• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been looking at grad school again recently but I can't make up my mind about it. Is it worth taking on the debt and spending years of my life on? I'd pursue the degree part-time, so this isn't something I could complete in two years. Leaning no, at least for the foreseeable future.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a ******* masters student and they have me doing groupwork like it's highschool. There are two complimentary papers, mine needs to be a response to my partner's. His English is worse than my french, so I have to revise his paper so we don't get flunked on it, and our extension was to 3pm tomorrow, he sent it to me an hour ago, and I have a makeup for another class in seven hours.

FFS.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've been looking at grad school again recently but I can't make up my mind about it. Is it worth taking on the debt and spending years of my life on? I'd pursue the degree part-time, so this isn't something I could complete in two years. Leaning no, at least for the foreseeable future.

The only reasons why one should go to grad school:

1. He/she has received a full, or close-to-full, scholarship
2. He/she has loaded parents who will foot the bill
3. He/she works at a firm that will foot the bill
4. He/she absolutely must in order to advance in his/her career and has absolutely no doubt in their mind that their current career is the career of their choice

The fact that you can't make up your mind further points towards NOOOOOOO.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If this is a big company and a fairly senior position, this number of interviews is the norm and not the exception. I understand it's frustrating but I think that's the way it is. As everyone's said, a third interview is a very good sign. The top guy in the department probably just wants to meet you for a final sign off on the hire
+1. Where I work we usually bring back people considered for senior-level positions at least 3 times.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

4. He/she absolutely must in order to advance in his/her career and has absolutely no doubt in their mind that their current career is the career of their choice

I don't fit those criteria. Particularly 4. Even if I stayed in my organization for another 15 years, I don't think lack of a grad. degree would make advancement impossible. Quite a few senior managers only have BAs.

I think I'd consider online, but currently there's still a stigma associated with online degrees (even though schools like USC, UNC, Northwestern, etc. offer online MPAs).

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've taken a couple of those MOOCs...one was really good (and it was free so I didn't have any issue taking only the first half and stopping after the midterm when they switched to content that didn't pertain to me). The one I am taking now is not as good, but I am sticking with it since I want the knowledge. There is another one that I watched one lecture of and decided not to bother...which apparently has become known as a shining example of terrible course design.

I imagine real tuition-paid and professor-attentioned online schoolin' is better...but not by much.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

1) My first grad degree I got a full ride but for my MBA I paid out of pocket.
2) My mother never lived above the poverty level and my father dropped dead when I was 9.
3) Nope
4) I still doubt my career choice.

Conne, if you can get your degree while you work why the **** not? Time in front of the TV eating Cheetos or adding something of significance to your resume. Is it even a question?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get pissed that there are people who I work with who's goal in life is not to be blamed for anything.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If this is a big company and a fairly senior position, this number of interviews is the norm and not the exception. I understand it's frustrating but I think that's the way it is. As everyone's said, a third interview is a very good sign. The top guy in the department probably just wants to meet you for a final sign off on the hire

You hit the nail on the head. When I called back, my HR contact pretty much said, "it won't be a long interview. The director just wants to meet you."

Isn't this what that walking germ magnet you call a child is perfect for?

How do you think I got the time off for the second interview?

G, just wanna wish you good luck. i know its a pain, but it will surely be worth it if you land it. hit the road, jack.

Thanks, Stitch. I'm feeling good about the opportunity, earlier freakout about getting to the interview notwithstanding.

+1. Where I work we usually bring back people considered for senior-level positions at least 3 times.

Good to know. Thanks for the reassurance! This is technically a "senior" position, but I'm not sure if that's why they're being so thorough. I was thinking back to my first interview, and I remember the division director going on at some length about how this position can be tougher/more challenging than the others at the same level. I can't help but wonder if that's part of their motivation for being as certain as possible they'll be happy hiring me.

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I get pissed that there are people who I work with who's goal in life is not to be blamed for anything.

That is a noble endeavour. I live my life by a similar philosophy.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Asian girls need to be banned from reviewing restaurants online. Their collective body of work on Yelp is one of humanity's least redeeming accomplishments. I don't think you'd be overreaching to suggest their criticisms of authenticity or the appeal to their own ethnicity to validate those claims should be met with capital punishment, one pompous ***** at a time.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1) My first grad degree I got a full ride but for my MBA I paid out of pocket.
2) My mother never lived above the poverty level and my father dropped dead when I was 9.
3) Nope
4) I still doubt my career choice.

Conne, if you can get your degree while you work why the **** not? Time in front of the TV eating Cheetos or adding something of significance to your resume. Is it even a question?

Yes, but times are a-changin.

The opportunity cost of getting a master's degree these days is much, much higher, and even more so when you're saddling yourself up with debt to pay for it.

Obviously it's a personal choice and everyone's circumstances are vastly different, but I'm of the mindset that it just isn't worth it if you're going to be footing the bill yourself and your career of choice absolutely doesn't require higher education for advancement.

Edit: I'm assuming a debt load of greater than six figures and a full-time program.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Yes, but times are a-changin.

The opportunity cost of getting a master's degree these days is much, much higher, and even more so when you're saddling yourself up with debt to pay for it.

Obviously it's a personal choice and everyone's circumstances are vastly different, but I'm of the mindset that it just isn't worth it if you're going to be footing the bill yourself and your career of choice absolutely doesn't require higher education for advancement.

Conne...do you want to be Froggie or me?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads