1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I think I saw a gray hair in the mirror. I ain't got nothin to live fo no mo.

2. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    The super-slow-on-the-highway thing is infuriating. Worse than that, though, are the people who think nothing of stopping dead in the middle of the highway so they can change lanes. I see this every day on stretches where there's a ramp coming on relatively close to an exit. You get gridlock in the two right lanes, where people are trying to merge/exit, and then you always have people in the third-to-right lane who decide they're not going to wait in the gridlock, so they drive up, slam on their brakes, and try to break into the line. Beyond the obvious idiocy of slamming on your brakes abruptly, if no one lets them in (and no one should), they end up just sitting there not moving while traffic comes up on them at highway speeds. There's one stretch in particular where this happens constantly, and, I swear, if I die in a car wreck during my commute, it's going to be on that section.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I had a slight fever and headache last night. Took some Advil, went to bed early, and figured I'd be fine by this morning. The fever is gone but I'm achy and groggy, just generally out of it. Told my boss I'd come in at 1pm but I'm not sure that's going to happen now. :fu:

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

There are two left turn lanes that get drivers onto the Interstate in my neighborhood. (I'm talking Interstate 64 East for those of you who like details.) I swear, each of the last four days I've gotten on the Interstate, someone in the right left-turn lane has decided to make his turn shorter by simply cutting into the left lane, irregardless of whether someone was already there. I seriously wonder what people are thinking when they do that maneuver.

5. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm becoming antisocial or what, but I am starting to get really close to the end of my rope with Facebook.

6. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Confucius says, "the key to happiness is leaving Facebook."

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

No, its Facebook.

You shouldn't take medicine like that, when you have a fever, the fever is the bodies way to fix the problem.

8. L'Incandescent

My facebooking experience became much more pleasant once I learned how to make certain people's posts not show up on my wall. I accepted their friend requests because that's the kind of person I am (nice), but I don't want to see their crackpot notions.

9. edinatlanta

:(

10. L'Incandescent

No way don't get the wrong idea edinatlanta your posts still show up. I always enjoy reading about your antics (and KISS commentary).

11. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I'm not a doctor but this sounds like some holistic nonsense. I doubt Advil is a good enough fever reducer to make any difference.

12. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

It's not quite nonsense, but the jury is very much still out on whether or not fever is actually a defense mechanism. That being the case, there's a pretty strong argument that there's more to be gained in comfort by reducing the fever than there is to be lost in illness defense by doing the same.

13. L'Incandescent

I mentioned this in the FB thread, but I've been seeing a lot of posts like "I am straight up pissed y'all better step back!" But then they won't say what they're pissed about, leaving you to wonder if it might be you.

14. Douglas

I don't know what the accepted wisdom on this is anymore. A week ago, I would have agreed with you, but my kid got the flu last week and her fever was like 101 so I was holding off on giving her a fever reducer. She didn't seem too miserable and I thought "hey, her body is fighting the infection."

I took her to Patient First just to make sure that there wasn't anything else going on, and when I arrived, the nurse said "when was the last time she had a fever reducer" and I said "I haven't been giving them to her, I thought a fever, as long as it's not crazy high, is beneficial" and she gave me a look like I was some kind of child abuser. She said "You have to give her something at a certain point" and then gave her a double dose of Motrin.

15. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

From what I understand, and this is based upon a lengthy conversation about pediatric fevers I had with a friend who is a doctor when my son spiked one as an infant, unless the fever is dangerously high (and 101 ain't in a kid as old as yours), the decision to treat is based upon the question of comfort. There's no harm in treating the fever, but there's also no necessity in doing so if your kid is comfortable and you don't feel like giving them meds just for the sake of it.

Fever is a natural, generally harmless, side effect of illness, and there's no conclusive evidence that it is intrinsically beneficial for fighting the illness.

16. Find Finn

I generally avoid medicine, unless I have to take it, its good.

I have been told by a nurse and a doctor, that you (grown ups) should avoid them if possible, but I'm not american, so what do I know.

17. Douglas

A quick googling seems to indicate most pediatricians do say fever is good, but I don't see much other than pediatricians saying "fever can help fight infection" and not much else beyond that.

Yeah, 101-102 is not high in a child, and she was not miserable, so I thought I was doing the right thing. Not according to these ladies.

The Motrin (ibuprofen) definitely brought her fever down, no question.

18. Find Finn

The site crashing every time I try to post.

19. edinatlanta

Before you had a FB Friend...
    You used to try every day.
    Now you got a FB friend
    And you find every day
    something funny to read.

In keeping me as an FB friend.... you got nothing to lose.

It is a sign.

20. Biscotti

Biscotti Well-Known Member

Ed let's be FB friends