1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keal19

Keal19 Well-Known Member

DerekS, your right it is very small but luckily my slight wrists make it the perfect dress watch for me.

And Dino- your right, that's why I tend to prefer vintage watches, it's almost become a race to bring out the largest watch! Which IMHO is why the AP Royal Oak is such an iconic watch because as far as I'm aware it was the original larger watch and one I'd love to own!

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

yeah, we made sure off it. all legit. original box and papers, serial numbers, patina on dials.....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

That Rubinacci looks like an ETA 2892 (or similar) with a chrono module. They're often advertised as having high jewel counts because they count the jewels on the module as well.
    This Tudor has a similar layout with 45min totalizer at 9 and small seconds at 3. It has a ETA 2892-A2 movement with the Dubois-dépraz 2054 chronograph module.
    http://watchlords.forumotion.net/t9173-tudor-heritage-chronograph-a-not-so-mini-mini-review

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

heh, you was close tho.

The movement is $469 alone.

http://www.ofrei.com/page240.html

If you guys are curious about ETA movement price. Also keep in mind, watch companies obviously buy these movements in bulk (probably a lot cheaper.)

http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  5. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Hi Keal,

I think there is a "Sweet spot" for watch sizes. Too small and it looks like you are wearing your girlfriend/wife's watch...too large and it looks cartoonish. Also sadly, the bulk of really large watches I see people wear are rarely very nice...makes me think some people buy a really big watch even if its not a great watch or even if it doesn't need to be as large as it is, simply for attention. Afterall, how can people not notice something the size of a tuna can strapped to their wrist.

I agree completely about the AP Royal Oak. I've never really been interested in the Offshore models, I've always favored the original design. I've looked at them for years, and roughly 2 months ago I just picked up a new AP Royal Oak 15202 (based on the original design). Its a really fantastic watch. I hope one day you will be enjoying one on your own wrist.

Although, I'm generally not excited about ETA movements, one thing to consider is that different watch companies buy the movements in different states of completion and finish. Less expensive watches may have a movement thats completely assembled, has a raw finish, and it just get thrown into a case. Other companies like Cartier (when they use an ETA ...in say a Santos Galbee or Tank Francaise) use an ebauche which is largely parts and they assemble it and finish it to their own standards. On higher end IWCs using ETA movements as a base, there are a significant number of modifications and changes in quality and finish (such that its hardly like what they start with)...this is particularly true of the old DaVinci Perpetual Calendar Chronograph. So even among watches using ETA movements there are different levels of involvement in the assembly and finish of the movement.

6. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

7. closetmess

closetmess Well-Known Member

First post in here. Have two vintage Omegas on the way so trying to get some wear out of my Longines Master Collection before those arrive and steal all the wrist time.

iPhone pics, forgive me sah.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some quick seller's pics of my Omegas en route...

1961 Seamaster 30, black on black.

[​IMG]

1966 Connie pie pan

[​IMG]

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Love that Seamaster. Is it a redial?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  10. closetmess

closetmess Well-Known Member

It is admittedly a redial -- original case, crown, etc. otherwise though. It just looks so damn pretty and I bought it more for that reason than to be a collector's item. I am putting a black croc strap on it and designating it as my formal watch. Or whenever I wear my black Barker Black Archdales, really.

11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Any takers?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. Cant kill da Rooster

Well it looks great.

13. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

i promise they didnt pay $469 for the movement in that rubi watch. not even in the ballpark.

14. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

15. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Well-Known Member

+1

Quite a bit of travel lately to some good watch destinations (HK, Singapore, London). Had the opportunity to try on the new 41mm RO and RO chrono; I find the new cases unnecessarily big and the dial balance off, with the chrono registers too far spaced from the bezel. Even though AP was a primary driver of the big watch, in 2012 I almost find the upsizing of their cases to be a cynical yet delayed reaction to the general upsizing of cases. I wish they had maintained a more pronounced demcarcation between the RO and ROO lines.

In related news, I just pulled the trigger yesterday on the new 15202... will take delivery in 2 weeks when in the US. :)

16. depechedior

depechedior Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!!! The new 15202 is stunning

The 15300 and 15400 cannot compete...

17. depechedior

depechedior Well-Known Member

morning [​IMG]

Evening [​IMG]

Cheers all!

18. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Very nice. Blue dial?

19. jabster410

jabster410 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm really liking the look of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean but stumbled upon this watch by Christopher Ward,
    http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/view-all-mens/c60-cosc-sks.html
    I'm wondering if the difference in quality is worth the difference in price or if I should keep saving up for the Omega. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

20. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Details? This would go nicely with my Gaddafi chonograph.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.