• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

It looks very nice. While not a watch I would have worn at 17, it's certainly not one I would mind wearing now. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it. Don't let any potential haters get you down.

i dont think anyone could get him down with that watch. those vintage seamasters are gorgeous watches.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thank you

very clever

Philpot

Reaction score
It looks very nice. While not a watch I would have worn at 17, it's certainly not one I would mind wearing now. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it. Don't let any potential haters get you down.
Well, it's certainly not something I'll wear with my t shirt and jeans to classes sort of thing. But I'm finding more and more that I have occasions to be dressed up. That plus the fact that I'll soon be attending a college with a somewhat-formal-leaning business casual dress code and lots of suit & tie events (pre-law), I figure it'll be a good investment. So far, I'm in love.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly not something I'll wear with my t shirt and jeans to classes sort of thing. But I'm finding more and more that I have occasions to be dressed up. That plus the fact that I'll soon be attending a college with a somewhat-formal-leaning business casual dress code and lots of suit & tie events (pre-law), I figure it'll be a good investment. So far, I'm in love.
Congrats on your Seamaster! Its a nice start to collecting. Enjoy it and good luck with your classes.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish I had your taste at 17.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, she's here. According to the serial number, this Seamaster was made in 1957. As I said before, I'm a 17y.o. high schooler with a limited budget. I had been looking around at new watches and none of them really fit what I was looking for, so I started to look at vintage. When I saw this, I fell in love. Yes, the dial has been redone. So is it the most collectable vintage watch out there? No. But I quite like the black face really, and since all I want out of this watch is personal enjoyment... it serves its purpose :) I'm quite happy with this as a starter for my collection.
I'll need a new band though, my wrist is too dang small.

I really like this, how much would a similar watch cost?

Any vintage rolex watches you guys can recommend?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, she's here. According to the serial number, this Seamaster was made in 1957. As I said before, I'm a 17y.o. high schooler with a limited budget. I had been looking around at new watches and none of them really fit what I was looking for, so I started to look at vintage. When I saw this, I fell in love. Yes, the dial has been redone. So is it the most collectable vintage watch out there? No. But I quite like the black face really, and since all I want out of this watch is personal enjoyment... it serves its purpose :) I'm quite happy with this as a starter for my collection.
I'll need a new band though, my wrist is too dang small.

Beautiful watch.

(and yes, I believe it deserve to be shown again)

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a new watch.

Seiko SARN003. Retrograde days, GMT 2nd time zone, power reserve, date. One of the more elusive Seikos, with a rather interesting and unusual in-house movement. The chances of running into anyone who even knows what this watch is are remote. Chances of running into someone else who owns one are about nil. (Nobody in the U.S. other than a die-hard Seiko collector like me would pay Omega $$ for a Seiko.)

Although I own some Swiss watches, I really like Japanese watches a lot. This has been something of a "grail" watch for me. I've kept waiting to find one used, but they are so scarce, that they pretty much never come up for sale. I finally bit the bullet and bought one new. My new favorite in my Japanese collection.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/SPOILER]
There are quite a few actually.

It really depends on which model, which vintage (year), and what interests you the most.

A vintage Rolex can either cost you a bit less than a newer model or many dollars more.

I really think you first should do some research for yourself first to determine where your interest lies and how much money you wish to spend.

Also vintage buying is unlike buying a newer model in so many ways.

You can't just walk into a store and get one.

Make sure you buy the seller..

Depending on what your looking for it could take a couple of months or a couple of years to find one.

However if your really interested in getting one, no matter how long the wait it will be worth the hunt.

You may want to start here:

http://www.vintagerolexforum.com/

and here:

http://www.rolexforums.com/index.php

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I wish I had your taste at 17.

no kidding.

[/SPOILER]

Seamasters can be had for fantastic deals. For vintage rolexes, you can get in above your head pretty quick depending on the watch. Id recommend an old datejust, or precision dial. Avoid the old subs or SDs unless you have a disposable income. Those are gorgeous, and some can get over 50K. (google mil sub)

great site ****!

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no kidding.
Seamasters can be had for fantastic deals. For vintage rolexes, you can get in above your head pretty quick depending on the watch. Id recommend an old datejust, or precision dial. Avoid the old subs or SDs unless you have a disposable income. Those are gorgeous, and some can get over 50K. (google mil sub)
great site ****!

They are located here in Dallas, and I believe they have a showroom. It is my hope to get in there sometime soon to get eyes on the pieces directly so that I can say something more about how their pieces look.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

They are located here in Dallas, and I believe they have a showroom. It is my hope to get in there sometime soon to get eyes on the pieces directly so that I can say something more about how their pieces look.

i have a fondness for vintage watches...id be like a kid in a candy store in a showroom with that kind of selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads