1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mackmittonz

mackmittonz Well-Known Member

That's a really tough price point. I would look at Hamilton in that price range. You don't start seeing decent swiss in house movement watches until you hit the $2000 threshold. Most watches in the $1000 price bracket are using ETA movements that while solid, can be found in watches that are half the price when sold through another manufacturer.

Another idea is going vintage like an Omega Deville, Constellation or Seamaster.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

I'd love to see pix of your MUT Moon on a brown strap. Ive been thinking of putting it on a tan strap myself.

I wouldn't worry too much about straps. They come and go. Heres a speedy pro on a brown strap:

[​IMG]
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/watch-most-strap-versatility-704427-2.html

I think the Zenith El Primero comes on a brown strap at the moment too..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

thanks, guys. yeah, its not amazing, but i really like how it looks on me. :hide:

also, we are looking at a lot of 18 watches today. breitlings, tags, panerais. oh my!

4. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

I am constantly reminded on how I envy your job...

5. in stitches

:laugh:

it can be sweet sometimes. :)

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I would go with a Stowa Marine Original at that price point!

1 person likes this.
  7. Newcomer

And I concur with the Speedy Pro suggestion, GREAT watch:

[​IMG]

I really have no problem with the date at that position, but I do have a problem with the fact that it cuts off some of the IIII; just goes to show that the watch is based on a calibre not made for it. I am not a big fan of cutoff numbers in general (not a deal breaker, it depends on the watch), but I think that that is a pretty egregious example of it.

8. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

I don't think I ever properly congratulated you on your SMP! Congrats to you and I apologize for the oversight!!! [​IMG]

Are we racing for the PML?

...at the moment I am in a 5513/14060 frame of mind...

9. Newcomer

No problem amigo! Thank you very much--honestly, it has quickly become my favorite watch. I absolutely love it, it is the perfect daily wearer. And we are indeed racing for the PML, although I feel you probably have the edge on this one. I will definitely be the tortoise in the race, moving slow and steady :).

And you are alone on the Rolex front for now! I think I will go vintage if I go Rolex, and I cannot justify vintage right now I don't think.

10. NakedTie

NakedTie Member

Thanks I would consider looking for a vintage watch. I'll have to search the web for some good deals before Christmas.

11. NakedTie

NakedTie Member

Thanks for the info. That is a nice looking watch!

12. in stitches

for me, it really depends on the watch. sometimes, i really like cutaway pieces of the dial, if it jives with the look of the watch. other times, not so much.

13. oisin

oisin Well-Known Member

off topic, but for you moonphase lovers, thought this was an interesting article/video -- much more going on with the moon than our watches show (well not my watches, I don't have anything with a moonphase yet).

I agree with Newcomer, really don't like the date window and how it cuts off the IIII. Disagree with Cylon -- I dig the rivets. I once had a strange aversion to the Royal Oak because of the screws and its shape, but now I :inlove: it so much.

you guys are cracking me up -- the PML is on my radar as is the MUT39, and I was deciding between a 14060 and Speedie before I ended up with the Speedie.

14. Cylon

Cylon Well-Known Member

great minds think alike or fools seldom differ?

15. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

The 1931 Tribute Reverso is a great watch. In its price range it's tough to match (much less) beat its level of quality. Also since you other watches are round it gives you diversity in your collection with regard to shape. I really like have variety in my collection with shapes, metals, and functions. An Omega Speedy Pro is very nice, but there are several nice chronographs one the market. There is only one company making the Reverso. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

16. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Hi Newcomer,

I can certainty understand your issues with the appearance of the cut off Roman numeral IIII. I wonder if it would have been less cut off if they did the number 4 as IV? As the Santos Galbee XL is intended as a daily wearer and not a true dress watch certain compromises are made such as a date window. Their true dress watches such as the Santos Dumont and the Louis Cartier Tank XL do not have dates. However, on the Santos Galbee I think they would lose lots of sales, maybe to Rolex's Datejust if the date were eliminated. I can tell you from some Rolex forums that lots of people bitch about the Daytona not having a date function ( so they won't buy it or they often sell it finding the lack of a date making it too impractical for them for daily wear). Also as the Santos Galbee is one of Cartier's "Relatively affordable" watches it may also appeal to people getting their first good watch, who are not fans of Rolex, who are not familiar with brands such as JLC, and who as newbies are less critical of certain design issues than those who have collected for a while.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the relatively basic ETA movement has been the main factor that kept me from pulling the trigger on one of these. If they ever "Upgrade" it to have an inhouse movement or a movement from JLC, F.Piguet, or Piaget it will go on my short list of "Must haves."

17. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Have any of you experience with watch movements become magnetized? I have been having a lot of problems lately with my vintage Constellation (1953). It keeps getting magnetized, which throws the timing off, and even when de-gaussed, the regulation is a little bit off. The watchmaker has been de-magnetizing it for me, but he keeps yelling at me for being careless. I assume this is a cell-phone related problem, but as much as I try to keep them apart, it is not that easy. I may give up on wearing this watch as much as it becoming a bit of a pain.
    My watchmaker says the only two watches that are safe are the Rolex Millgauss and the IWC Ingeneur as they are in Farraday cages, and because of modern life, e.g., airport scanners, cell phones, laptops, etc., the problem is worse than people think. That seems crazy to me. If it were that bad, more people would be talking about it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  18. Newcomer

That is exactly what I was thinking. I don't think there would have been a cut-off if they used IV, or decreased the scale of the numerals a little bit. Other than that, I really like the idea of the watch, and to be honest, I still would probably wear the heck out of it. I really don't have a problem with ETA movements (I prefer in-house, but the serviceability of an ETA movement is always something that is nice) either, just when they are not as well implemented as they could be.

And I guess for me, the date feature is a bit of a hassle. Don't get me wrong, it is nice... But it is also nice to be able to set your watches without worrying about AM and PM, or setting the date at the incorrect time. I think one of my favorite parts about my Speedy is the fact that I just wind it and head out. I can understand the need for it to appeal to the masses though. Funny people complain about the date on the Daytona though! It would make it so much less pure!

19. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

You mean watch collectors care about accuracy? I'll have to look harder at this thread again.

20. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

I would think you could add Sinn to the list. I have heard of this problem but never experienced it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.