1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I used to think like that.

2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

You must think it's because of bad bosses. It's because there are an extremely limited number of seats and thousands of qualified people that want one.

No, it sucks hard a lot of the time. But it's an incredible stepping stone, and allows you to advance at a rocketship pace.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Just move to CA. They can't take away your unused vacation without paying you for it. Work for 40 years, don't take vacation, and get paid out when you retire/die at your desk.

4. archetypal_yuppie

When I left one firm for another, mid-year, a few years ago, the amount of G's I got for a few days of vacation I hadn't taken yet was a very nice surprise. And informs how you should take all your vacation since it's so valuable.

5. lawyerdad

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  6. lawyerdad

They can cap the amount you're allowed to accumulate, so that strategy no longer works in as many places as it used to.

I think you're half-joking, but I'd argue that portion of your statement is seriously erroneous.

People value time off from work to wildly different extents, and it's a very inefficient (notional) market. For a whole bunch of reasons, the employer needs to impute a fixed monetary value to vacation time. But that value may or may not be in line with how valuable that time off is to a particular employee. Some people hate their families and view work as an escape, etc. In effect, there's a huge arbitrage opportunity. If Booth really derives as little enjoyment out of days off as he says, the cash-out value may be a big windfall for him.

7. archetypal_yuppie

I wasn't joking. I was, however, working on the assumption that you will not get paid for days you don't take, which is SOP in the corporate world.

Firmly believe you should take all your vacation; it is part of your compensation. If you can get paid for days you don't take, it's different.

For the case where work is a person's "escape," then that person needs to change his/her non-work life and should his/her their vacation time to do it rather than waste it at the office. Work to live. Live to work is full retard.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

I'd sell back all my work time if I could.

1 person likes this.
  9. lawyerdad

Ah, I see. Yes, different predicate assumptions. Your statement makes much more sense to me, then.
    Having always worked in CA, I don't have a great sense of what's SOP in the rest of the corporate world, but at every professional job I've ever had (law firms, federal guv'mint, large multinational media company), people get cashed out when they leave for at least some of their unused vacation time. As brokencycle notes, that's a legal requirement here in the PRC, but it's also the company-wide policy of the non-California based public company I currently work for.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Since we're all ballers here, and only work with ballers, people here might not think of this but I did.

I remember being too poor to take my vacation hours. I liked my OT, which helped pay the bills, and if I took time off work it's not like I could afford to do anything in the realm of going to a destination for vacation. So years later when I reached positions that allowed me to either influence or just outright set policy I looked at PTO use of my lowest paid folks. What you have to remember about the service industry, which healthcare most certainly is, is that it's non-inventoriable. What this means is I cannot stockpile excess "service" and just roll it out of inventory when needed. Also, in service industries, your lowest paid staff are the staff that has the most interaction, and delivers the most service to, your customers. Basically care must be delivered when it needs to be delivered.

So to get to my point. I have a history of creating PTO buyout policies. I create two periods in a year, Xmas holiday season and summer holiday season, and allow folks to get paid out up to 60% of their banked PTO. They agree not to take vacation for these holiday periods, periods which traditionally drive labour costs up as you have to OT your staff and hire traveling staff (way higher rate), to cover. We have some details in place to stop from gaming the system but I've successfully created policies to keep my labour costs down and make my lowest paid staff happy about getting some extra $$ through PTO buyouts.

This is only for hourly positions. Salaried positions, which historically have zero replacement, is use it or lose it.

2 people like this.
  11. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Same in IL...they have to pay out unused vacation at change of employment. We had an opportunity here a couple years back to take a payout on vacation because our parent company was changing which LLC cuts the paychecks and thus we counted as getting new jobs in the eyes of IL law. I kept my PTO time back then though...I was on salary but still eligible for OT, so a week of vacation pay was significantly smaller than a week of working pay.

We do have accrual limits though...you can't earn more than your annual allotment at a time so eventually you stop accruing more if you don't take it. I believe it is also perfectly valid for employers here to have a use it or lose it policy where you simply get X days for the year and that resets each January regardless of what you have taken...creates the odd situation where if you quit on december 31st, you are owed money for unspent days...but if you continue to be an employee, you actually lose them.

12. lawyerdad

I'm not reading all that unless I get paid for the time.

4 people like this.
  13. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

Easy! Read it on company time. Preferably while taking a dump.

14. lawyerdad

Remind me not to hire you as my agent. I'm already getting paid for my bathroom time. Why would I start multi-tasking if I'm not getting paid more? Do I look like Booth?

2 people like this.
  15. ter1413

:crackup:

16. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

So when you sing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" at karaoke, do you substitute a different word for griddle or just mumble over it?

1 person likes this.
  17. capnMURPHY2021

capnMURPHY2021 Well-Known Member

I used to have a decent LTE signal at work for my phone, but recently the entire floor has become a deadzone. Fuck you, AT&T.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

To save time just tell me what a creative and thoughtful boss I am in developing policies that benefit both my workers and organization.

19. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Good to know. My previous employer was a large multi-national that had a use it or lose it policy except in CA, and CA employees were uncapped.

I agree about the inefficient market and arbitrage potential. I wonder if an employer could create some kind of internal market for employees to sell/gift vacation time - the implementation would be tricky. I know where my FIL works, they can gift sick time to each other, but their sick time rolls over every year, so it isn't incredibly common.

The other end of the spectrum is the unlimited time like Netflix or some others, but in reality companies find employees actually take less time off than when they had limited time off.

While I don't live to work, I do enjoy working, and I can see why some people rather not take vacation or would trade higher salary for less PTO. If someone like pB wants to spend the rest of his life working as much as he possibly can, I don't see why that is retarded. To each their own

I am certainly not a baller compared to the distinguished members of this forum, but I can remember, like you, being poor enough that my vacation time where I would pick up some side jobs or something. I still haven't taken a real destination vacation. Last year, I was traveling for work, so I just stayed for an extra three days, and I used my miles to bring my wife out with me.

20. ter1413

Nothing live a destination vacation and "unplugging" from the inter-web-work World.
    I try to take 2-3 each year.