1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

Nice. Not many of those came on a Jubilee, although who knows if it's original and who cares anyway? I prefer the Oyster bracelet on an Explorer, but I'd be still be very happy to wear that one.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

the bracelet does look replaced to me, but hot damn that dial!

3. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

There are other parts of the ostrich to consider. Ostrich leg is durable while having a scale texture similar to lizard.

[​IMG]

4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Who's the maker of the strap?

5. Belligero

It looks like it's from the right period, so it could well be original as they did sell some Explorers on Jubilé. Agreed that gilt dials are the hawtness.

Philipp Stahl's Explorer-dialed big-crown 6538 Submariner is the ultimate gilt-dial watch on the planet, at least in my opinion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photos: Phillip Stahl

6. kirbya

kirbya Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What do you gentlemen think of this watch? A 1990's Audemars Piguet GMT w/ Power Reserve and Date Indicator.

I enjoy this classic design. My only condern is with Audemars... the brand has edged outside the of the mainstream lately. However, but $11,000 I think it could be a beautiful addition and a great watch for travel.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Spot on Mimo! Although the Chopard is the least offensive to the senses there are better choices for the same money that the OP has as his budget. The LV watch is a joke...they should put their focus back on handbags, luggage, wallets etc. A digital Omega...why that when they offer plenty of good mechanical watches? There are some really good watches available for $5,500 and the OP should do some research before pulling the trigger on a watch.

8. Dino944

Hi Hayward, Ostrich leg would be acceptable to me on a good watch. I think I mentioned ostrich leg looks something like a cross between python and lizard and is durable...and hankfully it doesn't have that acne look.

9. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a maker of watch straps that have the quick-release pin? Needed in non-standard XL size.

10. Dino944

That's the AP Dual Time. It used a JLC movement as a base, and it has also been used in ROs and VCs Overseas Dual Time.

It's a top quality watch and great for travel. I find its crown & lugs a tad small, but that's just personal taste.

As for AP going outside the mainstream, they've been on the cutting edge of use of different materials for at least 2 decades. While many people theses days are more familiar with their sports watches, they continue to make some great dress watches, some time only, others very complicated. Only you can decide if a vintage dual time dress watch is right for you.

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I'm usually not a big fan of Daytonas, but wow.

12. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

+1 to Dino944's comments above. The case size works for me, but the crown and lugs seem slightly small in proportion.

AP's recent decision to slash prices for their precious metal pieces by anywhere from 15 to 30% isn't going to help brand perception (and I'm glad I didn't purchase a precious metal AP over the last year, otherwise I'd be fuming and demanding a small refund), but perhaps it can pave the way for others to enjoy the superb quality that this watchmaker does offer.

13. bboysdontcryy

When was this? Time to visit an AP store.

14. Belligero

Definitely nice, but this is the vintage Daytona to have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photo: Dr. Strong

Make mine the one with the black bezel, please!

15. bboysdontcryy

Sheesh.

16. kirbya

kirbya Well-Known Member

Thanks. That's good information. I was curious whose movement they use. I'm just concerned $11k is a little overpriced for this watch. I saw that a similar piece sold at auction in 2009 for $6,000. Love the classic elegance, though. This style of watch is right up my alley.

This Chopard Perpetual Calendar was another recent acquisition. It uses a JLC base movement, also.

[​IMG]

17. Belligero

On second thought, "wow" is right. That thing's completely untouched. I'd still take one with a PN dial over it, but it's insane cash for those.

18. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

19. no frills

Ah yes. One of my trusted dealers showed me a PN Daytona a few weeks ago for a modest price of $55,000.

20. no frills

Oi, Belligero you find the best collages. It's like you have a thing for aesthetics and balance or something. What is up with that? [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.