1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

thanks guys, much appreciated.

yeah, i paid 3850 for my SS DJ, its 6600 now.

you dont remember all the prices on your watches? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint. I don't remember the prices I paid exactly - and I certainly don't remember what MSRP was 20 years ago, 10 years ago, etc...

3. in stitches

thats ok. its easier when you only have a few watches, not purchased more than 8 or 9 years ago.

4. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

5. in stitches

yeah, ive been looking around there, im just hesitant to to buy that way.

i put a few calls out to some watch dealers we know. have not heard back yet. i called an AD that we used to do business with, and her offer was embarrassing. if i dont hear any good news in a day or so, ill pursue these online options.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

If you must buy from an AD - consider buying from one overseas so that will knock the VAT off the (local) MSRP.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

It's called being a nerd.

Had a look on chrono24?

8. gyalos

gyalos Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry if this is inappropriate for this thread, but I'm contemplating on buying this submariner (serial A 1999) and two things strike me as peculiar a. the crown guards seem a bit farther from the crown than expected (at least from what I've seen in more recent numbers), and b. the "swiss made" on the dial, since my understanding is that it was introduced in the year 2000, before that it was just "swiss" or "swiss T 25".
    What do the resident WISs think?

9. in stitches

great idea. i dont need AD tho, gray market is fine, as long as its someone i trust.

lolyes

not yet

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

I would not hesitate on buying online. Just make sure you get a bunch of references. I have never had any issues with purchases on TZ, stitchy.

11. in stitches

thanks, NC. still hesitant, but helps hearing that others had good experiences.

12. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

http://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.htm

^ fwiw

lol I just realize they also have a inflation calculator link and PDF file as well.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I have a great memory for numbers (be it watches or cars). I also save all the reciepts for every watch I've purchased. Although, recently I got rid of reciepts for watches I have since sold/traded.

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Watch and car deliveries are memorable events for me. In addition to price paid, I could tell you what the weather was like that day, where I had dinner that evening, etc. LOL

15. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Serial number prefixes can give an estimated date of prodcution but its not exact. The old T < 25 was in reference to the use of tritium (less than 25 millicurie). Around 1999/2000 they stopped using tritium and switched to luminova...hence the change taking T<25 off the dial.

The Triplock crown always extends past the shoulder on older Subs (I haven't specifically checked this on the current models). My 2005 Sub Date with green bezel does the same thing (crown extended past crown protector shoulders).

Even if those things are accurate, it doesn't mean its the real deal. Make sure you know who you are buying from, so you don't get screwed. There are lots of Subs out there. If you don't trust this seller move on to another.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Stitchy - bought all my watches off TZ. All from users with low references too. Haven't had an issue yet. Now, if I could just sell some to make room for more...

17. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Wow, quite a bump to the panny prices. Anyone know the new US price of a 177? Interesting to see if it's still priced higher than in Europe. When I got mine a couple of years ago, it was about $6.200 in the US compared to about $5.300 in the EU. It just increased to $7.100 here.

In 1991 I paid $1.700 for my Submariner 14060 from an AD (list was $1.800). It had just replaced the 5513, which went for $1.300 before being discontinued. Apparently the new no-date sub is $7.500.

18. in stitches

thanks bo, i have seen a few on TZ priced well. i hope to have heard back from the calls i put out, by tomorrow. then i will have to decide what to do.

19. in stitches

looks like 6,900. and that is assuming the site i saw has the october bump. if not could be between 7,500 to 7,625.

20. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

The $6.900 was on the list from April. It probably just got an October bump, but I haven't been able to find the new US list yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.