• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
Thanks for this. I've been looking for a good source for Piment d'Espelette. You can't find it in the stores here.
Really? It is everywhere here.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Really? It is everywhere here.

Nope. Even the specialty stores don't have it. I can't find Thai peppercorns anywhere, either.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that's the thing with most things concerning food or drinks. One can hardly try out prepacked things in stores before buying. I would let my gut lead. Design is important, not too cheap etc. I myself have this one. It's the one I've seen most often in speciality stores. It tastes good though I can't say whether it's very good cause I didn't taste any different yet.
86.png

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit, if I can't taste test, I will usually buy whichever product has nicer packaging.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, to me this is very important, too. I sometimes wonder how silly - to me - people can be to wrap expensive food in ugly packaging... The only problem is that mediocre food in nice packaging is less good than good food in mediocre packaging.. but who knows before trying, anyway one still has something beautiful for the eyes.
wink.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
So, how do I know which one of those tastes the nicest? Is it the most expensive one? Or, the one with the nicest packaging? This is one of the reasons I dislike buying things over the internet. Most stores I go to, I can at least test the product before I buy it.
Piment d'Espelette is a small production AOC product that is not particularly subtle in taste, so there is almost no difference between best and worst. The one b1os posted is the one I generally see in the markets around us in France, and is is quite good. Just don't keep any of them longer than about a year. They fade like all spices.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just be careful not to buy some "fake" product from the Spanish Basque region. They seem not to be as good as the French one... whyever... So look out for the AOC.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b1os
Just be careful not to buy some "fake" product from the Spanish Basque region. They seem not to be as good as the French one... whyever... So look out for the AOC.

hmmm, i'm afraid you might be talking about pimenton. that is not a "fake" product at all. in fact, smoked pimenton is one of my favorite spices. called "de la vera" it is a DOC product as well.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
hmmm, i'm afraid you might be talking about pimenton. that is not a "fake" product at all. in fact, smoked pimenton is one of my favorite spices. called "de la vera" it is a DOC product as well.
They aren't exactly interchangeable, but I prefer pimenton for cooking and piment for finishing. It has a more beautiful texture. I also like to use whole dried nora peppers.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is just what I have read in, I think, "Der Feinschmecker". They said, the Spanish one is a substitue but due to a different - not as benificial- growing area less qualitative, though often sold as "original" piment d'espelette. Pimenton might be a good spice, no doubt, but wiki says it is grown in western Spain. So no possible mix up there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads