1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Not only does a comment like this not belong here, Finn is not in the US.

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

Damnit, I think I just said Hondar. I fear I've been in Boston too long.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I'm european we already have obamacare aka. public healthcare.

4. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

OBAMACARE IS NOT PUBLIC HEALTH CARE

1 person likes this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Pissing me off: politics in the Pissed Off thread.

Also pissing me off: people that pace school buses. Listen, dipshit, that bus is going to stop at the next line up of crumbsnatchers too. PASS THE FUCKING BUS OR WE ALL GET CAUGHT BEHIND IT AGAIN!

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

At first I thought this

was a response to this

rather than this

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I remember someone posting here before about being startled by weather warning buzz/warning/text from ATT on their phones... but last night I got the buzz on MY FUCKING CABLE TV...(I'm using ATT cable now) it was this loud assed blurring sound (like a sound blip) that scared the shit out of everyone in the house and had the dogs barking their asses off (even the neighbors dogs were barking). I'm happy about the bad weather warning, but the sound was so piercing/annoying.

8. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

They're doing it for Amber alerts now too. My entire floor got it on each of our cell phones within a 10-second timeframe yesterday. Scared the shit out of all of us - I thought the aliens were invading

9. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Is this an iphone thing or does it just not happen to me because I have custom firmware (without the AT&T crap) on my android phone?

I've seen my friends get these messages, but I have never gotten them myself. I think I am glad about that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

It came on 30+ phones here - ioS, android and blackberry. You can shut it off in your settings, though

11. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    The same thing happened to me months ago, but, instead of one alert, I got about a dozen duplicates peppered throughout an evening. I was at a party. It was aggravating, and it was worse because it was when they were first rolling it out on cell phones, so no one could understand why my phone was randomly going insane.

You can turn the alerts off, but I have yet to bring myself to do it. I feel weirdly guilty. Plus, they seemed to have improved the process (no duplicate alerts and no overriding vibrate mode with death alarms).

I noticed when I was tinkering with it that I have a bunch of different alert types that I can opt in/out of, but the one that can't be un-checked is "presidential alerts." That seems a little :uhoh: to me, but I guess I ought to be available if the president decides he needs to be in touch.

12. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

We get earthquake warnings, it is startling enough when it is just you, but if you are in a busy train station with hundreds of the things going off it is downright scary.

13. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Well I tell you what, anyone who was driving around in a 2013 gray Impala yesterday was getting some mighty uncomfortable looks all day

14. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

we had one in NYC a few weeks ago. At 4 AM.

15. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Earthquake warnings? Now, I'll admit that I've never been in a quake, but it seems to me that you would have figured out that the ground is shaking long before your phone went off.

16. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I think you get up to 30 seconds of warning

edit: might not sound a lot, but I suppose enough time for a train to come to a stop first before it start shacking

17. RockyTop

RockyTop Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that....hope it's better than what they're trying to shove down our throats.

1 person likes this.
  18. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks.

I guess any warning better than nothing!

Please don't start this here. There is a whole subforum on SF where you can argue about politics at length, and this isn't it.

1 person likes this.
  19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I remember it - was that the missing child alert? Wife and I were jumping around the bed trying to make that siren sound stop - we were scared shitless that some nuclear war had started.

I'm not quite sure what people are supposed to do with those alerts in the middle of the night when they're sleeping. Get up and go look for the missing child? :confused:

20. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

I don't know, as I don't care, as it doesn't effect me. :embar:

We pay 39-60% in income tax, which means that everything except dentists are free, even for foreign visitors, so if you get a heart attack etc. in Denmark, "I'm paying" not your insurance. Low income and people below 18 get free dental care.