1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thick dress socks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by agp, Mar 21, 2013.

1. agp

agp Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recommendations for thick dress socks?

2. f800gs

f800gs Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of smartwool dress and hiking socks.

3. alkydrinker

alkydrinker Active Member

I wear Goldtoe Uptown Crew socks. They're mostly cotton. I find the best deals on them at Kohls. Amazon has them for $17 for a 3-pack which is OK but not a great price.

A vast majority of shoes are only comfortable for me with a cushioned sock, which is unfortunate as most good looking socks are thin.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. agp

agp Well-Known Member

What are cushioned socks like? I'm asking for thick socks because my shoes are a little big on my feet, but the next size down are too tight... So I need some sort of extra padding to fill the extra room.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  5. Goodman

Goodman Well-Known Member

Why not use any run of the mill "sweat sock" and then pull a very thin dress sock over that.

6. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

viccel.us

Their Winter Weight socks Over The Calf are very nice indeed.

7. agp

agp Well-Known Member

Do you wear those in the summer? Are they super hot?

8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

I just visit Weinburg's Hosiery. Find a local place, and buy there on the cheap.

9. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

I actually have merino wool OTC sock for sale..........I have a 3-pack of Polo and I have a few argyle pairs of Venanzi. Both are heavier weight.

I will be listing in B&S soon but wanted to let you guys know here first.

10. alkydrinker

alkydrinker Active Member

When I described the Gold Toe Uptown Crew socks as "cushioned" I just mean they have the thickness in range of an athletic tube sock which cushions the foot. However, these Gold Toes have a smoother texture and look much more refined than an ugly athetic sock. They're still a good bit frumpier than the nice dress socks people tend to sport on this forum, but they're not awful. Sometimes I think they kinda fit into the trad aesthetic, which makes me feel better about them.

11. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Well-Known Member

Docker's "Sport Crew" Socks might fit the bill... I typically wear 'em with boots, but won't hesitate to wear them with shoes in colder weather. They're definitely thicker than dress socks, and the colors aren't too bad: I especially like the the "Dark Marled" mix-pack, the black is good too.

[​IMG]
    /mP

12. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Any recommendations?