1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

thats a damn nice watch. i had a RW years ago...REALLY liked it. id say go for it.

2. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

If you like Raymond Weil, check out Frederique Constant. There was a topic on WUS a while back (here, although the pictures seemed to have expired) That shows RW has directly copied FC designs in an astonishing amount. It sparked a lively debate over the legal or ethical choices some watches make when taking a large portion of inspiration from another single watch.

If it were my dollar, I'd want one that was the original and not the copy. (take "original" with a grain of salt. FC uses Breguet hands and takes a lot of inspiration from other classic pieces but there's a difference in being inspired by classics and slapping your name on someone else's design) FC also started the Open Heart trend in 1994, which has become wildly popular.

Either way, RW has solid build quality although I believe the majority of their offerings have been quartz in the past. Not sure about that model.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

^^i dont know...FC has pretty much completely ripped off quite a few watches ...they have knock offs of the PP calatrava, VC Patrimony, Breguet, etc. Id hardly call their watches "original"

4. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Any pics? I'd be interested in seeing them.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'm around... just a bit more passive. As IS said, pretty busy with work

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

dat dome. :drool:

good to see you!

7. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

+1 ... nice vintage sub.

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

great looking sub.

re: RW, im usually not a fran, but that brown one is pretty.

9. Austin And Ives

Austin And Ives Member

This is my watch, a Longines Hydroconquest, its not much compared to some of your watches but its pretty special for an 18 year old. Also I think its got a pretty good balance between subtleness and shinyness (if you get me), its not in your face but people do notice it, which is appropriate for my age. Also I think its got quite a manly feel and look to it which I like :)

[​IMG]

Also was shopping the other day and tried on this beauty, the bracelet compliments the chunky face surprisingly well, I think it looks quite unique because of this :p

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Vintage sub is awesome.

Speedy Pro in action:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Quote:Bawhawhawhaw, this really made me laugh. What's this? I'm actually developing a sense of temperance or patience? Sacre bleu! Yeah, the issue I have with the 5059 is that while it has its lovely aspects, there are also SOME trade-offs (the "15" and "17" cut off, the enamel-like dial with Roman numerals being cool but conceivably looking flat versus the more "decorated" / "sculpted" batons you can find in the 3940 (cheaper than the 5059) or the mega-expensive perpetual calendar chronos). At these price points, you SHOULDN'T have to think about trade-offs, IMHO!

12. no frills

Quote:Thought you'd latch on to that "eclectic" use of fonts! The world time line has not yet captured my fancy (my wallet whispers thanks), but the 5110P is certainly a lovely piece. You are right: if I want to avoid temptation I really shouldn't put myself in its way! Visited "my dealer" (like that, mimo?) to add a link to my wife's watch/bracelet and of course he brought out some goodies...

13. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

Moo is doing it right. It's a well-known fact that the Speedy is incredibly accurate for timing NASA rocket burns as well as hayrides.

2 people like this.
  14. no frills

Quote:It certainly has an appealing heft to it. It's close to 13mm in terms of height, so it has greater presence on the wrist than, say, a 3940 or even a Nautilus with its larger case size.

15. no frills

Quote:Which PP perpetual calendar sings to you better, DerekS?

16. kungapa

kungapa Well-Known Member

We talked a bit before about the Nomos Weltzeit. Would be a fantastic watch for someone that switch time zones a lot - though I'd much prefer it with blue hands!

Blue hands:
    [​IMG]
    Original:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

17. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i too like the blued hands better of the two.

18. kungapa

kungapa Well-Known Member

Now too bad that is just something I photoshopped, and not something offered...

19. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

yours. haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.