1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHRK33

CHRK33 Well-Known Member

So I have decided I want to be on the hunt for a Daytona produced during the year I was born 1979 - anyone have any suggestions for where the best places to track one down would be? There is no rush and am happy to just monitor the various watch boards but thought the knowledgeable folks here might have even better leads. Feel free to PM as I don't want to waste others' time on the board.

Also if anyone has thoughts on what would be fair for me to expect to pay I would appreciate the info. Thanks much and have a Happy New Year.

2. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

Kinda love the watch, but you can ditch the "runs" better choice would be NB's,US/UK made preferably, sorry[​IMG]

3. ant702

ant702 Well-Known Member

Guys who have the "WATCH BUG," are insatiable, I know it well! Anyway, well said!

4. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

YOU?!?!?!?!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. vincefb

vincefb Well-Known Member

6. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

my choices in no particular order:

1. PP World time (5110 in platinum or the 5130 Mecca edition just to be fancy)
    2. JLC Reverso (1931 US edition 2nd version aka brown strap or possibly the vanilla white dial with Arabic numerals or TBD)
    3. 1680 Rolex Red Submariner
    4. 1675 Rolex GMT Pepsi bezel
    5. Long shot: JLC Master World Geographic (if it ever gets redesigned)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

awesomeness

8. HEPennypacker

HEPennypacker Well-Known Member

I like this one, but not the silicon parts. For a PP perpetual, I prefer the 5140P.

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and will need some time to complete. However, the following come to mind immediately so I'll start there (images courtesy of google img search).

IWC 3713 Der Doppel:

[​IMG]

Rolex Mil Sub

[​IMG]

Grande Lange 1 Platinum:

[​IMG]

Paul Newman Daytona:

[​IMG]

And I'll leave the last slot open...for now.

10. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Great choices.

11. D M B

D M B Well-Known Member

12. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

My ideal five watch collection:

1. AP Royal Oak 15400 - my first acquisition; will be my daily wearer for the foreseeable future:

[​IMG]

2. Nomos Tangomat - coveted this watch at a time when I couldn't justify throwing down even $2500. Love how it's so eccentric, unpretentious, and elegant under a shirt cuff. My next purchase

[​IMG]

3. IWC Big Pilot 5009 - was seriously considering this against the AP. Love how "FU" this looks on the wrist, the sweep of the second hand, and the quirky numerals:

[​IMG]

(Would be happy with 1-3; 4 and 5 are if I become rich)

4. ALS Richard Lange, Platinum - perfect size and dial for a dress watch for me; love Lange's aspiration to quartz-like accuracy with this one (more useful and impressive to me than most complications)

[​IMG]

5. Richard Mille 035 - Love that it was engineered for maximum lightness and ability to withstand shock - as with the RL, a more useful feature to me than calendars, chrono, moonphase, etc. Also think this is one of the most tasteful RM models without compromising the RM DNA.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

in no order, a little something different from other lists..

DSSD.
    JLC Extreme Lab 2 (a huge stretch for me..)
    IWC 3786
    PAM 346
    GO Senator Sixties Panorama Date (silver dial)

14. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

im having a really hard time with this list.

in no particular order

rolex SS datejust (should never have sold mine). white face, roman numerals. or maybe a pepsi dial GMT, not sure.

AP RO

ALS zeitwerk (its not really even close to attainable at present, but its well under 6 figures and i want it so bad)

pp anual calendar, not sure which model. (see above)

holding a spot for #5

15. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Nice choices. The 3713 is one of the few watches I've ever been interested in owning that used a Val 7750 as its base. That original pyramid style bracelet is beautiful and amazingly comfortable.

As for the PN Daytona, beautiful watch...although I'd favor one with the screw down pushers, but thats a minor point.

16. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

I've got the vintage bug bad :drool:

1. Speedmaster 376.0822

2. c861 pre-moon Speedmaster

3. a rg or wg omega with the 30T2RG calibre

4. c321 Seamaster chrono from the 1950s

5. stainless pie-pan Connie

17. McWu

McWu Active Member

Wearing this today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Aint that the truth!! This is/was much harder than I anticipated.

I really like your thoughtful feedback in this thread. Well thought out, snark and vitriol free. It's refreshing and contributes to the enlightening nature of this thread as a whole.

Couldn't agree more about the Beads of Rice bracelet on the IWC. I had one on my 3706 Flieger Chrono. I had doubts initially as I was so conservative in my tastes, i.e., Oyster style bracelet was the only one I liked. But it was so damn comfortable that it grew on my quickly. It didn't take long to love the aesthetics.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words Patrick. Overall, the regulars here may have different ideas about various brands and the directions we want our collections to take, but they are all a good bunch of guys. Exchanging different experiences and impressions really helps one to learn about the various brands, and in the process we all make some good friends.

I came very close to buying a 3706 or 3713 back in the mid 1996. However, an AD had just gotten in my grail watch, a new all steel 16520 Daytona and it was going for list price. I couldn't swing both pieces back then. So I got the Daytona and figured I'd get around to a 3706 or 3713 on a bracelet a bit later. I guess I still have to make good on that promise one of these days. [​IMG]

20. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My German family.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.