1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i dig. great t-shirt. your buddy in the foreground on the left with the cool green jacket, do you know the deets on that?

2. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

Thanks, ya'll!!! My next one will be better. Edited the post since I got a few PMs

It's a Junya Watanabe reversible hunting jacket. The other side is a plain khaki blazer thing. Really cool piece.

[​IMG]

from third looks

2 people like this.
  3. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Well-Known Member

Niceness all over that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. stiker71

stiker71 Member

5. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

Pusser's has got to be the grossest name for a restaurant ever

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I'd eat there every day.

11 people like this.
  7. insomniac341

insomniac341 Well-Known Member

8. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

I knew it would be hell to get the eggplant-on-black chevrons of the jacket to come through, so I used a whole battery of lighting on this photo.

[​IMG]

J. Lindeberg
    Pierre Balmain
    Nudie
    R.M. Williams

2 people like this.
  9. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I think a pair of white sneakers instead and if you maybe tied your hair up

Also take pictures in the sunlight

10. Iyoume

Iyoume Well-Known Member

It's too late for this advice.

2 people like this.
  11. indesertum

Seriously tho. Tie your hair up

12. tagutcow

Well, I have a pair of white canvas SCs, but this isn't the season for them. Not exactly being the most popular WAYWTer around here (It's true! It's true!) I realize I'm opening myself up to a world of ridicule even by saying this, but the much-needed leg-lengthening provided by the chelsea boots, combined with the bomber jacket, creates a confluence of proportions that goes BAM!— or at least as much as confluences of proportion ever seem to go BAM! on me. The photo is fish-eyeing my mid-section a little, but I think, for my stocky, awkward body-type, the look works.

As far as my hair goes, I'm long overdue for my tri-annual haircut, and I'm in a little bit of a quandary. It seems the salon I usually go for my Defcon-Level-1 chemical hair straightening has stopped doing the procedure when they discovered the formaldehyde fumes are slowly killing them, and now I'm going to have to find somewhere else that does it cheaply. Maybe I'll just get a hair cut without the straightening, who knows. When you only get your hair cut three times a year, you can afford to mull over your options.

Sunlight? What's that? Heh.

Actually, the best WAYWT photos I've ever taken were in a dumpster enclosure in my old condo complex:

[​IMG]

Now I'm living in an apartment complex with very few decent locations for outdoor photos within walking distance. I'm going to have to do some location scouting— I know my fans in WAYWT demand nothing less!

1 person likes this.
  13. tagutcow

1 person likes this.
  14. indesertum

this is better especially with the sunlight. get a pair of white leather sneakers. like svenssons or something

how tall are you?

you also need to hem your pants. the stacks make your legs look short and stubby.

i think you would look better if you kept your hair long and tied it in a topknot

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  15. tagutcow

5'8.5"

I understand the principle of visual breaks (which is why I never cuff my jeans when I can help it,) but lengthening stubby legs isn't the only thing to consider. There's also the danger of tweedle-dum / aether-ization, particularly when you're 5'8.5" and 182 lbs. A person could very well counter that stacks balance out my top end.

Plus, I just think stacks look cool, and in matters of style, I-think-it-looks-cool has a way of overriding every other consideration.

For what it's worth, my katana skillz are disgrace.

16. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Well-Known Member

@g-trans: I lurk mostly, but really had to say that this is one of my fav fits ever from this thread.. great stuff!

17. indesertum

another thing

if your jacket hung straight down instead of pinched in at the waist it would give your silhouette less of an feminine hourglass shape and more of a masculine straight shape. you could accomplish the latter by either losing weight or finding a jacket that doesnt cinch at the hem

i have large legs kind of like you and i do my best to hide them. i found wider longer tops and tapered pants (like moo) works the best. it might work for you too. the stacks make the bottom part of the legs flare out. if you're unwilling to try hemming them, i think tapering them would work pretty well. tapers really do work wonders.

if you don't want to top knot (imo the thick hair on the sides creates an unseemly and slobby head silhouette) i'd suggest pushing your hair behind your ears like that summer photo or just chopping the whole thing off and going with a buzzed on the side kind of long at the top look

also stacks look cool if you're long and thin. not so much if you're shorter and have thicker legs

18. tagutcow

Er… you lost me here. It's a blouson jacket, it's gonna fit the same on most everybody.

I've already lost weight— I've lost 15 pound over the last few months, there's not a whole lot more fat to lose, at least none that's going to make an appreciable difference to how I look wearing clothes. Honestly, I didn't look drastically different 15 pounds heavier.

Honestly, I think people go overboard with this whole clothing-as-optical-illusion business. My rationale for preferring shorter tops has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread, but the fact remains that I just plain like the neo-'50s-greaser-pissant vibe that cropped jackets impart— a vibe that also happens to be remarkably congruent with my station in life.

19. indesertum

[​IMG]

the jacket cinches in at the hem. if there was no ribbing or the ribbing was looser it would hang straight down.

i dont really believe in the clothing as optical illusion (like horizontal lines vs vertical lines) or in the color wheel theory of matching colors or the idea that certain colors go better with certain skin tones (like who makes up these, it seems rather arbitrary to me), but based on what now 6 years on this forum experience tells me that some silhouettes are more flattering

you insist on stacks and shorter tops, but it seems to me (and pretty much everybody who responds to your fits) that something is not working. maybe try changing a little and see what happens?

you dont have to get rid of the greaser look. but you can pull it off better or you can keep doing the same thing and hope people stop ragging on you

20. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

what waitaminute... how did I get dragged into this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.