1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

that makes sense, thats a pretty high prescription. to make them thin is expensive.

2. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

best of luck to your cousins, m. one of my closest friends have a kid with ds, and although it was very tough at the beginning and having to deal with the school, I've seen how their whole family have become tighter.

how bout getting your eyeballs laser zapped?

3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

You guys are all getting ripped off on your lenses like mad

they all buy the exact same blanks so the fancy place isn't any better than the normal place or the online places. Also, most places that take vision insurance are kind of a scam...the glasses end up costing [after insurance] almost exactly what they would at some online or other discounter. The big chains, frame manufacturers, AND vision insurers are all intertwined and owned by the same companies so they essentially give you insurance that doesn't save you any money on frames but makes you feel better about buying their expensive frames (and then catch the occasional sucker who pays full price).

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

Also, don't forget zennioptical. I have three pairs from them. One's a daily use. Then again, my eyesight is very low. -0.75. Still, my mother has progressives from them and they cost a fraction of what they normally cost.

You do have to know your pupil distance though. Most prescriptions don't list this and most offices don't give it out. I got mine after I bought 2 pairs from a store. A friend can conceivably measure it for you. Not that tough to do.

For the thinnest single vision high-index 1.74 lenses they cost 79 bucks. Some are free if your prescription is low.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is an opthamologist and he advises against it. It could be fucked up by a knock to the head according to him. And worse the Government has classified the process as 'cosmetic surgery' and you get no rebate from Medicare. Health fund would pay for hospital day stay but after having worn glasses for past 51 years my view is 'why bother?'

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

have friends in the practice so I wouldn't be worried, and several close friends and family members also had theirs zapped and they seem to be happy... I've worn glasses for more than 20 years, and probably bought close to 10 pairs of glasses... I'm happy with my present glasses (nackymade c/o armoury :slayer: ) and these will probably be my last pair... I'll do the procedure. and hope my head won't get knocked while having it done :)

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I have transitional lenses as well. I can't be bothered with switching sunglasses and such. It seems like most people hate transitionals, but I love them.

I had Moscots for a while. I bought into the hype and heritage, however they just don't fit me right, and I didn't like having the same glasses as every other stylish glasses dude. I hated it when somebody would go, "Moscots, right?" Plus, they accept like barely any insurance plans, expensive for regular exams compared to ther places and I frequently got attitude from one of the guys that worked at 14th street. I threw in the towel.

8. patrickBOOTH

I shave with a double edge safety razor and I buy these blades called "feather" blades from Japan that are really insanely sharp. Well, I buy a buttload of them and when I run low I never order more likean idiot. So, I have been shaving with the same now dull one for a week waiting for these fucking things to come from overseas. My face feels like roadrash in the meantime.

9. patrickBOOTH

The recent place that I got to knock $200 off of their price was also going to charge me an additional $35 because I had my original frames and didn't purchase new ones from them. Fucking assholes.

10. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

Left the sprinklers on overnight. Such a waste of water and now my backyard is a swamp.

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Nah, too nerve-wracking for me to consider, and the glasses make my nose look smaller.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

I should be at the beach with Jamie right now.

13. patrickBOOTH

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

None of your beeswax.

15. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

It's the nickname he has for his penis.

16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

The love of Neo's life

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  17. in stitches

thought about it, but i dont think i want to do that. not at this point anyways.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

The problem with transitionals is they are not polarized.

19. in stitches

interesting, i wasnt planning on getting them anyway. i think they are dumb.

20. patrickBOOTH

This is true.