1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Some suggestions
    5. I can't tell from the photo, but is that sweater heathered grey in merino wool or cotton? Try lambswool. It'll have a more interesting texture and depth to the color.
    6. Get better jeans. Try 3sixteen SL100s for starters. As it stands, your jeans are too baggy, esp in the back. You may also be suffering from mangina on the front, but it's hard to see since your shirt is covering things up.
    7. Given how ordinary your look is, I'd like to see a further away shot, so we can see your shoes. If you have incredibly nice shoes, you might be able to get away with what you're wearing. Otherwise, it's pretty boring.
    9. The armholes on that sweater look huge. Hard to tell unless you lift up your arms, however.

I'm just going to point out when your advice is wrong until you crawl back into what I can only assume is the pond of pure undiluted ignorance from whence you must have emerged. Even really safe, cliche advice like this, you screw up. Poor noob should not be misled.

5. The notion that lambswool is somehow universally superior to certain other materials is utterly ludicrous. Even if you were to narrow that by "with the look you're going for", how can you even tell what he's going for if anything. A cropped, slightly relaxed knit over an untucked shirt sounds like something out of an Ervell SS lookbook and no, it does not involve lambswool. Which brings into play one of your other comments to the effect of size down on the sweater but leaving that aside...

6. This is the worst one. Have you measured this guy? You have to be fucking kidding me, you tell him to buy a specific brand and model of jean and judge that from a picture where you can't even see below his thighs? Somehow you're sure these will fit him, in whatever size he happens to choose, despite the fact that the guy clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

7. A universally badly executed look from the ankles up can't somehow be saved by awesome shoes. This is a ridiculous statement. To hell with the Peal boots, I don't care if he has Moo's plum antiqued Sutor chukkas on under there, it'll still look terrible. Possibly more so in juxtaposition to awesome shoes.

Please return to aforementioned pond.

2. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

your joking right?

that style really isnt my thing but i have seen that thing pulled off much better. no hate ... just a comment.

Who? Always looking for new ideas/inspiration.

Uncontrol's advice is informed by his tastes which imo suck

Not necessarily so, Uncontrol gives bad advice as often as good in the should I / shouldn't I context and posts a lot of very questionable stuff in leather jackets, RFT's are hit and miss... same goes for many.

Well, it's informed by my own tastes plus all the reading I do here and elsewhere. I know a lot about things that might surprise you, haha. Anyway, I'm happy to hear I ever give advice as good, hopefully I can help someone :3

3. chasingred

chasingred Well-Known Member

I'm just going to point out when your advice is wrong until you crawl back into what I can only assume is the pond of pure undiluted ignorance from whence you must have emerged. Even really safe, cliche advice like this, you screw up. Poor noob should not be misled. 5. The notion that lambswool is somehow universally superior to certain other materials is utterly ludicrous. Even if you were to narrow that by "with the look you're going for", how can you even tell what he's going for if anything. A cropped, slightly relaxed knit over an untucked shirt sounds like something out of an Ervell SS lookbook and no, it does not involve lambswool. Which brings into play one of your other comments to the effect of size down on the sweater but leaving that aside... 6. This is the worst one. Have you measured this guy? You have to be fucking kidding me, you tell him to buy a specific brand and model of jean and judge that from a picture where you can't even see below his thighs? Somehow you're sure these will fit him, in whatever size he happens to choose, despite the fact that the guy clearly doesn't know what he's doing. 7. A universally badly executed look from the ankles up can't somehow be saved by awesome shoes. This is a ridiculous statement. To hell with the Peal boots, I don't care if he has Moo's plum antiqued Sutor chukkas on under there, it'll still look terrible. Possibly more so in juxtaposition to awesome shoes. Please return to aforementioned pond.
    I don't really understand what you're writing here except for "I disagree." Which is fine, but it just seems like a long way of stating here. I'll respond, and then go back to work. Number system preserved for sake of conversation 5. You seem to be conflating material and cut in your statement, and then adding some brand name to support your argument. You can get a lambswool sweater that drapes more; that's just an issue of cut. As far as how it's cropped, that's again an issue of cut. As far as materials go, however, and how colors are absorbed by that material, merino tends to be more "flat" looking than lambswool, unless they heather it. Lambswool will have a richer texture and look because the material tends to be a bit thicker with some "airy" pockets in between each fiber. It will pill more, however, than merino, and some people will find the material to be itchier (though I've never found that to be true for myself). Still, as far as richness of color and material, I think lambswool is better. 6. I was only making a suggestion. 3Sixteen SL100s tend to be not as skinny as other nice denims, and it seems from the guy's current selection that he doesn't really wear skinny jeans. Obviously he can wear whatever denims he wants. I was only suggesting something he can look towards. In any case, I think he would look better in slightly slimmer jeans, just less baggy around the seat at least. Perhaps also something in a darker raw denim. I suggested 3Sixteen SL100s as a starting point for him to turn to. The point really was about the cut, which I think could be a bit slimmer at least (whether he wants to go slim or skinny is up to him). 7. I disagree. I think an ordinary look can look really good if you have nice shoes on. Sometimes you have to look ordinary - maybe you have to go to work, or see your girlfriends' parents. In those cases, if you have a very ordinary look, it can look nice once you throw on some nice shoes. Personally, I think the poster didn't even execute an ordinary look well. I definitely wasn't suggesting that what he was wearing now would be fine if he just wore some cordovan Peal boots (sorry if the original post was worded poorly). I was suggesting that once he nails it down better, he can make it look nice with some quality shoes. Nothing wrong with jeans, button up shirt, and a vneck -- just make sure you're not wearing some crappy shoes. I don't see why you have to be vituperative on this thread, but that's your prerogative. The poster can decide for himself, of course, what suggestions he'd like to take to heart.

4. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Some suggestions

1. Take photos in a natural light. Or get GE Reveal lightbulbs. Right now there's a yellow cast on everything, which will affect the kind of responses you'll get
    2. Size down one on the sweater. Try to have the seams sit on your actual shoulder line.
    3. Get v-neck undershirts. Right now your underwear is showing. It'll also give you a cleaner look.
    4. Tuck in your shirt.
    5. I can't tell from the photo, but is that sweater heathered grey in merino wool or cotton? Try lambswool. It'll have a more interesting texture and depth to the color. You also won't get such a lifeless drape around your midsection, if you get the right lambswool sweater (or take a decent one to a knit tailor).
    6. Get better jeans. Try 3sixteen SL100s for starters. As it stands, your jeans are too baggy, esp in the back. You may also be suffering from mangina on the front, but it's hard to see since your shirt is covering things up.
    7. Given how ordinary your look is, I'd like to see a further away shot, so we can see your shoes. If you have incredibly nice shoes, you might be able to get away with what you're wearing. Otherwise, it's pretty boring.
    8. I personally like vnecks with a slightly smaller opening, but that's your call.
    9. The armholes on that sweater look huge. Hard to tell unless you lift up your arms, however.

I'm just going to point out when your advice is wrong until you crawl back into what I can only assume is the pond of pure undiluted ignorance from whence you must have emerged. Even really safe, cliche advice like this, you screw up. Poor noob should not be misled.

5. The notion that lambswool is somehow universally superior to certain other materials is utterly ludicrous. Even if you were to narrow that by "with the look you're going for", how can you even tell what he's going for if anything. A cropped, slightly relaxed knit over an untucked shirt sounds like something out of an Ervell SS lookbook and no, it does not involve lambswool. Which brings into play one of your other comments to the effect of size down on the sweater but leaving that aside...

6. This is the worst one. Have you measured this guy? You have to be fucking kidding me, you tell him to buy a specific brand and model of jean and judge that from a picture where you can't even see below his thighs? Somehow you're sure these will fit him, in whatever size he happens to choose, despite the fact that the guy clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

7. A universally badly executed look from the ankles up can't somehow be saved by awesome shoes. This is a ridiculous statement. To hell with the Peal boots, I don't care if he has Moo's plum antiqued Sutor chukkas on under there, it'll still look terrible. Possibly more so in juxtaposition to awesome shoes.

Please return to aforementioned pond.

To be fair, 1 - 4 are all accurate, 5 probably holds for whatever you'd buy at BR, and as far as 6 is concerned, yeah, he's being totally presumptuous, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that 3Sixteen SL-100s would look a metric tonne of whatzit better than the baggy, pre-faded numbers he's got going on there.

I hesitate to defend chasingred, particularly since he's repeatedly gone full-on troll-leotard as of late, but he's still dispensed - and continues to dispense - some reasonable advice for the clueless.

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

hey guys!!! an awesome quality picture for ya'll. [​IMG] coal oliver peoples gitman vintage real vintage tanner j crew (j crew jeanS!!!!!1!!) ll bean

6. chasingred

I hesitate to defend chasingred, particularly since he's repeatedly gone full-on troll-leotard as of late, but he's still dispensed - and continues to dispense - some reasonable advice for the clueless.
    I'm actually done with launching personal attacks. I think Snow looks silly in what he buys and I think some newbies could use some basic advice, but I'm not going to launch personal attacks on people like Ar-Six, who seems to get really personally bothered for whatever reason. People can take my comments as they wish, or use the ignore feature on the forum. As for the merino wool vs. lambswool debate, yes this is more about the type of vnecks I assume the poster is going to buy (everything ranging from BR to BB). I just bought an Inis Meain in merino and it's great. I assume the poster isn't going to buy really high end merino sweaters, however. I should have been more specific about what the comment was directed towards.

7. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Fucking Jesus this thread, this forum, you people.

8. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

also i give really good advice but im really mean and dismissive.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

generic
    LEVIS/blizzard proof
    cxr
    houseshoes (its friggin -9 with snow on the ground, no point in effing around outside for a fitpic)

10. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

whats up with your crotch v and hip flare

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

whats up with your crotch v and hip flare

the rise/anti-fit seat isn't conducive with wearing them as low on my hips as I am IMO. I am gonna get some suspenders/ or one of zissou's belts at some point which should help out with this some. But the v is the angle/lighting, its far less dramatic IRL.

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

you should really ditch the chinstrap

13. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

your facial hair. its not flattering.

15. Ben85

Ben85 Well-Known Member

Some suggestions

1. Take photos in a natural light. Or get GE Reveal lightbulbs. Right now there's a yellow cast on everything, which will affect the kind of responses you'll get
    2. Size down one on the sweater. Try to have the seams sit on your actual shoulder line.
    3. Get v-neck undershirts. Right now your underwear is showing. It'll also give you a cleaner look.
    4. Tuck in your shirt.
    5. I can't tell from the photo, but is that sweater heathered grey in merino wool or cotton? Try lambswool. It'll have a more interesting texture and depth to the color. You also won't get such a lifeless drape around your midsection, if you get the right lambswool sweater (or take a decent one to a knit tailor).
    8. I personally like vnecks with a slightly smaller opening, but that's your call.

Lulz, dude, if I could drop $1000 on one pair of boots or shoes, I'm sure my taste in clothes would be much better than it is. I just turned 25 and until I was about 22-23 I wore clothes from Billabong and the like. I appreciate your input, I know the jeans are too big too. I haven't bought jeans in at least a year because I can't find slimmer ones that don't bug the shit out of me in the thigh. I have bought a couple pair of chinos that fit much better, I just don't wear them all the time. I'm still on the hunt for a store that sells sweaters that are long enough, but slim enough not to hang off me. The one in the picture is a cotton, cashmere and silk blend. I have a merino wool sweater but it's fucking warm so I kind of avoid it.

16. melonadejello

melonadejello Well-Known Member

hey guys!!! an awesome quality picture for ya'll.

oliver peoples

Which frames are those?

17. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

oliver peoples hoover

18. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

you should really ditch the chinstrap

"Here's a tip: a beard is no substitute for a jawline, no matter how you trim it."

[/Venture Bros.]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Not actually WIWWT, but an x-post from IIIrd Icon's thread and a response to a request for sizing help.

19. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Well-Known Member

hey how bout some fitpics [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. chasingred

Lulz, dude, if I could drop $1000 on one pair of boots or shoes, I'm sure my taste in clothes would be much better than it is. I just turned 25 and until I was about 22-23 I wore clothes from Billabong and the like. I appreciate your input, I know the jeans are too big too. I haven't bought jeans in at least a year because I can't find slimmer ones that don't bug the shit out of me in the thigh. I have bought a couple pair of chinos that fit much better, I just don't wear them all the time. I'm still on the hunt for a store that sells sweaters that are long enough, but slim enough not to hang off me. The one in the picture is a cotton, cashmere and silk blend. I have a merino wool sweater but it's fucking warm so I kind of avoid it.
    Few people can afford to drop $1,000 on shoes, including the big timers on here. For what it's worth, those Peals went on sale to $600 during the Brooks Brothers Christmas sale. $600 is still a lot though. I really only linked them because they were on my mind today. I was wearing my Charles Tyrwhitt military boots and thinking about how much better last seasons' Peal cordovans would be. There are much cheaper options. I don't know what kind of shoes you wear, but you can get decent shoes for $100-150 on eBay, the Buying & Selling subforum here on this site, and sometimes Superfuture. You can search around for ideas. If you often find yourself wearing jeans and chinos, maybe some basic chukkas can be a starting point. The most basic entry level chukka is a Loake Kempton, and those sell for around $100-125 on a regular basis on eBay. Point really is that nice shoes can be had for cheap, and you definitely don't need $1,000. As for entry level jeans, go try on some 3Sixteens or APC New Standards. Note that APCs tend to stretch out much more over time, but both are decent entry level options. You can find them for around $150, give or take $20 dollars, but you only really need one pair of jeans anyway. I think they will fit you better than what you have on now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.