1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. mystillwater

mystillwater Well-Known Member

i've seen alot of poorly dress candidates in my short interviewing career. i'd say if you are in a suit that fits and a neatly tied tie and shoes that's are from Sketchers, you're in the top 30%. Conservative choices will only help you beyond that.

2. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

Haha, that's always a positive sign. I'm not a business student, though I'm applying for jobs within that sector, and I've been shocked at what those with business degrees wear to interviews. I have always thought that business students would be better dressed then slovenly arts students...

3. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

I suppose should also add... What do people think of Charcoal Prince Of Wales as the fabric for my first decent suit? Is it suitable for interviews?

4. jo-fu

jo-fu Well-Known Member

I'll assume you mean "not" from sketchers?

I just got my conservative cut 2 button notch in charcoal from TaT and it looks so damn good I don't even care if I get the job any more, but I'd say its perfect for an interview and the party later too.

5. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Well-Known Member

Thick as Thieves makes all the people on their website look like adolescents. The suits are too small and seem to wrinkle. too small.

6. ekimneems

ekimneems Well-Known Member

Hello all! I'm new to SF, but I've been lurking for quite awhile (especially on this thread). I'm going to pull the trigger soon on my first TaT suit for my wedding.

Here's my concern, and I'm hoping some of you may have a similar problem and can help: I'm short (5'7"), 150lbs and I have a small gut (slightly above average sized belly) and I'm big in the seat/hips. Basically, anything "slim fit" OTR is tight at the seat/thighs and in the chest.

The whole point of me purchasing a TaT suit is that I want a slim/sleek fitting suit, 60s style, etc. But the recommendations I've received for my build are to go to the conservative cut. But it looks like 75%+ of the conservative cuts I've seen posted here don't have that truly slim fit, with the exception of a few.

Do I take the risk and go with the house cut assuming my measurements are spot on? Or are there customizations to the house cut I should make no matter what because of my situation? Meaning... definitely split the difference on the waist suppression and tapering of the legs, etc?

Thanks so much, this thread has been really helpful

7. jo-fu

jo-fu Well-Known Member

^
    email jason.

8. ekimneems

^
    email jason.

I've initiated the conversation with him, but I was hoping to get some feedback from some customers as well... especially any that have a slightly shorter/stockier build.

9. office drone

office drone Well-Known Member

Here's my concern, and I'm hoping some of you may have a similar problem and can help: I'm short (5'7"), 150lbs and I have a small gut (slightly above average sized belly) and I'm big in the seat/hips. Basically, anything "slim fit" OTR is tight at the seat/thighs and in the chest.

What are your measurements for your chest and waist? When you try on the slim fit OTR stuff, how does it look? Does it look like odd, or is it just a matter it feeling a little snug in the chest and bottom, but it looks decent? If it's the former, probably better to go with a more traditional cut...there are some pics in this thread of stocky fellas with TaT suits, and it just doesn't look right. If it's the latter, maybe Jason can accomodate and adjust his pattern.

10. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

Hello all! I'm new to SF, but I've been lurking for quite awhile (especially on this thread). I'm going to pull the trigger soon on my first TaT suit for my wedding.

The whole point of me purchasing a TaT suit is that I want a slim/sleek fitting suit, 60s style, etc. But the recommendations I've received for my build are to go to the conservative cut. But it looks like 75%+ of the conservative cuts I've seen posted here don't have that truly slim fit, with the exception of a few.

Do I take the risk and go with the house cut assuming my measurements are spot on? Or are there customizations to the house cut I should make no matter what because of my situation? Meaning... definitely split the difference on the waist suppression and tapering of the legs, etc?

What is your chest measurement and your waist measurement (around the belly button)? Personally I don't think a slim cut works so well on people who aren't slim or skinny. And if you have a small gut like you say, it will be noticable in a slim suit.

11. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

What is your chest measurement and your waist measurement (around the belly button)? Personally I don't think a slim cut works so well on people who aren't slim or skinny. And if you have a small gut like you say, it will be noticable in a slim suit.

What about those with a large drop? I can never find anything to accommodate my 42ish chest, 33 natural waist and large thighs. That;s why I'm going for MTM. Or is this suit style bad for the moderatly muscled? (5 11, 194lbs, 14% bf)

12. ekimneems

What are your measurements for your chest and waist? When you try on the slim fit OTR stuff, how does it look? Does it look like odd, or is it just a matter it feeling a little snug in the chest and bottom, but it looks decent? If it's the former, probably better to go with a more traditional cut...there are some pics in this thread of stocky fellas with TaT suits, and it just doesn't look right. If it's the latter, maybe Jason can accomodate and adjust his pattern.

OTR stuff is very hit-or-miss. I can pull off some "slim" jeans (certainly not skinny) after they're broken in. Others, not so much.

I'm just noticing a pattern that the conservative cut is looking a lot more "baggy" in a lot of these examples, and if that's the way it just is, it's no different than getting an OTR. But maybe it's because in general, the guys who want conservative are going to be more conservative in their measurements (giving themselves more room)?

There are a few examples of the conservative cut there are spot on here, but it's only those few. I think I'll finally go and take all my full measurements for real, as well as going to my tailor just to get a second opinion, and post them here and send them to Jason to see what everyone thinks.

13. RawrImABear

RawrImABear Member

well you see...the whole idea of slim fit stuff is that they're made for slim people...average or above average people wear average stuff

Bigger people shouldn't wear skinny jeans. Skinny people shouldn't wear baggy jeans.

14. ekimneems

well you see...the whole idea of slim fit stuff is that they're made for slim people...average or above average people wear average stuff

Bigger people shouldn't wear skinny jeans. Skinny people shouldn't wear baggy jeans.

I understand that. I would never wear skinny jeans with my build. But with my build, OTR suits even tailored just look... too big, baggy, and boring. I'm just trying to figure out how much of the fit is in the measurements and how much is in the cut to see if I *have* to go conservative cut because of my build, or if I can make house cut work with the right measurements.

15. Timbaland

What about those with a large drop? I can never find anything to accommodate my 42ish chest, 33 natural waist and large thighs. That;s why I'm going for MTM. Or is this suit style bad for the moderatly muscled? (5 11, 194lbs, 14% bf)

I think it's all subjective to the type of fit you are looking for. I read through most of the thread and looked at the profiles of the people who I felt had great fitting suits and all of them wore jacket sizes of 38 and under. My idea of a great fit could be different from what yours is.

There are people on the thread who are around your size but the look they went for was more fitted than slim. Can't remember if they went for conservative cut instead of house cut though. So I think it can work. One of the dudes usernames was paulio I believe. Try to find his suit. I would talk to GetSmart about fitment and look through some of the pictures for the bigger guys.

16. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

There are people on the thread who are around your size but the look they went for was more fitted than slim.

Would you agree that the conservative cut is more on the fitted side, and the house cut is more slim?

17. Timbaland

Would you agree that the conservative cut is more on the fitted side, and the house cut is more slim?

I believe so. From the FAQ it says:

What is the "conservative" cut?

* Lapels widened to 2.5 - 2.75"
    * Jacket length 1-1.5" longer than house cut
    * Trousers less tapered thru leg, resulting in more relaxed fit
    * Ticket pocket made traditional (no overlap)
    * Trouser pockets side-slant (no frogmouth)

Message GetSmart though and he can give you a definitive answer. Maybe the jacket has a little less waist suppression too?

18. Smahatma

Smahatma Well-Known Member

look through some of the pictures for the bigger guys.
    That's pretty homo, bro.

One of the dudes usernames was paulio I believe. Try to find his suit.
    little updated of my suit and fit, still need to take the sleeves in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You could have just quoted it yourself and saved him the ghey.

19. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

A little less trim than I had hoped.

20. Smahatma

Smahatma Well-Known Member

A little less trim than I had hoped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]