1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things that are making you happy*******food and drink edition******

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

oh, and earlier in the week I ordered a bunch of random Alessi and Iittala platters and bowls from Amazon simply because we needed more of that stuff for entertaining and I had a gift card. Wouldn't you know there's a "4 for 3" special going on and a bunch of that stuff is included. There prices are already good, but with the promo they didn't charge for my cheapest item (so I saved like $65 on priced that I already couldn't beat locally). Again, awesome.

2. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

Just got a Vitamix.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Just had the most successful and fulfilling night of my professional life. :) :slayer:

4. mgm9128

mgm9128 Well-Known Member

This stuff is getting me excited for the Fall: Wild boar with porcini and I think some nutmeg and other spices. Incredibly delicious.

[​IMG]

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

gomestar's post reminded me that I should be making my wedding registry now, muahaha. It's gonna be so obnoxious. I know I want some Laguoile knives, some Christofle silverware, some good china, some novelty china (I'm thinking Hermes Les Maisons Enchantées) and then some everyday beater stuff (Graffiti?) some more Schott Zweisel wine glasses, maybe some crystal barware - plus a Thermomix. I will probably collect good Japanese knives on my own while in Japan over time, make it like a monthly treat to myself or something.

In Korea, really traditional people get the women's family to get a pair of matching his and her wristwatches, and those white and black Blancpain Fifty Fathoms look really fun right about now, but I haven't heard a word in my house about me getting more watches... :fu:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. mgm9128

Laguiole is nice; My mom has some of their knives.

For china, I would recommend Nikko for everyday use (this is the pattern I have: http://www.bestwishes.net/nichke.html). For something fancier, I'd go with Bernadaud, particularly the "Ecume" line.

Riedel makes fantastic wine glasses, especially the hand made line.

7. impolyt_one

I think I am gonna ask for Raynaud china, and then some Narumi for Asian style settings. I have broken every Riedel I've ever had but one, however my Schott Zweisel stuff has gone on a few years now. I'm pretty pleased with it, and it's nicely priced. It's a little hotel bar'ish compared to Riedel, but I think the durability is good.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

9. mgm9128

I'd skip the watch and ask for some Mauviel cookware and a nice range.

10. impolyt_one

I won't have the space for too much, that's why I'm so into this Thermomix idea - all I'm gonna have is that and one of those $1500 new-age Japanese rice cookers that uses a stone pot inside. Tokyo kitchens are about the same size as small NYC kitchens.

Also, her mom has been a cook, and my mother collects kitchenwares pretty extensively; between the two old ladies there is a full bedroom or quite possibly two of just ceramics and kitchen stuff we're gonna inherit, from like handmade antique Japanese pottery to old American stuff - my mother has hundreds of pieces of multiple popular American everyday ceramics in multiple complete series, like the Fire King in the jade color, there might be 1000 pieces of that. It's gonna be pretty crazy eventually. Need a McMansion.

11. mgm9128

I thought you were moving to the US?

12. impolyt_one

Gotta stay in Japan for a little bit, those are the breaks of marrying someone and trying to get them into the country. It takes awhile nowadays.

13. mgm9128

I was asked by a mother to marry her Bulgarian daughter in Cape Cod a few weeks ago. She was there as a student. Very nice looking, and good personality, but I don't think I'll ever settle down and marry. Not for my sake, but for theirs; I don't see how anyone would be able to live with me, 24/7.

14. SField

SField Well-Known Member

You are a caricature of yourself.

15. impolyt_one

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

17. mgm9128

But, really, I think it may be nice to have a wife one day. I just have yet to find the right person. I went out to dinner last week with two women that were my parent's age. They were both extremely easy to talk to--a real pleasure--and I found them infinitely more interesting than any girls my age.

18. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

19. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

we have the Bernardaud Ecume on our registry. And the Renzo Piano flatware from Iittala (she is an architect and he is her favorite). And a Gaggia espresso machine. And a Vitamix. Other than that it's mostly just odds and ends, we already have most everything we'd ever want.

And I put a Glashutte Panomatic Lunar on there but was told to take it off. :angry:

20. impolyt_one

I'd could easily make a $150K-$200 list of just wristwatches I'd take as gifts; alas, I was not born a Samsung child. :fu: