1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I used to be majorly into road cycling. I'm willing to bet I'd beat you in a flat half century right this moment.

2. Piobaire

I would never do a tandem, and when we used to ride together we made a point of not matching, but this is kind of rich coming from someone that participates in the douchiest of all frat-bro sports except for possibly US lacrosse.

3 people like this.
  3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

GreenFrog and Piobaire seem to be locked in everlasting conflict, sort of like the Freebirds and the Von Erichs.

2 people like this.
  4. L'Incandescent

And then Ethan gets in the mix be like "Gentleman" Chris Adams and "the Handsome Half-Breed" Gino Hernandez.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Betimes I press one of the many PioButtons and get a meh response.

6. Biscotti

Biscotti Well-Known Member

7. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

You take that back.

Although I do know a guy with his letters tattooed on one ankle and J/24 on the other. Not a bad dude though. Great sailor.

1 person likes this.
  8. L'Incandescent

Hang in there, Biscotti. It sounds like you've got a lot of great opportunities on the horizon.

1 person likes this.
  9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Haven't you seen all of the "Cycling is the New Golf" media in the press?

If anything, I feel like competitive sailing is struggling to stay relevant in a lot of areas. Not seeing big fleets come out on the regular...not much weeknight racing, and much weaker weekend racing. I never thought it to be that douchey though--what a lot of people forget is that you only need one rich d-bag to own the boat. The rest of the people on the boat can be anybody, so long as their schedules can be open to it. The ibankers, consultants and biglaw types don't have the flexibility in their schedules. The traders usually do if they trade something with a market that closes...but the rest of the big frat-boy dbag career paths are not conducive to sailing.

Those guys have mornings free though...so all of the cycling clubs are out for their early morning rides, and around here the 30+ and 40+ masters races are always first thing in the morning, so those dudes can come in with their shiny carbon bikes (gotta have 2 identical bikes so you can leave one in the pit), race, and than get back to their busy lives. Weekend sailing events typically take the whole weekend, and often start on Friday.

1 person likes this.
  10. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

The bros in sailing are generally concentrated in collegiate dinghy sailing. Keelboat racing around here is mostly cops and firefighters getting their outdoors fix.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  11. Piobaire

When I cycled it was pretty all encompassing during the season. Every Saturday in the season was an organized ride somewhere with members of the club I was in. Leave at 4-5am (depending on how long of a drive to the location), then a century ride, then drive home. So pretty much your entire day on Saturday. Sunday was always a 30-50 mile "breakfast ride" so the breakfast took at least an hour and there goes most of your Sunday. Wednesday nights would be a 30-50 training ride and then I would pack in what I could the other nights. Then you start doing crazy things like four day events where you stay in college dorms and a few hundred folks gather to ride 3-5 days straight. I once did a century ride every day, four days straight, in a gathering like that.

Those morning rides you're talking about must be crits?

I'm looking at Litespeed Ti in a relaxed geometry. Seems like in 2014 that model is the T7. Seems to be about 3k with an Ultegra gruppo and wheelset.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I cycled through Paris with my boo a few years ago. It was the first time I was on a bike in over 10 years. Yup, I was wearing a suit too.

2 people like this.
  13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

:happy: hilarious. This is more like "Things I Don't Get", but when one is a blubberous, gigantic land whale, why do these people find it necessary to wear actual cycling gear e.g. spandex road shorts, a jersey and the like. I mean clearly you don't actually ride with any consistency because you're a fat ass and why do you find it necessary to squeeze your rolls into the bakery bag?

14. Piobaire

Outside of the actual utilitarian nature of cycling clothes I think folks just want to fit into the crowd. Don't underestimate that functionality though. The sewn in chamois, the elasticized bottom of jerseys so they don't ride up, the rear pockets, the gloves padded properly for cycling...it's easy to get carried away but some basic clothing really does make the experience better.

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

True true. Being comfortable on a ride is key... although my riding has been significantly less road cycling. I raced BMX for years growing up (was actually nationally ranked for a while) then got into mountain bike racing and moto... but I really enjoy road cycling in particularly nice areas. I'll probably get a new road bike here in the next year or so.

16. Piobaire

Geez, don't pay attention to cycling for 15 or so years and a once premium brand has apparently gone to hell in a hand basket. Litespeed is apparently second rate now.

:fu:

17. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

old man bike.

I miss my Cervelo. :(

18. Piobaire

And I'm an old man. I did the ultra stiff, twitchy geometry thing in the 90s. Just kicking this around a bit in my head. Seems like Lynskey is a market leader in this space at the moment.

19. Piobaire

People that brag about riding a "metric century." A century ride is 100 by god miles and not kilometres.

20. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

a few years ago, Litespeed and Moots were the big players in the titanium game. Carbon has pretty much taken over a big part of the market.