1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

1) Flight back was absurd. There were two fucking babies/young kids that were so fucking loud, even the flight attendant looked shocked at their outbursts. At least four rows back, with noise cancelling headphones and music turned up, I could still hear the little shits. And at one point--the dad was encouraging the kids. I'm now at the point where I lump all parents together as irresponsible for merely having had kids.

At least I was behind first class and there was no hard divider so I had, essentially, as much space as first class does but in coach.

2) My girlfriend wants to spend more time with me. As in, basically every day (in fact I think every day.) This week is fine because its the Bar and I live much closer to the exam center than she does and its her birthday but it really fucking stresses me out to know I'm not going to be alone at all this week. I need several days of not dealing with people to be "normal" and I'm already agitated just thinking about it. It also shows she's much further along in the relationship than I am.

2. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  3. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A bit of anti-natalist, huh?

4. Biscotti

Biscotti Well-Known Member

Hit shin. Blood. Ugh.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Tragedy of the commons. Where I live dogs are not allowed on trails, period, for this reason.

1 person likes this.
  6. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

We had a similar experience last weekend. There's a really nice park/playground not too far from us. It's a really great area - the playgrounds are nice, there's tons of greenspace, places for cookouts/picnics, lake access for small boats, etc. The problem is that asshole pet owners feel no compunction about letting their dogs shit wherever they please and just leaving it there. Fortunately, they at least have the decency to keep it away from the playground area, but we tried to go for a walk near the water and spent the whole time stepping around piles exactly like you described. Even worse, they have these really nice porch-type swings that you can sit in and overlook the lake, but they're literally surrounded by feces.

Basically, the only parts of the park that aren't infested with crap are the playground, cookout areas, and part of the greenspace. If you want to enjoy any other part, including getting down to the water, you're just asking for nasty shoes if you venture off the sidewalks (and even those aren't completely dookie-free).

It's infuriating. To me, it's the pet-ownership equivalent of the type of parents Ed's talking about above.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The Kindle's handling of footnotes.

I have seriously loved my kindle 4, and preferred it to the touch models...up until now.

I'm reading a book that is heavily footnoted (as an important part of the narrative, not just references and citations), and its such a huge pain to move the cursor to the footnote, click on it, read the footnote, and then navigate to my previous page. This might be slightly better on a touch model since you could just tap on the number, but it would still suck.

The kindle really needs some option to display footnotes instead of endnotes, or at least have a quick way to get to the page's footnotes (since some footnotes could conceivably be longer than what fits on a kindle-page). It wasn't a big deal when I have read non-fiction works and wanted to look at the occasional detailed description or citation, but it really breaks the flow when you have to jump around in a novel.

I'm thinking of loading the book up on my phone so I can read the footnotes in one hand and the book in the other...but I will probably just buy the other two books from this trilogy in paperback.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Just keep a paper copy handy so you can read the footnotes there without losing your place in the Kindle version.

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Things with lots of footnotes, family trees, maps, appendices, etc--really anything that is not a straight-through read--are very poor reads on any electronic reader IMO.

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I was trotting up some uneven steps the other week and misstepped then hit my shin with all my body weight. its an exquisitely excruciating pain. i think the hard part of the shin shot is its like a gut punch/testicle shot where you cant really quickly walk off the pain smoothly. you have to sit and take it or else you look the fool trying to stagger off to quick.

11. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

i know people :rolleyes: at the theatrics of the modern footballer/soccer player (and some of the acting quite despicable), but often times it is the result of pain/sensation you describe

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

True but the vast, overwhelming majority of the time it is theatrics.

13. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Im listening to Miles Davis' "Round Midnight" on Youtube and on the side panel of videos is a video about George Bush and the New World Order. Every damn time I'm on Youtube I'l see a video about the Illuminatti or some other conspiracy theory video when I'm listening to music.

I don't watch them of course, but they're making me paranoid as hell. As well as frustrated with Youtube.

I know the USA is going down the shitter, but I don't to be reminded of it every damn time I go on the internet.

14. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

lol.... or you could just have the paper copy and dispense with the kindle all-together... The point of a kindle is that you don't have to carry around a bunch of books.

15. chinngiskhaan

HAHAHA. When I read your anecdote I could see myself there in your place, very good writing. It's ridiculous how inconsiderate people can be sometimes. My sister brings her dog over whenever she visits and the dog craps on my lawn... pees on the side of my furniture and she doesn't do anything about it... My couch now smells like dog urine permanently, and washing it only brings out the smell more.

16. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I know a lot of times people blame the dog for peeing on their couch, but really they peed on the couch themselves when they got drunk or overcome by the spirit of anti-materialism. They just don't want to admit it.

1 person likes this.
  17. BrooksLauren77

My dog in his last years kept crapping on our floor, you'd expect it to be pee because he was dying of kidney failure.

Guess his control over his bowels was going as well.

18. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Id punch the dog and then my sister if that happened to me. Pissing on any of my belongings that aren't currently on fire is just bad manners.

19. chinngiskhaan

yeah thats really lame... I hate those guys.

20. BrooksLauren77

That's why I hate cell phones.