1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The major issue in NYC is when it snows a lot there is physically no place to put the snow. In the burbs it just get built up at the foot of everybody's lawns. Here with no lawns, and all of the cars on the street there is just nowhere to put the shit.

1 person likes this.
  2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

and of course it accumulates on the subway steps, and of course these become death traps to anybody with leather soles. I have painfully bitten the slippery dust a handful of times.

2 people like this.
  3. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I'm not going to make it but there is a De Blasio joke to be made.

1 person likes this.
  4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Isn't NYC surrounded by water? Just dump the shit in the water.

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This post made me laugh.

6. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

In the Blizzard of 1888 (yes, 1888) they had to push the snow into the ocean. There were drifts 30+ feet high.

That blizzard was also one of the biggest drivers of underground mass transit given the havoc it wreaked on surface transportation.

1 person likes this.
  7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Hey GF, I'm still on vacation, too. Not responding to e-mail or taking calls. It's glorious.;)

8. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

That's an environmental disaster in the making.

9. gomestar

that would work for the block next to the water. And that's assuming the WSH and FDR are closed.

10. patrickBOOTH

That's essentially what they do, but you can't just put down a plow and drive it straight into the water. The streets and shorelines aren't built like that, plus it is heavy and deep as shit once they start moving. It takes a long time. They get bulldozers to scoop it up and such.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

We do roughly the same thing, plow on the front of a contianer truck with a salt spreder on the back, that or a tractor.

Put it in the back of a truck and dump it in the sea/habour, that's what we do.

12. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

y u no have some dainite soles shoes?

13. gomestar

NYC has done the dumptruck of snow into the water thing. But the water is further away, they have to be careful about the water levels of the Hudson and East Rivers, which will naturally swell during storms.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

*flips the bird*

15. gomestar

i have some Buttero shoes from NMWA with a crepe sole that seems to be grippy enough. The problem isn't necessarily the big storms, it's the dustings or the sleeings that will still cause problems.

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I would love to see a snow plow go down my street right now. Haven't seen one all day, and the street is covered.

17. patrickBOOTH

Dianite soles are shit. Way more slippery on snow than oak bark leather. You need lug soles on snow.

18. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, big storms, you can just break out the serious boots and no one cares. Its the little ones that are more challenging from a wardrobe perspective.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

what they really do is just pile it up onto the cars street parked. the owners of the cars then just shovel it right back into the streets (where it will be salted and ran over by traffic anyway).

brooklyn last year, one of the bad winters with high snow, they just plowed the shit right up onto the cars on the street. it happened in 2010 too. you couldn't see the cars. then the unlucky ones had the mix of snow/salt that melted and created snow/ice cocoons around their cars. I saw some neighbors not move their cars for 3 weeks.

I was one of the people who didn't move my car, because they saw a convenient open space to pile 10ft high snow mounds... right in front of my fucking garage. :fu:

I ended up paying one of those garbage truck plow guys to make a part in the mound big enough for my car to back out of.

20. patrickBOOTH

Where the fuck do you live? I haven't seen snow all day.