1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

+1

2. elisiX

elisiX Well-Known Member

Went with the 390 today. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

5. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Right - why would you buy one like that? There's plenty of solid grey market dealers selling legit goods.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I believe the word is "fenced" [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

The word is "sold to the grey dealers with a substantial discount by ADs who need to clean up their inventory but don't want to get in trouble with the manufacturers who keep track of serial numbers". Common practice. Never buy though, I agree with that.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

+2 - never seen that. All but one of my NIB watches came from grey market dealers.

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

what does your collection consist of these days? if i may be so bold.

10. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

To coin a phrase, precisely. A gray market watch is basically a pre-owned watch as far as warranty goes with many brands.in some cases it may be better to buy used. Omega used to be especially persnickety in this regard.

11. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

+1

As much as I'd like to support official channels, the price differentials are too big to be ignored for what is essentially the same product.

12. elisiX

elisiX Well-Known Member

Of the ~ 10 Panerai / Rolex etc that I've bought I'd say 2 were from an AD and the rest used or grey.

Never pay retail - ever. Also, never seen a serial removed on anything I've bought.

13. Hayward

http://www.chronocentric.com/omega/consumeralert.shtml#policies

I have personally seen Omegas with serials removed, so it does happen. And it can complicate things for the buyer.

I would suspect that many other (more expensive) brands turn a blind eye to the issue, and so there's no incentive for the gray market dealer to remove the serial in that case.

It may not be an issue with Omega any more since they are aggressively elevating their brand profile and prices.
    On the other hand, if they are still concerned about this, I would under no circumstances buy a gray market Omega watch. This would be especially true if I were going to buy one of their watches with proprietary movements such as the jumping hour coaxial planet ocean. Not sure why everyone is getting so huffy about this issue. You guys sound like Reev when he defends buying fakes.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I've had multiple Swatch Group watches, including GO and Omega go through repair or service within the warranty period and never once had the slightest issue with the stamped warranty cards or with them honoring their warranty.

15. Hayward

Well good for you then! Not all experiences are the same, obviously. I guess you didn't buy them at Costco.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/12/supreme-court-lets-ban-on-gray-market-imports-stand/

I'm sure most of the grey market sellers offer in house warrantys which mirror manufacturer warrantys closely. After that, the manufacturer treats it just like any post warranty watch for service. Not a big deal, except that the fellow who asked about buying used in the first place specifically mentioned he wants an Omega. I would not buy an Omega from a gray market dealer, because Omega appears to be especially sensitive to the issue. whyntake the risk?I would buy a used one first.

In fact, I'm not sure how we got on the gray market track, as it were. Quick, somebody post a picture of puppies.

16. elisiX

elisiX Well-Known Member

+1 gdl DSSD today. [​IMG]

17. bhall41

bhall41 Well-Known Member

18. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

^ Oh god I just found my next watch - better yet, a wedding watch.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  19. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

Just got the Polar Explorer II...I think I'm done...for now.

[​IMG]

20. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.