1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

$700?

2. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

fawking plebs man, fawking plebs

3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Who is the pleb here?

The guy who is considering buying another car for the insurance discount
    or
    The guy who is complaining about the price of a car key?

4. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Who said I was buying a car for the insurance discount? Insurance...wtf is that...family comps that shit.

Sure, call me a pleb for not wanting to pay 400 USD for a key. Ill take that.

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I vote both.

1 person likes this.
  6. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I become violent towards anyone that says exspecially.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  7. riotior

riotior Well-Known Member

I got a B+. I ended up not emailing him, but now I want to even more. Like, "I don't know why you did it, but thanks for being a bro, bro." I didn't go to a single class a single time. My only interaction with the prof was to email him about office hours one day and then not show up.

8. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Why doesn't this surprise me?

I wonder how L'Inc would feel about it now.

1 person likes this.
  9. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

I was missing my keys for half of yesterday and was thinking I would have to shell out a shitload of money for a new car key. I ended up finding them in the fridge in a plastic bag of spinach :confused:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I'm expecting to have to shell some coin for my spare key. It doesn't work.

Hopefully it's just the battery that's dead.

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I don't know what the norms are in econ, but a student couldn't get a B+ in my courses without ever showing up. I'd just add that the strategy of doing the rock bottom minimum might sometimes yield okay results in university, but it is not well received at all in the world outside university. I think riotior will do very well to break that habit.

I had horrible attendance in one of my classes this year, probably because it started at 4:30. At any rate, I have a lot of students who are going to get Ds or Fs. Some of these students, who've missed a good half of the classes, are now e-mailing me to see if they can do some extra credit to get their grades up. It's hard to understand the mindset of people like that; clearly they want good grades, but why didn't that motivate them to come to class throughout the semester? It's like religious people who live shitty lives and then think they can make it all good with the Lord on their deathbeds.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Had one kid who routinely missed class, showed up late, didn't do the (graded) homework, etc. He got most of the way through the class and realized he was doing very poorly. Came to class 45 minutes late and immediately raised his hand to ask a question. He ended up openly asking me to raise his grade (in front of the whole class). His logic was that he "really didn't need this class and thought it was going to be an easy A", so I should apparently reward his sloth with an unearned grade. Flawless, really. I shot him down and he walked out.

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Jesus, is there anyone who could possibly have any worse luck relating to cars than GreenFrog? My failures in life combined over the years are nothing compared to his car-based bad luck.

Got a really good story, can't use it, now no one else is talking. At least one of my stories from Monday set the agenda for the past few days.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Aaaand the tax office won't title my car because the previous owner's lien release form isn't signed by a bank rep.

FUCK

And I just curbed a wheel omg

15. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

often its just because they are young and distracted and have misguided priorities, and do not realize the mistakes they are making.

i think the shitty religious people you refer to are of a different midset. similar idea, but not quite the same, imho.

16. A Canuker

A Canuker Well-Known Member

It's safe to believe that these same students, or parents of, are paying to miss the class? I don't want to laugh but these kids are not the kind of people I'd want to hire.

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

WHAT????!!!!!!

I admit that I have been out of circulation for several decades due to being married...but this statement, if actually true, shakes the very foundation of my existence.

18. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

I have never clicked on one but if I were selling online basic science classes I think the "Weird Trick to Slash Your Electricity Bill" ad would find my audience. Maybe not so much the ones who would buy the classes, but definitely the ones who need them.

19. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

Going from school where I had lessons 9-4 five days a week, homework every day, two or three essays to write a week, to university where I had 8 contact hours a week (less in second and third years), maybe two or three essays to write a term, made university seem a breeze. The idea of not turning up to those 8 hours (as many of my colleagues did) just seemed stupid to me - it's not like they were demanding much from us.

I did the rock bottom needed to achieve the best grade. This basically meant turning up each week having read and thought about the required reading, which took perhaps a day. Could not believe how many people couldn't be bothered to do that much.

20. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I hated school. I slept through all my classes. I estimate having attended >10% of my college classes. Most courses, including science and math courses, I would not do a single assignment, skip papers, and then have a frantic week before exams. The worst was multivariable calc, a class that met 3 times a week for 12 weeks, with a problem set due every week, a midterm, and a final. I skipped the midterm and never turned in a single problem set. I opened the book for the first time the night before the final. C-. I made it through 3 years of college this way, hating every minute, before finally flunking out.

By contrast, I love work. I have no problem working long hours and applying myself.

School is such a solitary, self-interested pursuit. Not that working doesn't have a lot of self-interest tied up in it, but I am far more energized and motivated by a social setting and responsibility to others. Working alone would drive me nuts.