1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I saw the Lange 1 Moonphase the other day... Jaw droppingly beautiful.

By the way, I think that I have made my decision. I am 99% sure that I am going to go (not GO) for the JLC MUT Moon. It is just such a gorgeous watch. And I may put the remainder in something less expensive to bum around in. Perhaps a Stowa, or something of that ilk. That is still to be determined.

Also, happy new years to all! I have had a great time reading, learning, and talking shop with y'all over the last year.

On an unrelated tangent, any recommended JLC ADs? Been looking at Govberg. In addition, I was looking around for watches for the lady friend, as she asked. My goodness are women's watches ever a scam! I was looking at the Michele watches in particular, and it is UNBELIEVABLE what they are getting away with... Murder! Touting strap changing as something revolutionary? It is absolutely absurd. For a close to $2,000 watch for some of them, you are getting so little it is absurd. They feel incredibly flimsy as well.

3. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to it, Newcomer!! Then we will both have a dual moon collection!!! I am thinking of a stowa flieger (no date no logo)--you too? Kinda freaky our tastes are so aligned but kinda awesome as well.

As for womens watches, yeah pretty much a total scam. Stick to Cartier or get a Rolex Datejust/Explorer. At 36mm you can steal it on occasion [​IMG]

For some inspiration, a repost:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. Newcomer

I know, it is funny how we have gravitated to such similar watches. I think I am going with the JLC, a lot because of how thin it is. Sometimes it is great to have such a low profile watch. Plus, between the JLC and the Speedy Pro, you are pretty much set for any occasion! It is odd that we have such a similar collection, but I guess we have both been influenced by similar sources perhaps? Hopefully it will be here in a week or so, so I will be sure to update everyone!

Also, I am thinking about about going for the Stowa Marine Original. Feel like I need something in between the Speedy Pro and the JLC, in terms of dressiness, and they make one hell of a pretty deck watch.

5. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

Truth be told, I fell in love with the MUT Moon when I first laid eyes on it over at puristspro. I believe they were the first pix released from SIHH that year (2011). I had to wait the whole year before my AD got it in November. What a screw that was.

6. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about the PP Tophat?

[​IMG]

7. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Pretty spectacular if you like rectangular cased watches.

8. poorsod

I don't have any and that maybe I should.

9. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

I dug up the original inspiration for my purchase. Its funny as much as you look at watches, whether in-store, online or whatever, sometimes you just KNOW. I can still remember the moment I first saw it.

I wasn't brave enough to order it over the phone though. i had to see it on my wrist first.

http://jlc.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-2/pi-4427173/ti-689688/s-0/

The rest is history

Minor quibble: I wish it was a manual wind to make the watch that much thinner.

Sidenote: scrolling through those archives, I am such a JLC brandwhore.

10. Newcomer

That is the post that sold me as well. I feel like since I have worn a 40mm (which I find a bit big), on the wrist the 39mm will be a fairly small difference. Both the MC and the MUT Moon have a similar aesthetic. Ever since I saw the watch, I have always wanted it in my collection. The RDM always sung to me as well, but there is something wonderful about a Moonphase.

I also wish that it was manual wind. The Speedy Pro has really convinced me that manual wind is the way to go.

11. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

For 50 and over[​IMG] Sorry I'm not really laughing at you, but the watch is just too out of date!

12. poorsod

That's exactly why it is fantastic. :slayer:

13. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

Ahh, gotcha, made you just uncover your age[​IMG]

14. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

What the hell are you talking about?

15. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

But seriously! I can see I am amongst older gents! You guys like going backwards, pretty fast, too, while I like to go forward! So, as not to become an irritant, I'll post when there are watches I know more about[​IMG]

16. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

Just poking fun @ the last Patek! Do'nt you dare try to ruin the fun[​IMG]

17. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

That Patek is lovely, for sure, but yeah, way too old for me, too.

18. Johnboy

Johnboy Well-Known Member

Hi Guys I need some advice, I want to buy one of these 2 watches, and would like to know which you would choose above the other and why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Without a shadow of doubt the first one and even then only because the other is a twotone PG(!!)-SS abomination.

BTW, that's not to say PG-SS is always abominable for mens watches - check my "top 4 watches" for PG-white metal done well. Another good example is the early PG-SS piepan Omega Constellation.

20. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.