1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

My latest watch in my Japan collection: Seiko SARN003 (Retrograde GMT)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

for the most part i believe that gdl is correct. however, there is a significant amount of complication in creating a moon phase that does not need any adjustments for hundreds of, or even a thousand years.

the phases of the moon are not quite set on an exact 29 day cycle, so creating a moon phase that does not need to be adjusted for a significant amount of time, is a rather complicated feature.

most cheap watches that have moon phases, are either non functional at all, or set on a strict 29 day cycle, and over time would become off cycle if unadjusted by the owner.

3. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Your absolutely right, I totally forgot about this.

However I wouldn't call the JLC cheap, but it certainly isn't considered as expensive say as the type of watch your talking about Stitches.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Moo, DDD, GDL, Stitch;

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was not implying that anyone on this thread has a cheap watch, I was referring to watches I have seen at CVS/Walgreens/RiteAid.

5. dddrees

No offense taken, in fact great question.

Thanks for asking.

6. in stitches

i certainly would not call it cheap either. as cal said above, he was referring to real cheap watches, my answer was directed at that.

funny story, we actually bought that exact watch today at work, only on a brown strap.

no p. and i understood ya, never thought you were dissing anyones watch here. :)

7. dddrees

Congrats.

I actually got the Brown Croc with that watch as well. At the time all I had was Black strap watches, and I wanted one on Brown so the AD through one in for free.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe that the moonphase in some Pateks and Langes are said to be accurate for upto roughly 120 years. But in any event, I believe as you suggest they are also more precise and divide the cycle into a very exact number rather than just rounding it to 29 days.

However, I do wonder what they mean by it not requiring any adjustment for 100+ years, and if that is simply based on a hypothetical using their mathematical forumals and going with an assumption that the watch will be continuously worn and powered for all of those years. Realistically, most people will take the watch off at some point and it will lose power and have to be reset. In addition, even if someone wore it non-stop after several years it would need to go in for a service and it might get a little fine tuning.

9. Naked Economist

Naked Economist Member

Need to purchase my first real time piece.

I am thinking of getting a silver bracelet, which I can always change to leather later.

The watch has to be automatic too.

I came up with these choices, they are all under my £900 budget.

Which one do you prefer? I would be wearing them with a suit and casually.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/longines-sport-conquest-gents-watch-l36764766

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/longines-flagship-gents-watch-l47744126

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/longines-sport-hydroconquest-gents-watch-l36424566

I am too indecisive, so any help would be greatly appreciated. For an answer that really helps me out, I will send you a random gift in the mail.

10. in stitches

:fistbump:

i assume it is based on mathematical calculations, the same way different perpetual calendars can be predicted accurate for different lengths of time. and surely it assumes the watch is worn, or on a winder. im sure there is fine tuning when it is serviced, but i guess in theory, even if they left that part alone, it may be able to keep its pace assuming the watch is in working order.

11. dddrees

The owner would not have to make any corrections for short or long months or even leap years for about 120 years. Tried to find the exact time, but was unable. Besides this may vary depending on watch but yes we could be talking about as long as 120 years.

But of course this means it would have to run continuously. This is why they have watch winders, however as you pointed out there would be times the watch would need to go in for a service, and of course this would be one time when it would have to be reset and re-wound. The power reserve may not last long enough until it is actually delivered. But the watch would have been stopped when it was disassembled during the service regardless.

But still a marvel none the less.

12. Dino944

Of the watches you have suggested, I liked the one at the top of your list and the diving watch with the rotating bezel. I didn't care for the middle selection. The one in the middle with the smaller bracelet links didn't look quite as clean and masculine as the first and third watches. They probably all use the same ETA based movement, so the quality of the movements is probably the same for each.

I think you have to determine whether you will wear the watch more casually or more frequently with suits. The listing at the top of your choices is a very clean versatile design. I can see it easily being worn with suits or casual clothing. The last choice, the diving watch with black bezel, is definitely more of a sports watch and better suited for wearing casual clothing. You can wear it with a suit, afterall people wear Rolex Submariners with suits, so its the same idea. Its just not quite as dressy looking to wear it with a suit. To some degree you may have to ask yourself if you are comfortable wearing a sports watch with a suit, or do you want something that can be universally worn with suits and casual clothing.

You may also want to consider looking at vintage Longines, Gruens, or maybe even an Omega. Going vintage will give you some interesting choices, and it will often make certain you are wearing a watch that you won't frequently see on other peoples wrists. Although, I think you will find many of their watches may seem more delicate than a modern watch, unless say you look for something like a pre-owned stainless steel automatic Omega Constellation from say the late 80s early 1990s. They were not as bulkie as they are today, but they could be worn everyday and looked good with suits or casual clothes. Good luck with your search. Take you time, the hunt is part of the fun!

13. dddrees

I think this is an excellent suggestion. I also would recomend you consider getting a good quality vintage as well. However do make sure you check on service history when doing so. The cost of a service could easily make you go above your budget. Have a reputable watchmaker take a look at it before buying one.

14. Dino944

Just checked one of my AP catalogues its for model year 2011, and for 2 of the more complicated pieces that had moonphase displays (one being their Equation of Time) , they stated it would require an adjustment once every 122 years. Obviously, it could vary from model to model, or brand to brand.

I suppose the time required for adjustment is a cool theoretical fact, that only one of our ancestors will be able to verify. Still its very cool, and I think a phase of the moon display always adds some color and beauty to a watch.

15. Dino944

Cool watch ! Hope you are enjoying it.

16. in stitches

i think i recall one of the smaller boutique brants, maybe dewitt or debethune, that had one that was said to be accurate for over 500 years. i could be totally misremembering though.

17. MuZI

MuZI Active Member

I chose to use my introduction post for the watch thread because of my love of watches.

Hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong thread... all the Pateks and Rolexs are intimidating.

Took the day off from work so didn't get out much. Wore my IWC Mark XVI today...

Fun fact: None of my watches ever have the correct date because I'm too lazy to set them.

[​IMG]

I was talking to someone earlier in the month about their IWC Perpetual and I THINK he mentioned it was accurate for ~400 years.

Edit: http://people.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium0015

18. in stitches

great watch, and great way to get started posting.

thanks for the link. i read the IWC article, that also has an accuracy up to 122 years.

i did find this tho, and it was not what i was thinking of. boggles the mind.

http://www.hodinkee.com/2011/10/17/a-week-on-the-wrist-the-ochs-and-junior-selene-tinta-moonpha.html

19. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

yes, tank xl cpcp. for 5k. sad i passed.

20. aleksandr

aleksandr Well-Known Member

For perpetual calendars, don't they just have to be accurate to 4 years only to account for leap years? Or am I missing something..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.