1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Its almost 11 and I am still in the office.

Why am I still in the office? Because of some stupid programming idiosyncrasy that I literally just solved.

You would think having solved it would be a good thing right? No. Because now that it actually works, this shit is going to take some time to run only after which I can do some rudimentary analysis on it. If I hadn't fixed it, I would probably have just called it a day after 15 more :embar:minutes.

At least I can make my way home while it is running and pick it back up from there.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

My students often write their exams with pencils. (Actually, they print their exams, as the youth of today do not know how to write in cursive. But that is a separate point of parentheses.) Even though they've done this for many years, I am still surprised when I see it. Because who the hell writes with pencils? (Also, it's hard on the eyes to read 70 exams written in pencil.)

3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

How acceptable are nested parenthesis (such as when you want to include some additional information (and maybe some tangential subtext) in your sentence) in the SF manual of style?

1 person likes this.
  4. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

If I was a professor I'd rather read 'printed' exams than terrible cursive. Though I'm not sure if you are referring to print writing or actual printing. Irregarless I would prefer print.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Betimes I use brackets to mark parenthetical remarks within parentheses. I do it when I post to the Styleforum website. I haven't heard anything from the "mods" about it.

Yes, I would rather see good printing than bad handwriting. But no matter which I see, I'd rather see it in pen (ink).

6. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Pencil haters should be strung up by their scrotums until they are 182.88 cm long.

7. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

stuck at work till past 7pm, and it rained so damn hard streets are flooded, and have a meeting to go to later in the evening. ugh.

1 person likes this.
  8. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

the metric system is the tool of the devil

my car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it

3 people like this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

grade schools. thats who. :fu:

10. JohnGalt

surely you pay the school enough that you can have some input into the sort of writing apparatus your children can use

11. gort

gort Well-Known Member

amazon is now collecting sales tax in my state. :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

12. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

lol not even close.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

My building has been having a lot of stolen packages lately. I am putting Amazon purchases on hiatus.

14. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

That is the worst. Hope you can have stuff delivered to work, not being able to get packages is just awful.

15. JohnGalt

we have 177 amazon orders ytd - i can't imagine not being able to receive packages :fu:

16. patrickBOOTH

Well, a neighbor a few floors up from me delivered a package to me she found in the stairwell ripped open. It seemed like somebody got into the building grabbed the package and ran into the stairwell to tear it open to see if there was anything good in it. Rather than bringing it back down they were so discouraged they just left it in the stairwell. I am surprised anybody found it as people on the fifth floor I wouldn't think use the stairs often.

17. aravenel

We signed up for Amazon Prime about six months ago, and let me tell you--that shit is brilliant. We spend scary amounts of money there now.

Out of TP? Screw walking across the street to buy more, I'm just having Amazon send me a 48 pack.

1 person likes this.
  18. aravenel

Was it your long lost umbrella?

19. patrickBOOTH

See, I always think, wow getting bulk paper towels and toilet paper is a great idea then I remember I have nowhere to store the stuff.

20. patrickBOOTH

No, that made it back to Germany. I just said fuck it, don't bother resending. Got the money back.

One thing I did learn from this is burglars don't like bulk Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Soap.