1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

$44.76 for cleaning supplies. These chemicals better fucking work.

3. StephenHero

Floor or desk?

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

if its bathroom soap scum, then you spent too much.

blue dawn (the basic non concentrated kind) + vinegar (heated for 1.5min in the microwave) in a spray bottle and Mr. Clean magic erasers will clean pretty much anything in the bathroom (shower door/tub/toilet) ect. The problem is the vinegar smell, which takes a good airing out.

also Home Depot is your friend - they have industrial sizes of things for so cheap (Pledge wood floor cleaner/carpet cleaner/oxiclean powder) is all around 50% cheaper when you buy the big kind.

5. StephenHero

I got:

Swiffer Dry Wipe Refills
    Swiffer Wet Wipe Refill
    Woolite Laundry Detergent
    Windex
    Murphy's Oil Floor Squirt Stuff
    Chlorox Disinfecting Wipes

For soap scum I use an Ajax and Bleach Cleaner combo. Works well enough, although my new shower is all black stone and marble, so stone cleaner should suffice.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Wow, black stone and marble! Does that mean you won't piss in the shower anymore?

1 person likes this.
  7. StephenHero

Not necessarily.

1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I am seriously considering a cleaning lady. How much will it cost me for my shoebox 1 bedroom per month? :confused:

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Less than you think. The key is to give them a regular schedule/ a consistent revenue stream

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

My roommate and I have a cleaning lady come over once a month for $80. She cleans the kitchen, our bathrooms, washes our sheets and pillow covers, and vacuums the floors. It takes her roughly 2.5 - 3 hours for the job.

Our apt is 1,115 sq. ft. It's worth it.

11. patrickBOOTH

Having my girlfriend do it is costing me too much money. :confused:

12. patrickBOOTH

I'm sure when I tell you how much that will cost me in NYC you will have a coronary.

1 person likes this.
  13. patrickBOOTH

I'd me happy paying $80 per month for her just to do my bathroom and clean my hardwood floors monthly.

14. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I really need someone to wash the floors. I just cannot be bothered to do anything beyond sweeping and vacuuming.

I washed the bathroom floor recently and felt like some plebe from the 1890s.

15. GreenFrog

I do live in Texas, after all.

How much would the equivalent cost in NYC? $120?

16. StephenHero

Unless the maid comes really often (3x a week?) it seems like an awful idea because you'll just put off easy chores to feel like you're getting your money's worth. My old roommates basically stopped sweeping the kitchen floor in the week leading up to the maid's arrival for fear that she'd have nothing to do if they didn't let all those cilantro leaves just sit there and rot for a week. It was epic fail.

17. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Well, my wife's friend actually cleans up before the maid comes because she's embarrassed to show her a pigsty. It's hilarious

1 person likes this.
  18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Clamping desk lamp for my workbench.

PB, our cleaning ladies are $63/week. ...the extra $3 is the raise they got from last year.

19. GreenFrog

Fortunately for us, we're both somewhat neat freaks, especially when it comes to the common areas like the kitchen and living room. Pots and pans are immediately cleaned by hand with scrubbers after we've finished cooking and then eating food. Then, dishes and utensils are rinsed off and placed into our dish washer. We run the dish washer about 2X a week. Up to 3X if I haven't been traveling. Trash is taken out promptly.

Once in a while, I'll actually vacuum the carpets too if I'm working from home on a Friday and don't have a lot of work to do.

But there's nothing quite like having every single aspect of your apt clean all at once at the same time. That feeling only lasts for about a day or two tops, though, because quickly after, all the cleanliness loses its luster.

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

You sound like the kind of guys who would launder the sheets immediately if any kind of wet spot was detected after your sweet lovin