1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

I feel your pain.... (it was my $700 repair a few weeks ago).

So I wake up and see a guy named Joe Morgan is following me on twitter. Not that Joe Morgan.

I had written a story that was pretty good yesterday, sent in a draft without comment from a few folks due to time difference, grabbing them today. Find out one of the orgs is releasing a statement on it later today which means my good little story is no longer an exclusive and most of my work will have to be scrapped.

2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

people who give their babies idiotic names.

what's with deliberately misspelling normal names to look cool? it's not.
    I have heard a few times "it's spelled uniquely on purpose. and no, it's not because my parents don't know how to spell." that may be, but they're still idiots.
    the poor apostrophe and the letter "y" must be so confused these days to be put in all these random places they're not used to
    I haven't been to elementary school in a long time, but it used to be that anyone with a stupid name would get their ass kicked. is there a bully who stands in front of the gate now, with kids queued up to get their ass kicked before they enter the school?

3. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Zavier is the last one..

Xavier ,Javier no Zavier...

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

There is a growing collection of data on the stupid name phenomenon. It makes for some interesting reading; especially the stuff written by the Freakonomics guys. It gets strange when you look at nominative determinism and how people's lives turn out when they have dumb names.

5. edinatlanta

If one more person tells me this song is "totally about you" or plays it as I walk into a room as if it were my theme song I will punch them in the throat.

1 person likes this.
  6. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

OK well how about this one

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  7. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

They should play this one.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i figured.
    -

aych-roy, y u mad tho?

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I am starting to get these kids in my classes. Of course I don't know how to pronounce their names just from reading the roster. Sometimes on the first day of class, they get pissy because I say their names wrong. When that happens, I say "Christ Almighty, how the fuck do you think I'm supposed to know how to say your goddamned name?" (No I don't.)

1 person likes this.
  10. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

It will be funny if you did point out every time at the parents lack of forward thinking and basic intelligence in that sad state of affairs.

1 person likes this.
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I had you down more for: this song.

12. edinatlanta

Two experiences that worked well...

When I lived in Australia, I went to a diverse school. Our year master gathered us together and was like "you know where you are in the alphabet with your names. If you see me struggle, please pronounce it for me."

At my largely-black HS in the US and in college, more than once teachers were like: look, if you have an odd name, just tell me how to say it."

13. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

This infuriates me, and it has gotten more aggravating since I had a child of my own. I feel genuinely sorry for the kids whose parents think this was a good idea, because they're going to spend the rest of their life having to spell out a name that should be simple. They basically get all of the hassle of a unique name without the (arguable) benefit of something cool. Also, I want to punch parents in the face when they pretend that making up new spellings for a name somehow makes their child's name cooler.

"Okay, you're name is David Smith. Just let me enter that into the computer to make your reservation. I have D-A-V-I-D..."
    "No, it's the alternate spelling of David, spelled H-I-P-P-O-P-O-7-T-A-M-U-S . The "7" is silent."

Prior to having kids, however, it was just an arm's-reach annoyance. Now it has trickled into impacting my life. My son has a relatively common name. It's no "Joe," but it's not weird (and it's the name of a historical figure and a few American cities). Being that we're not insufferable douches, we spell my son's name the way nature intended. I have, however, met people who, upon hearing my son's name, ask how we spell it. I never know how to respond, because, again, we spell it properly, but "the way it's supposed to be spelled" never seems like an appropriate answer given the question is almost always followed by, "oh, use the other spelling. We do it F-R-M-A-%-F-T-E-R."

No, you insufferable fuck, that's not the "other" spelling. That's one you made up despite the fact that his name has been around for centuries, and there's never been an alternate way to spell it. Now my kid, whose parents were smart enough to give him a normal, easy-to-spell name has to deal with people asking him for clarification because they once met someone who spells his otherwise-normal name "Frma&fter."

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    4 people like this.
  14. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

My parents were way ahead in the weirdly spelled first name biz.

15. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

It's to show that it is authentic. Like a poverty status symbol.

16. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

That right there is how you do a rant.

1 person likes this.
  17. edinatlanta

Tell me about it. What kind of name is "Edina"?

18. L'Incandescent

That's pretty much what I do. I say "I'm going to pronounce some of your names wrong. When I do that, just tell me how it should be pronounced and I will write it phonetically on my roster sheet." That does not prevent them from getting pissy. (In fairness, it's a small minority of students who get pissy.)

19. L'Incandescent

Also, my first name is spelled in a somewhat non-standard way, although it is by no means uncommon. My name is spelled like it is so as to make it resemble more closely the name of my twin brother. (When my mother gave birth, she literally did not know she was having twins. They had no name for me, so for a few days in the hospital, my bracelet said "[Last name] Twin #2.")

20. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Funny, I never considered yours weirdly spelled. I guess I just see it as a completely different name than the one to which it's similar.

:laugh:

Yeah, it's a big pet peeve of mine. In general, I'm extremely aggravated by anything that parents do that makes their child seem more like a toy than a human who will have to eventually have to be an adult, and the name thing qualifies. It might be cute when they're three to see the funny spelling on their cubby at daycare, but it's less so when they're 40 and have to have it on a business card.