1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. prozach1576

prozach1576 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a close-up picture of one of the sharkskin fabrics? Or the navy mohair? I want my next suit to be a navy work suit, but I'm not sure if I want sharkskin, mohair, or the lightweight flannel.

2. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

I have a sharksin that I can post soon. However did you check the fabrics he posted online on the TAT website? The quality is very good and almost identical to what they look like. I would just say that my sharkskin is slightly darker than what it was in the picture.

http://thickasthievesla.com/fabrics.html

I will say this that I was considering a lot of these fabrics as well and Jason explained it to me like this, "the sharkskin is a year round cloth, it isnt thick, about 10oz so is a year round weight. the sharkskin has more sheen to it than the mohair, but isnt shiny (reflective looking)"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. prozach1576

prozach1576 Well-Known Member

Yeah basically what I'm looking for is an idea of what that "sheen" looks like in daylight or something. I think navy sharkskin is probably what I want, just want to make sure.

4. dieselman89

mine is very subtle. the only way to see what it looks like would be to request the fabrics. i've heard from some users he will send them from time to time, i'm not sure if thats an option anymore.

5. Philip

Philip Well-Known Member

anyone here have photos of their suits in vbc127, petrol blue, or the mohair brown one?

6. racknac

racknac Well-Known Member

i have the petrol blue suit. Its awesome, but somewhat limited in its use for me... I only wear it to parties.

7. wisie

wisie Active Member

Looking forward to seeing more pictures especially on slimmer guys.

8. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Going to meet with Jason on Monday to put an order in on a navy suit and most likely burgundy trousers...can't wait. :)

9. vulcankat33

vulcankat33 Member

That black tone on tone looks great. I wonder if the fabric will ever be available again.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  10. vulcankat33

vulcankat33 Member

Thanks. It's the tone-on-tone black, which actually looks like a dark gray. House cut. My first effort at self-measure, which I continue to tweak.

[​IMG]

btw this is the fabric i was referring to

11. vulcankat33

vulcankat33 Member

looks really nice i think.

12. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Well-Known Member

Couldn't figure out how to delete. So I did this.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  13. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Well-Known Member

Ugh... early morning posting error. Please discard.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  14. PDinh

PDinh Well-Known Member

I'll be posting a photo soon, had my pants taken in a bit and gotta get the suit pressed afterwards. (I'm kinda slim, <36 chest, true 30 waist.)

15. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

The problems as I see them:
    1) Either the right side (your right, with the ticket pocket) is shorter than the left, or, as you say, the button was placed too low. You can see how the ticket flaps don't line up and the bottom edges aren't even. It could be caused by the button placement, but it may that your shoulders are of uneven heights, which is normal. Are the flaps, bottom edges, and buttons/holes level when the suit is on a hanger? If so, then it's your shoulders.
    2) The collar looks a little loose and low.
    3) The shoulders are lumpy. They should be smooth. If there is no shoulder padding, then the lumpiness is more acceptable. But it looks like lumpy padding, or wripples in the cloth, not lumpy shoulders. This can be fixed by an alterations tailor. But it might be expensive.
    4) The sleeves need to be rotated backwards to get rid of the diagonal ripples/twisting.
    5) The shoulders could be a little wider.

I do like the roundness and openness of the quarters.

Edit: forgot to mention 6) horizontal ripples in the upper back indicate that it could be a little too narrow there.

Of course all of these comments assume you're standing in your normal position. For example, if you were hunching forward or pulling your arms forward when the pic was taken, that could have caused the ripples.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  16. dieselman89

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate your comments. I'm in the process of having a tailor adjust a few issues with the suits. Do you think many of the ones you've addressed can be fixed by a tailor or is this an issue with the overall construction of the suit? Also, is this common with a MTM suit? The sleeves seem like they should be an easy fix by experienced tailor.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  17. dieselman89

is this going to be your second or third suit?

18. f-tard

f-tard Well-Known Member

I bought a wedding tux from Jason a few months ago. Not sure if I ever posted the results, but he did a pretty awesome job. Here’s the tux in traditional black tie.

[​IMG]
    I broke it out this past weekend for a wedding. The wedding I was attending wasn’t very formal, so I broke some rules and dressed it down with a knit tie and some brown wingtips. Thought it might help soften it a bit. Here’s the getup from last weekend.

[​IMG]
    The quality and fit are awesome for the price. Gotta save up some cash for another one, but can't wait till that day comes.

19. dieselman89

What fabric did you get?

20. f-tard

f-tard Well-Known Member

can't remember the swatch # and wool count, but it's a midnight blue.