1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

This doesn't exactly piss me off, but this is the closest thread. So I'm generally regarded in my department as being very good at what I do. (Not meant as a brag, just essential for context.) So the other day a colleague was telling me all about a project he's working on. Then he says "I know you won't think that's very high-level philosophy, but I am proud of it." There's really nothing I can say in response to that. It positions me as someone who's already made a hostile judgment about his work when in fact I've done no such thing. But on the other hand, I'm not going to be all "Oh no way man it is high-quality work, high-quality indeed!!!"

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

3. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

We are in the process of sifting through all the bullshit and expense that is a trip to Disney for our child.

On its own, this might be annoying but the thought of taking one's child to Disney should, I suppose, be a rite of passage even for the most Scrooge-worthy of SF denizens. But what annoys me is really the following:

We have turned down invites from my parents to go spend time at Disney. This is because my in-laws were "first" in "claiming" their desire to "take" our daughter to Disney. Of course, my in-laws are brutal examples of the sort of people who have not saved appropriately for their lives or their retirement. In some ways, they were dealt a bad hand, and I won't go into the reasons, but my MIL is extremely entitled and doesn't deserve it. They have no retirement savings, they are underwater on their home, yet they just bought a new car, notwithstanding the fact that my MIL's outgoing car was newer than my own. Many of the things they do with money disgust me. Of course, they cannot afford to take my daughter to Disneyworld, so what we are discussing is in fact a trip where we pay to take my daughter, plus her grandparents, to Disney, while my MIL declares how happy she is to have been able to take her.

Fuck, this is under my skin.

1 person likes this.
  4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Hey Douglas I will be happy to take your child to Disney on the following conditions: 1) you pay for it; 2) you supervise your child the whole time; and 3) I don't have to go to Disney, but can stay home in STL.

For real, though, I know people like your MIL. (I have some in my family too.) I keep trying to get my head around why they spend their money the way they do, but I never even get close. It is frustrating, to say the least.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

With the stipulation that I understand why small kids may feel otherwise - Disney is awful. Just terrible. Maybe the only park I can tolerate is Epcot, and that's only during Food &Wine where I get so hammered I can tolerate anything

I also love a few hours' drive away so every visitor with kids wants me to take them there

6. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Oh hell no. Fuck no.

1 person likes this.
  7. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    That really sucks, Douglas. Sorry you have to deal with it.

8. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

oooh. sorry to hear, z.

#humblebrag

MIL's probly depending on the responsible and socially secure son in law to save them when the shit hits the repossessed fan.

9. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

oh, and we're supposed to move to our new place this friday... but there are still a lot of unfinished work. and we don't have curtains yet.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Why can't they rent a car and take themselves there?

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

because they come to visit me and while they're here, inevitably the weekend activity discussion meanders to Orlando. I usually offer to take the man/men to Cheetah or Pure Platinum in retaliation for that stupid idea

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

This might be the preppies poast ever on SF.

So I just got my W2 and considering last year's tax debacle I said I am going to file now. Well I just completed it and I can't e-file because of some dick who last year tried to get my tax refund so I have to print and mail it except I won't be able to mail it for a while. I was really looking forward to two big checks at once. Oh well. Anyway, side note, no idea how I made more than last year but now will be getting a much bigger refund. Not necessarily complaining but still.

13. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

My wife just booked three days at EuroDisney for the twins through work.

I couldn't escape this escapade under any circumstance...

Pray for me..

14. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

^ done that same thing last Aug.

What larks!

15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

You can drop the act, Lasbar. We all know you'll be there to leer at the women dressed as Disney Princesses.

16. edinatlanta

Upset that there's a new sheriff in town?

17. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

They do have some spectacular looking Disney princesses though, I will give them that.

18. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

^ not much cleavage action though!

19. edinatlanta

This thread has gotten really pervy, even by my standards.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Still sore.

Was planning on lifting today but I don't think I should.

In before lawyerdad poast obfuscation.