1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

not being able to access your money can be a death sentence for small business owners (and those living off interest). even if you can get back the money through insurance, a couple months with out it will force a lot of people into bankruptcy.

I lived in a affluent town, and it affected so many people that year, it was scary because it caused mass hysteria, with people even living in mansions to start liquidating all their stuff (like holding yard sales and selling off their luxury cars). it was the early 90's so there was no internet and craigslist/eBay/ect so you'd get all these cold calls from neighbors and friends selling off their range rovers/boats sometimes even houses for super cheap

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    USAA FTMFW.

1 person likes this.
  3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Lol at plebes without personal bankers and accountants

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Lol at ignorant douchebags who don't know the definition of "plebe"

3 people like this.
  5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

My experience with them has been pretty much the same as when I dealt with a commercial bank. The big difference has been the motivation for the credit union. While I'm sure that the business makes money in some way, mine is strictly not-for-profit and so all of it is supposed to stay in and be spent on the CU or something like that. It's owned by the members and the collective credit of everyone involved is supposed to provide better leverage for credit transactions than people might get on their own.

Something like that. I'm sure there's a finance guy here somewhere who will correct me. At the moment, I'm still dreaming of living as a research scientist after my doctorate and am avoiding the inevitable shift towards financials until absolutely necessary.

Something like this almost happened to my CU during the 2008 crisis. Given their size and relationship with TI though, they have managed to come out of it okay (at least according to the letters they send me - which could be total bullshit).

I have most of my essential insurances through them, but I've not dealt with their banking. My parents have dove in though and supposedly they do a good job.

6. GreenFrog

I actually didn't know plebe was different than pleb.

Good catch.

Let me rephrase:

LOL at plebs without personal bankers and accountants.

7. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

It's basically unjustifiable to treat your depositors this way. The alleged justification is to protect creditors in bankruptcy, but why would you protect a third party at the expense of your own patrons? Clearly they don't have to, which is why they are the only bank doing this. I wouldn't trust any bank that does this with my money. Thankfully I use a credit union that would never dream of this nonsense.

8. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

While I definitely prefer CUs to banks, I would not go so far as this. Financial institutions are financial institutions and they've given me no reason to believe that they will not screw anyone at any time if they think it will be a net benefit to them.

9. patrickBOOTH

You could always do what my father does and buy a safe. My father has never owned a share of stock in his life. It is crazy, but it was also kind of comical around the time of the market collapse and credit crunch. He was laughing calling everybody "suckers". It was right from some sort of satirized movie.

10. GreenFrog

The real suckers are the people who haven't been in the market since 2009.

11. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i have never used the word plebe in front of my father in law. he went to the Naval Academy, so i feel like it would be out of place.

12. patrickBOOTH

Tell that to my father with his 12 guns and handlebar mustache.

13. patrickBOOTH

I have a friend who went to a military boarding school. He was telling me about plebe training just this weekend. He knows not the pleb though, he comes from a baller family and he is a baller CEO of his own company. Fuck him.

14. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Your dad sounds like an awesome guy to have a beer with.

15. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Really????

16. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

they have been bombarding the radio waves with commercials as of late. some are ok, but some of the people they get to talk about it make me wanna barf. sounds like a decent bank, but i dont know if i would be eligible.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

i have a couple high school batch mates that went to famous military colleges. the weird part is how dorky these normally scary alpha males get with each other (lots of military songs sang in unison and calling each other emasculating nicknames).

it spans different generations too, i was in yankee stadium with my friend and sat next to a fellow elderly military collage grad they started drinking heavily singing their military songs within minutes.

18. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

WTF????

Next person I see wearing apparel from my college, i'm going to go up to them and start singing the alma matter. First, I must learn it.

3 people like this.
  19. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

This would be kind of awesome. Just have a million in cash sitting in your basement, going down to count it every weekend and whisper sweet nothings. Precioussssss.

20. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Got something against handlebar mustaches, guns and not trusting banks?