1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Bingo! Don't stir the pot... for the sake of stirring the pot.

Went and tried on some Hublots today for the sheer heck of it. Eye watering prices - almost in ALS/PP territory for many models. The King Power, is, well... the King Power of something, I'm honestly not sure what. Then there was this other model which looks like a copy of an IWC sports watch - the name escapes me now. Even had faux screws in the polished bezel..

I really have no idea what attracts people to this marque. Are there any Hublot owners (make that real Hublots, not fake Hublots) on this thread who can explain their appeal to me?? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Hi Lucan, based on the design of the TF, you really don't have much choice in terms of how to get it started (but don't worry its a very durable watch). On most other watches, yes I'd use the winding crown.

Hi Jeff, you are correct cal 1400 was the first manual wind time only non-complicated in house movement that VC had made in many years. Prior to that many of their watches used F.Piguet or JLCs as a base. Actually, my Carree uses a JLC Reverso movement as its base. The quotes about VC being the greatest watchmaker of your grandfathers generation is interesting, but I am not surprised. A friend that lives in Europe once told me if you talk to older generations, the two brands that are of the highest regard in their eyes are Vacheron and Breguet, he said they have little interest in AP, PP, AL&S. In addition, several articles online or even in some books I've read described VC as the pinacle of watch making until roughly the 1950-60s when Patek took on that title.

Interesting that people have mistakened your VC for a Patek. Although, I'm guessing they were not truly into watches, but know the Patek name. I find the flared lugs on the case of your watch are pure VC and not something I'd expect to find on a Patek, AP, AL&S. I agree that some people may have heard of Patek or AP, but not VC. My Dad knew about Patek because he had an uncle that owned one in the 1950s, he knew about AP because when he had his first good watch a GMT Master in the early 1970s he met someone with an AP who showed him the watch told about them being one of the finest watches. It was not until the mid 1980s that he heard of VC when another doctor told him about the brand, as this doctor had practiced in Europe for a while and bought a VC while over there.

It is interesting how the landscape in the world of watches changes. At one point VC was the top brand, and then it became Patek. Some of it may be attributed to changes in ownership with VC, and at times I don't think they were well funded by their owners and their collections became a bit lacking in direction...although that has changed in the last 10+ years. Patek certainly has been a step above in terms of movements, although at the level these watches are at, on some level the difference in quality (other than of an AL&S which seems to be the finest finish) is largely theoretical as tollerances are now so small. I do like many Pateks, but for several years I found some of their designs too old for my taste, and VC were overall more appealing as their designs seemed bolder, more beautiful, and more suitable for a younger person. I don't currently have a Patek in my collection, but I hope to be able to enjoy the ownship experience some day.

3. Dino944

I don't own and Hublot. They don't really appeal to me, maybe as I find them pricey and their Big Bang watches sort of remind me of a less attractive AP RO Offshore. I do think they should get credit or being one of the pioneering companies to use rubber as a strap for their watches. They were doing that back in the 1980s. Overall its just not a brand that captures my interest.

4. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

I think a great deal of the appeal of an AL&S movement lies in the somewhat baroque flourishes the brand employs to great effect - blued screwed gold chatons, engraved balance cock, emphasis through layout choices of the "multi-level" appearance to the chronograph movements, etc - that while adding nothing to timekeeping up the ante when it comes to pure aesthetic appeal. Think Mozart piano concerto vs a Bach harpsichord concerto.

Patek movements are nice, but well, can sometimes seem a bit... boring - and I say this as the owner of a cal 240.

Like a fellow collector put it to me - the classical/proper/clean-looking designs of the AL&S dials contrast well with the view once you flip the watch over, apparently not unlike German women... :embar:

5. no frills

no frills Well-Known Member

Back from a short sojourn with the family. Here's another one from my collection. I love the tonneau shaped case, really contrasts with the 3940P's more classic (standard? boring?) round shape.

From a sartorial point of view, the yellow gold / brown strap also covers me whenever I'm wearing clothes or shoes for which platinum / black strap of the 3940P may not be the best choice.

[​IMG]

Also, in line with the theme of display backs from a few pages ago, I do enjoy viewing the cal 240 movement with this one, which I am unable to do with the 3940P since the 3940s in platinum only came with a solid back.

[​IMG]

6. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

This is my first post on this thread. Just wanted to share a pic of my daily warhorse. It's comparatively small by today's standards. But, it serves me well. I wear it all the time, even while playing golf. Looks good with a suit and tie and doesn't catch on dress shirts or pants pockets. Best of all it was a gift from my sister and my children for my fithtieth birthday.[​IMG]

7. no frills

I love it. Is that the 114270 with a 36mm case? I have that too. It's elegant, fits my 6.25" wrist, not the most obvious choice for a Rolex (at least I don't see it around as often as Subs) and has a fine history behind it (descended from the 1016, fun story given the Everest summit (did Hillary wear it or not!?) and was established to be "the original James Bond watch" that Sir Ian Fleming wrote about, etc). Plus, it can take one heck of a beating. When my trips involve beaches, sand, sunscreen, chlorinated water or seawater, I tend not to bring my PPs. I strap on my 114270.

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i personally dont really "get it." i have never owned one, but have handled them. they dont really do anything for me, but i did read an article about jean claude biver, a few years ago, when he had first revived the brand. the guy is a genius. no question. he focused on the brands original core innovation, using new and interesting materials, and went crazy with it. they dont seem to be the watch snobs watch of choice, but for many out there looking for an expensive but funky/cool/new timepiece, he hit the nail on the head.
    another beauty.

9. no frills

Thanks, man. What I love about my current collection is that they offer enough diversity that I feel excited about wearing the other pieces - versus favoring just one and ending up wearing that 90% of the time. Also, I tend to buy in two's because I fully intend to pass my watches on to my two children (who may, of course, end up not liking or wearing them, haha)... that means I seek pieces that are "of the same horological quality" (hence, two PP PCs) but different enough so that they end up getting two unique heirlooms.

I probably put too much time thinking about these things but hey, given the price tag even on pre-owned PP PCs I figure it's worth the investment in time and attention.

1 person likes this.
  10. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

+2

I love this thread. I think I stop reading about clothes in 2010 lol.

Hell I think at least half of my post is in this thread or what are you drinking/smoking thread.

11. Warren G.

I really love the 240 movement.

Speaking of microrotor.
    Chopard L.U.C. 1.96 is no slouch either :slayer:
    (obv. not my pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Yes it is a 114270. It's a "P" series to be specific. Nice to hear from an afficianado who appreciates this timepieces history and lore. Both factual and mythological.

14. Dino944

+1.

PP and AL&S both offer superb movments, just different. I think what is attractive about the AL&S movement is one can truly see some of the handworkmanship and individuality in the engraving of the balance cock. Its a small detail among many fine things that they do, but at the PP and AL&S level its often the small details that cause one to choose one very fine brand over another.

Entertaining comment about AL&S and German women. Not sure I'll share that quote with my wife. [​IMG]
    Another stunner! It took me some years to warm up to the beauty of a watch in a Tonneau case...but now I really love the design. What a great piece. Nice to see others here at SF choosing something other than a round cased watch. I love the contrast of going from a round watch (most of my daily wearers are round) to something different in shape for a dress watch.

15. no frills

Wow, that's exquisite!

16. Kyle is raaddd

Kyle is raaddd Active Member

Here is my first auto diver,
    Sorry it is very 'poverty' compared to the pieces I have been seeing lately [​IMG]

Orient Mako w/NATO
    [​IMG]
    Even busted out the 'ol 50 for it

17. Warren G.

It is a great watch. My cousin wore that exact same watch for years.

18. NDND2012

NDND2012 Active Member

Sweet watch! The black on black is cool. I like the superocean heritage a lot.
    [​IMG]
    Wife gave to me as engagement present

19. jeff13007

jeff13007 Well-Known Member

One more post from your collection and I'm moving to the Poor mans watch thread! I mean it! lol jk, you have some beautiful pieces my friend.

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it! The Orient Mako is a great watch. Probably my most worn watch on a daily basis to be honest!

[​IMG]

It has taken BEYOND a beating, and is still a great timekeeper. Although of course I prefer my Speedy, I love being able to wear a watch with no reservations. I could not say enough good things about Orient, I strongly recommend their products, and will probably be picking up a Bambino soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.