren't booked solid are the best, especially in the summertime.

Thanks! Definitely my type of vacation, too!

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I worked so fuckin hard today. The company made their money on ME.

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

i hear ya. horses for courses. my wife for example cant be more excited about this vacay. doing this for her will probs the most points i will have earned in quite some time.

as to the bold, defo not just your family, and that is probably one of the biggest advantages in this as far as i am directly concerned. i usually deal with booking the flights, hotels, and rental cars for everyone, and avoiding all that stress will be huge.

i think my issue is more that i have really nailed down things for when we go to the mountains, and i know where i like to stay, what stuff i like to do.... and a lot of those activities are just more fun with a larger crowd. as well, i always enjoy having like minded adults around to horse around with and hang with after all the kids are in bed and what not. im sure this vacay will be great, and we have a lot of fun stuff in teh works, and i do love being with my family, its just new territory, and i hope it does not bomb.

another big concern for me is that for the first time in over 10 years, i wont be going to the rocky mountains for the summer. my heart is in the mountains, and its really sad for me that i wont be able to gaze at her beauty, majesty and splendor this summer. le sigh.

also, do you pronounce "nuclear" like W.?

18. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

"Nuke-u-lar, it's pronounced nuke-u-lar."

2 people like this.
  19. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

I'm a bad mother fucker.

20. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

been having issues lately at the home front, and I think (and hope) that's over.

1 person likes this.