1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McWu

McWu Active Member

I'm finding this a versatile watch:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

While typically I am not a fan of most Zeniths, that looks pretty cool.

4. in stitches

we just bought a 1987 gmt master II. i need to find a way to buy its. its delicious.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

+1 Cartier is probably the company that is most famous for its use of rectangular cases. There is a huge variety of styles and sizes (new and vintage) to suit almost anyone's taste.

I agree 100%. Its absolutely rediculous how many nearly perfect designs are ruined by adding a date window to a dial. As of yet, none of my dress watches have a date.
    As for your Daytona issue, while I've heard of people wanting their birth year for a watch, trying to find one in good shape that comes up for sale from 1979 could be quite difficult. There are a few sources that regularly get manual wind Daytonas, but how long it would take them to get one from 1979 is anybody's guess. You could contact Jame Dowling, he is in England. However, you have to pick it up there or have a designated agent pick it up for you. Rolex has very extreme customs laws in the US and as such Mr. Dowling will not ship watches to the States. As for pricing, the time to have gotten one of these for a fair or good price has long gone. in the 1990s you could get a non-Paul Newman Dial for about $8,000. Now I regularly see average condition models in roughly the 24,000-28,000 range...whether a seller will give you a break depends on the seller. For true top quality example with box and papers expect to pay more than that. Check Paul Duggan's website , he is in Boston and he always has a few. He has a great reputation although I've never dealt with him. I'm very fussy about condition, so most of his Daytonas when I've seen them on line, they might be in very good shape for roughly 35 year old watches, but they just are not in a condition that would make me happy. If you are more concerned about year than condition, you might be able to get into a Daytona at the lower end of the average price range. Good luck.
    Great quality, but I've always had trouble getting excited about BP's designs. I find them a bit sterile. But if you like the design, its a very well made watch.

6. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Dino944

Far nicer and more impressive than their current direction!
    Agree completely. For some reason, I'd just feel more comfortable spending money on a JLC the a GP, GO, or BP.
    I'm not saying wearing 2 watches at the same time looks great, but it was impressive to see both of those "in the wild." That was back in the day when many watch companies didn't have website, putting photos on the net was tougher, and your two best sources for seeing fine watches was your local watch shop or calling the company for a catalog.
    GP should probably get away from sports watches. The Seahawk is a mess, and WTF is with the Laureato? It started out as something like a RO, Nautilus, 222, Ingenuier, and it has morphed into some hideous cartoon version of its origial design. They should stick to dress watches. I've tried on the EOT in rose gold and its simply stunning. But when I heard the price, it just made me think that's Lange territory and I just wouldn't put that kind of money into a GP. In the under $20K range its an interesting option, but even then I'd be more likely to defer to JLC or Piaget.
    Basically a fashion watch with quartz movement. Nothing very significant about it. But if your gf/wife likes it thats what matters.
    Very hot watch!!!!

8. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Good luck, keep us posted.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Very nice. Rarely does one find an in-house chronograph and annual calendar in a sub-$10,000 price segment. It does not look as lifeless as I though it did in photos. It actually looks very handsome, and versatile. A nice dress / sport watch. I think Zenith ought to start using a bigger movement, however, or smaller cases.

10. in stitches

well, i defo post a pic when its ready for sale, and hopefully i will find a way to acquire it as well. dont nobody hold their breath tho.

11. Dino944

+1 Great features for that price range. However, if they used a larger movement and the subdials/apperatures were spaced further apart on the dial it would further enhance the look of that watch. Still a very nice watch!

12. McWu

McWu Active Member

I definitely understand the comments about the subdial spacing. Aesthetically, the close placement isn't too much of an issue on this one as it is on some of the other El Primero models (in my eyes), but it'd certainly enhance chrono subdial legibility to not be so close to the dial center (hands obscure the subdial for a longer amount of time).

13. ChicagoMoose

ChicagoMoose New Member

Fine Swiss Watch Repair on Wabash in the loop. Kent was great to work with.

-Steve

14. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

I'm gonna revisit Axelman's question re: top 5 watches after some further consideration, and cheat a little bit by putting some alternatives in each slot according to brand. I know this isnt particularly realistic, but I'd rather throw out an uncompromising list. Maybe i'll swallow my pride and post a list of 5 Seiko 5's later [​IMG]

1. PP 5110P worldtimer
    2. an ALS "simple watch" i.e. 1815 platinum OR Richard Lange in platinum OR Anniversary Langematik
    3. JLC Reverso 1931 US Edition OR still waiting for the right reverso to come along
    4. Rolex sport watch, i.e 1680 Submariner OR 1680 red sub OR 1675 Pepsi GMT OR 1016 Explorer
    5. JLC geophysic in stainless steel (I wouldn't mind a reissue of this watch)

...anyone wanna give me ~$90k?

15. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

Not a huge Reverso fan but these special editions are lovely:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Nice call on the Geophysic. Is it wrong that I am thinking about waiting until SIHH 2013 just to see if there is a reissue this year. For some reason or another, I have a gut feeling that this could be the year of the Geophysic. Such a sexy watch. Alas, a reissue would not have the Caliber P478. However, I would LOVE to see a Geophysic reissue that was: (a) manual wind [please no Geomatic reissue], (b) unfinished like the original, (c) with a new movement similar to Cal. P478, (d) with an acrylic crystal, or domed sapphire, (e) lume plots on the domed sapphire.

17. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

good luck :D

The GMT is probably my favorite Rolex. I love the Pepsi bezel so much. I can really see myself buying a 1675 or 16750 real soon. Even tho I already own a GMT-C. I love it that much.

18. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I couldn't help it, here's a bit of inspiration.

Wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

My wife has the same watch without the diamonds as her everyday watch and loves it. Quartz movement obviously but then most women's fashion watches are, I popped into David Morris on Bond Street to look at some watches for her and though costing the earth they were all quartz.

20. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Well-Known Member

Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.