1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I made coffee earlier this evening but then forgot completely about it went to waste (there are starving people in China).

1 person likes this.
  2. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

My doctoral dissertation proposal presentation is in a week, and I just finished the first draft of the proposal document to send out to my committee.

3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Must be a very thorough draft, requiring little change, then. Won't cause a problem some red bull can't cure anyway. Best of luck with the proposal!

4. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Wel at least me being pissed off made somebody smile.[​IMG]

"intelligence without a practical application is imbecillic" - i understand what they are saying, and it IS fucking hilarious. dreamers with a PHD in idiot.

a theoretical physicist won't be the one who puts man on neighbouring planets.

And it's too cold. way too cold. longing for a beachside beer in cuba.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

People sharing their anecdotal experiences, and acting like they're the same as science. n=1? Yeah that sounds reliable.

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

stay strong, brother! Remember that our entanglements with each other will come and go, but a good kitchen sink will last generations.

4 people like this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

good luck, tits. i know you can do it.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

We're having a NYE party at one of our friend's houses this year. All the wives/girlfriends are getting together to help plan things so the hosts have asked that we toss them some money to offset costs. All they are asking is $30 a head for all you can eat and drink, with the leftover cash going to decorations, entertainment, etc.

One of the dudes invited is legitimately pissed that he has to pay $60 for him and his girlfriend, saying that they are eating beforehand and bringing their own booze. This seriously pisses me off. Our friends are offering their home (which will be trashed) for a party of close to 80 people and asking for a small kick into the kitty. You can't even do dinner and a fucking movie for $60, never mind what NYE bar/club events cost. To make matters more frustrating, this same guy was bragging about how well he was doing last time we spoke. On the bright side I'll likely get loaded and call him out at some point. Maybe they should toss me some of the money for entertainment?

1 person likes this.
  9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Fuck the IRS.

Fuck!

1 person likes this.
  10. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

For one of the projects I am on, we have a daily morning update call. The thing is, the call is at 8:30, prior to the traditional 9am start of day. I have a bit of a gripe with that but can live with it, particularly when the project is reaching critical milestones; however, the call is every day, milestones or not. As a result, the call often isn't necessary. At 8:30 I'm in the car and much prefer to have a nice relaxing drive into the office. I also doubt that everyone's additional time is being charged back to the project and being captured in resource loading.

Now the part that really annoys me is this...if you're going to have the daily call...at 8:30...on people's personal time...the organizer should never, ever, ever be late at all. The organizer should be calling-in at 8:25. Nobody should ever have to wait. 3-4 minutes late and you've just wasted 20% of what is supposed to be the call time. The way our conference call system works, everyone will be on hold until the host calls in. If everyone calls in exactly on time and the host is late, I'm pretty fucking annoyed.

On top of that, there is always a good song on that I end up having to miss.

11. why

why Well-Known Member

Holding a party for friends and asking for cash at the door is stupid. It's pointless to compare it to other NYE events at actual businesses when the event isn't at a business.

Don't want to serve guests, don't have them.

2 people like this.
  12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

While I understand where you're coming from (and generally agree with the principle), the circumstances are what they are. I will say that the hosts are not at a point in their lives where they have the money to cover a party for 80. And while you are right that I shouldn't compare a house party to a for-profit event, those are my two options at this point, so I view them as equals; either way I'm gonna spend money to make NYE happen.

Regardless of the hosts' etiquette, my gripe is with the dude who wants to attend the party that everyone else is chipping in for but not pay his fair share. And on top of that, making an issue over what equates to tank of gas. If he doesn't want to pay he should just stay home...

13. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    Yeah, regardless of how the party is structured, the guy who is complaining because he can't be the one to whom the rules don't apply is sort of a penis.

2 people like this.
  14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I throw a party, I don't charge people or expect them to bring their own booze (and our parties have always been run this way, even in college).

But if you are going through a formal planning process, decorating, providing both dinner and drinks, and have decided that everyone needs to chip in for that to happen...that is fine. Totally fine to tell this guy to drink wang gravy over his bitching.

3 people like this.
  15. size 38R

??????????????

i like you but i am confused, was that a dig? lets play nice, this is the things that piss you off thread. complaints and advice. - no digs.

16. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

indeed. or rather, he seems to lack one.

---

bourbonbasted, please update us when you ream him at the party.

17. size 38R

18. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

This is at par with the Western mentality of "splitting" a check. :facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

My guess is that GF looked at his bonus check and got acquainted with the wonderful concept of marginal withholding tax

6 people like this.