1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Actually not that amazingly cunning, the hexagons on the bezel are screws (in WG!!) with hexagonal heads that are held in place by the hexagonal bezel cutouts, and then they have nuts screw onto them from the caseback side through the case - i.e. the screws stay stationary and the nuts screw down on to the screws from behind.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Very Nice, Congrats.

3. apropos

Does anyone have experience with either peccary or pigskin in watchstraps?

4. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Well-Known Member

Simple and cunning rather than very difficult and cunning - good engineering principles at work by AP I suspect..

5. Akeem

Akeem Well-Known Member

The LVC bezel color looks nothing like this picture in person. It's more of a pale green color which was not what I was expecting. On the other hand, the dial is really cool to look at.

6. dddrees

There maybe some advantages with the newer version, but in my book the older version is much better.
    [​IMG]

7. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your 15400! Very nice choice. If you did not buy it through a boutique, remember to register it online and they will add a year to the 2 year warranty.
    Here is a link showing the construction of a Royal Oak case and how the white gold hex screws and nuts are used to seal the case. Today most cases are a bit different in that they case backs are not solid, and they use a synthetic saphire case back so you can see the movement.
    Actually, it was really quite impressive when it was developed. It was the first watch I remember hearing about where the case back was a solid part of the case block and the gaskets, movement, etc. all were installed through the front of the watch and locked down by tightening the bezel/hex screws by turning the nuts that passed through the case back. They actually had to devise tools that could produce the cases and bracelets out of steel, because nothing had ever been built like this. Therefore, the original prototyle was made in white gold which is easier to work with than steel.
    My father had a coat and at a later date gloves made of pigskin. They have a sort of suede like nap/quality to them. If find them soft but they feel sort of heavy. I'm not sure that it would wear well unless the nap was removed from the top surface. Otherwise it might show the same type of wear/staining from moisture etc that you see with suede.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

+1 . I like the original LVs more than the new ones. I just don't think the colored (blue or green) ceramic bezels look good. Just seeing yours makes me feel I need to give my old LV some wrist time.

9. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

"Sorry," I have to disagree~ Any watch for me over 40mm is a monstrosity[​IMG] Unless you have popeye's wrists of course! This all sounds like the herd following each other off the cliff !

10. Shikar

Shikar Well-Known Member

dddrees, equus, Dino...thanks for the kind words. I got it from AD so will register for 3rd year warranty sticker.

It's a well finished watch with sharp contrasts on the case and bracelet.

Regards.

11. dddrees

Yep, those are my exact same thoughts as well.
    [​IMG]

12. chocsosa

chocsosa Well-Known Member

Can we see a picture of the B&M Capeland Stitches? I'm a B&M fan and I've never seen you post it..

13. Belligero

Belligero Well-Known Member

There's no justification necessary; it's a thoroughly no-excuses watch. In the short run or the long run, it's very unlikely that you'd regret getting a Rolex compared to anything else in the same price range.

14. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i like them both. :)
    i like it. not my fave PP, but i wouldnt turn it away.
    looks great. great strap.
    :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: great new purchase!!!!!
    i think i have posted it before, but i will make sure to wear and post it this week. just for you. :)

15. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty insulting. I strongly prefer big watches (up to 46mm, even), and find small watches old-fashioned and even "dainty." Are you genuinely convinced your preference for small watches is somehow objectively correct or superior? Because, um, it. is. not.

16. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Gotta second that B&M curiosity. They make some cool stuff I've only seen in studio shots.

17. apropos

Well, watches today are worn more as an expression of personal taste as opposed to a need for portable timekeeping, and by extension I also feel that there is some currency in the opinion that the large watches of today are a form of compensation for the so-called emasculation of the modern man.

To clarify the point I am trying to make through hyperbole, you have the original He-men of the 1950s/60s who with 33-34mm watches strapped on explored/dominated women/smoked/drank/fucked with abandon, while you have the relatively emasculated Joe Sixpack today picking the kids up from school in the MPV complete with baby seat his wife forced him to buy... with a 46mm Breitling strapped to his wrist.

In other words, consider that you perceive smaller watches as "dainty" (i.e. feminine) because a watch for you is as much expression of your "manhood" as your not wearing a skirt.

While to some degree I appreciate the Panerai aesthetic and think their watches look nice, I think of the brand more as a PR triumph in the sense that they (sorry GDL) managed to parley recased ho-hum ebauches worn by an inconsequential unit in an inconsequential navy in an inconsequential military power (seriously, Italian naval divers???!!) into a global He-man desirable watch phenomenon... IMO JLC and IWC are trying to replicate Panerai's success with that concept today with the Navy Seal and Top Gun LEs respectively.

18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Just for you and chocsosa, found this in my camera roll. :) Not the best pic, but gets the job done. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Yes good. Thanks, stitches!

This thread makes me frown at my Seiko Cinco...

On the plus side, it does provide a bunch of reasons to get good grades.

20. chocsosa

chocsosa Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you Apro! The biggest watch I own is 42mm..I like the smaller watches..IMO just elegant and timeless..perfect size watch would be 38mm..but I have a couple that are 34-36mm.. I see those guys with the 46mm watches and the first thing you notice is the size of the watch before anything else.. I feel a watch is supposed to compliment not be the star..but that's just to me though..

Yessir! That is the business right there! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.