1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, no. It's LA so some assholes think it's a license to wear flip flops. (not really but close)

2. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

So interesting that you assume I'm talking about American business.

Again, just because someone's made a personal choice about something doesn't make it acceptable to make a judgement on their abilities that are completely unrelated.

The point is not that it's discriminatory, the point is that it's stupid.

3. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

If you have tats on your hands, face or neck there are a lot of industries you might as well not apply to. Is there anyone with face or hand tattoos who wants to go into those industries though? Tattoos shouldn't be an issue as long as you're not retarded and cover them up. No ones gonna see your sleeve as long as you never roll up your sleeves. I interviewed at google and apple, I can't remember what the roles were I think it was strategy or something so not as techy, but it seemed just as rigid as banking.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

Even if we were talking about Australian business or wherever it is your from it's not like Macquarie has a bunch of MDs with prison tats.

5. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

It's actually not interesting at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    23 people like this.
  7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

You might not be able to make a judgment about their ability, but you can make a judgment about their judgment.

7 people like this.
  8. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

This, especially in job roles where there is not a demonstrable single skill that determines ability and it is more to do with determination and work ethic like say IB or consultancy how much can a candidate actually want the job if they either did not conceal the tattoo or got one in a stupid place to begin with.

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Well-Known Member

So good ivwri. I will join that gang one day :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  10. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

Decisions you make when you are 16

HAUNT YOU FOR LIFE

2 people like this.
  11. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Judgement in what regard? Judgement to have a different view than you? Deal with it. I'm sure they're over your holier than thou attitude.

1 person likes this.
  12. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Not everyone works for a small start up / creative agency / whatever. C'mon already. Then again, you defended Hirsch so I don't even know if you're trolling or not at this point.

If you want to pursue lots of lucrative careers, having a visible tattoo shows bad judgement. If having a visible tattoo is that important to you, adjust your career goals.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Sorry dude. That's the reality of what things are currently like even though they're changing.

If you're interested in an industry where you're meeting face to face with clients, it's probably a smart idea to get tattoo's you can cover up. Even if your employers don't care, their clients might and that hurts the employers bottom line and therefore you.

I have one already and would love to get more in time, but I'd never get anything that I couldn't cover up with a half sleeve shirt (i.e. scrubs). It's like wearing shorts to a formal interview. It's just not right in the setting.

Anyway, this is all getting old. I don't even care anymore. I obviously don't care what other people do, but I have to think about this in terms of industry.

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

This ain't the 1960s.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

On my right arm is a tattoo of a restaurant receipt with a 25% tip

29 people like this.
  17. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

You're right. It's 2014 and a lot of people in management still associate tattoos with bikers, skinheads, and prison. Deal with it.

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Judgement that you may feel the need to express yourself in a way that that person may feel inappropriate. Listen, if you don't like it, strike it out on your own, or be in fashion, whatever. You can make choices, but you can't force people to be okay with them.

1 person likes this.
  19. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I just call them as I see them. I see a bunch of people here pre-judging people based on their appearance. You can hide behind 'That's just the way it is.', but that's just wrong. Racists and bigots use the same argument tactic. I would argue that people who would be put off by tats or piercings aren't worth having as clients or business associates. The world still has a lot of growing up to do, and by perpetuating the myth that personal appearance matters to anyone but the individual, you're only hindering progress.

1 person likes this.
  20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Like I said before, it's not right. Feel free to hold whatever shallow belief you want, but don't pretend that your view is anything short of asshattery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.