1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The White Shirt Poll

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kaxixi, Apr 14, 2009.

1. kaxixi

kaxixi Well-Known Member

The topic of white shirts comes up now and again, including recently on WAYWN. I would like to know how often members wear a white shirt when you wear a suit and tie. If you seldom wear one, but tend do so more frequently in a specific setting (e.g., at night), then feel free to elaborate, and if you have a favorite fabric (e.g., cotton-linen blend), please share.

2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

I wear a suit every day to work, and I wear a solid white shirt maybe once a week. I just feel with all the great colors and patterns available, I always find myself reaching for a shirt with color. I will sport a white shirt when I feel the need to wear something on the conservative side. Since I cant stand to wear a T-shirt under my dress shirts, I only wear solid white shirts that have a small % of stretch blended into the fabric. I have found that you cant see your skin through these shirts like most white dress shirts.

3. Blackl3232

Blackl3232 Well-Known Member

I wear white shirts probably 80 or 90% of the time. I mainly wear other colors with certain colors of suits that I don't like white with...brown, tan, etc.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

i started wearing them recently and actually like the fact that they're a blank canvas quite a bit, make some complex getups alot easier.

5. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

I wear them atleast twice a week to work. A white OCBD is my 2nd favourite shirt to wear [​IMG]

6. ykurtz

ykurtz Well-Known Member

I have black hair, and fair skin. With a dark navy or grey suit, the white works very well with me. White and pale blue are the two dress shirt colors I wear the most. The white doesn't suck the color out of my features in the Spring, Summer or Fall. I tend to avoid white shirts in the winter, as living in Chicago in the winter tends to pale the skin. I'll wear a lot more blues then. But after 2 days in the sun, I'm back ready to wear the white.

7. mmhollis

mmhollis Well-Known Member

I responded frequently, but I'd probably wear one more if it wasn't such a struggle to find a regular white shirt with a spread collar that has slim fit. It really shouldn't be this hard!

8. minnesotamoon

minnesotamoon Well-Known Member

Is there a brand or type of cotton that will show less shirt when wearing white? That is my big hesitation on wearing white more often. I don't like having my shirt show through, especially if I were to lose the tie after hours and have my v-neck showing through the front.

9. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Let me answer this way. I've got about 25 dress shirts. I'm guessing almost 20 are white.

10. Irv

Irv Well-Known Member

I would wear a white based shirt about 90% of the time but many of my white shirts will have a self stripe or fine pin stripe, etc through them.

I simply find that they will go with just about any suit/tie combination so it makes sense to have more of them.

11. Nexus6

Nexus6 Well-Known Member

I wear slightly off-white shirt once per week (Usually a 'monday' shirt).

Blinding white, or 'dead white', never.
    Dead White makes people look 'coffin-ready'.

On the other hand,
    a nice dead-white shirt can come in handy if you intend on taking the afternoon off work.
    It gives a nice 'not feeling well' palor to the face.

12. Philip1978

Philip1978 Well-Known Member

On the other hand,
    a nice dead-white shirt can come in handy if you intend on taking the afternoon off work.

[​IMG]

13. lermontov

lermontov Well-Known Member

Once or twice a week, every week.

14. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

I wear slightly off-white shirt once per week (Usually a 'monday' shirt).

On the other hand,

I always get the feeling that "off-white," "ivory," or "cream," just looks dirty to the glancing eye.

But that's just me.

15. ysc

ysc Well-Known Member

On one of the (currently infrequent) occasions I wear a suit or clothes of a similar smartness I wear a plain white shirt fairly often. I know they sometimes get bad press compared to a pale blue shirt say, but I think with a Navy suit/jacket they look terrific.
    Probably have 3 or 4 of them out of a total of maybe 12ish French cuffed shirts (didn't bring most of them to uni, so I am not sure of the total number of the top of my head).

16. Philosoph

Philosoph Well-Known Member

You can never go wrong with a white shirt.

17. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I voted "very frequently." If I'm wearing a sportcoat and tie ---> blue or patterned shirt. If I need to wear a suit and a tie, it's invariably for a reason, i.e. not office dress code, so I often wear white.

18. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

I have very dark hair with white skin (high contrast as they call) and it is a great background for my clothes..tHE SAME WAY, I do find white shirt interesting because they do provide the same effect with darker suits..
    With a bit of sunshine and the darker we're getting ,the better the white shirt will be looking on you...They go with everything from semi-casual to formal...
    White shirts can be ghastly if you're extremely pale and you do associate them with cream colours and that is a current mistake..

19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Wearing them more and more.. Used to wear maybe 2 or 3 days a month.. Now probably 4 to 5 days a month..

20. cwh812

cwh812 Well-Known Member

I voted "very frequently." If I'm wearing a sportcoat and tie ---> blue or patterned shirt. If I need to wear a suit and a tie, it's invariably for a reason, i.e. not office dress code, so I often wear white.

Out of my 30 dress shirts only 4 are white. I work in a business casual environment and very rarely wear ties. I only wear the white shirts when I do wear ties. I'd say that I only wear a suit once every other month. The white shirts usually come out on suit day, but I also like to wear the white shirts when I throw on a tie and sportcoat. I've noticed some people say they like blues or patterns with sportcoats...is white wrong with the sportcoat/tie arrangement?