1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I got pick pocketed in a Rio bus :bigstar: they didn't steal anything - we had to take the bus, because the wife and I spent all our last cash at the Hippie Fare in Ipanema, but damn they managed to open my pacsafe bag (every damn zipper and flap) in less than 15 seconds.

rio was awesome, but most of the time was disappointed about how much dinners cost there. Porcao? I spent over $300 just for my wife and I and we didn't even drink. Pizza that was meh? $60!

I did have some epic meals there too that were great, but for me Brazil was more about the super diverse people and energy. It was like a rainforest jungle-ized hilly version of Miami with the same beaches.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

World Cup time ..

The prices must be sky high at the moment..

3. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

You ever see what you can make playing baseball/football vs the MLS?

4. LawrenceMD

even higher now probably. I was there last november.

There was one cab driver that I talked to back then that said: "I will only take $200 for any trip when the world cup and olympics happens!"

5. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

The MLS needs to be more attractive in terms of pay package and playing standard..

6. ter1413

Lesser TV ratings + Lesser advertisers = Lesser $ for the players.

7. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    A friend said on Facebook that a big reason soccer hasn't broken through here is because the format doesn't allow for commercials. Admittedly, I don't know enough about the sport to know for certain if that's true, but it definitely seems reasonable based upon what I know.

8. LawrenceMD

nothing compares to making money than owning an NFL franchise. its one of the few very successful models of socialized models of revenue sharing so much so that europeans want in and try to buy NFL franchises too.

9. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

They continue to attract old Great players stars to really attract to raise playing standard but they need more US born stars to attract real public interest and then investment.

10. ter1413

But when you can earn millions playing baseball/basketball/football...why bother with soccer....
    It's just more of a lower profile sport here in the US.

11. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

It's a catch 22 ...

Without public interest ,no investment and vice versa..

12. LawrenceMD

the reason why soccer isn't more popular/successful in north america? because it doesn't contain the best leagues with the best players. its that simple.

the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA all have the majority of the very best American Football, Baseball, Hockey and Basketball players in the world. Its just better to watch on tv and pay tickets to see the highest level of play.

Futbol's highest level of players (the majority) and teams play in leagues in Europe. So Americans will just watch the UEFA cup, La Liga, and EPL to get their soccer fix.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I did not say they like soccer I said they suddenly care about the World Cup. There's a clear difference.

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

The sports calendar in the US is packed full with leagues that are well established and popular. Any league outside the big four is going to have a hard time getting a foothold, no matter how high the quality,

I'm a casual soccer fan (cheer for Benfica), but I have a finite amount of attention and money I can devote to sport. It is easy for me to pay close attention to soccer during the World Cup because it is a short event, but I'm not really willing to pay as much attention otherwise. I don't know that that's such a bad thing.

15. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the World Cup is also full of day-long coverage and boat loads of office pools. It's much easier to be involved in the fandom for even the most casual non-fan.

16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i don't know what you're talking about. americans have always cared about world cup. we even created a soccer league just to host the world cup

1 person likes this.
  17. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

where are my keys?????

18. L'Incandescent

As I have grown older of year, I find that my stomach (aka "tummy") rebels more and more against spiciness of meal. I think from now on I might just eat oatmeal for breakfast and hotdish for dinner. (Those of you who did not grow up in the upper midwest might not know what I mean by hotdish. Basically hamburger, celery, macaroni, and tomato sauce.)

19. L'Incandescent

Maybe you dropped them into the toilet bowl after defecating.

1 person likes this.
  20. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

nah, i never wear pants and defecate at the same time........ [​IMG]