• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At first, I was looking at IWC & Zenith until you guys mentioned JLC. I really like the Zenith and JLC because they make their own movements and the watches are smaller 38-42mm and not very well known to the general public.

My #1 watch is the IWC 7-Day Automatic in white gold with charcoal grey dial but its way out of my budget...for now.

If I can get a good deal on the used JLC Master Date, around $4K, I'll bite. I would prefer new but I'm not a fan of the moon function and it seems as though every JLC has the moon function. I have no idea what purpose it serves. No offense intended!!

I really do like the Master Calendar is still an option but I have not been able to price one....I know it has the moon function but its a beautiful watch.

Zenith, known for its movements in the Rolex Daytona, is making a comeback and their prices are within my budget and I can get a stainless steel bracelet. I really like the El Primero 36,000 VPH and the El Primero Captain Chronograph.

I doubt I would be dissapointed with any of them...it all comes down to price. The Zenith El Primero 36,000 VPH with stainless steel bracelet retails for $8,600 and leather strap is $7,600 if I can get an AD to knock off 20%, I'll pull the trigger. The El Primero Captain Chrono is a little less expensive so we'll see what the AD have to say.

El Primero 36,000 VPH

El Primero Captain Chronograph

Here's a chart that I thought was interesting. Changing Appetite for Luxury Watches

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd finally stop using the iPhone for pics...

Cylon, that is stunning! Very elegant and clean design, and their movements are always a pleasure to see.

glad you did that. beautiful watch, front and back. although i am really disappointed in JLCs decision to change their folding clasp. the old one was so much nicer, heftier and had an amazing finish.
new clasp
jlc_image.1733236.jpg

old clasp
mm2.jpg

NO CONTEST

In Stitches, part of the change in the deployant clasp design may have been due to complaints it either fit comfortably or it did not, there was no in between. It was acutally the same design that Lange was using also (when people opted for their deployant). I know many people had to have the strap & clasp turned so it opened from the other direction for a better fit on older JLCs and Langes.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zenith, known for its movements in the Rolex Daytona, is making a comeback and their prices are within my budget and I can get a stainless steel bracelet. I really like the El Primero 36,000 VPH and the El Primero Captain Chronograph.
I

Here's a chart that I thought was interesting. Changing Appetite for Luxury Watches

I like the Zenith El Primero 36,000 VPH in the top photo. I prefer its chunkier case lugs, crown and pushers.
As for the movement, yes an El Primero was used in the Rolex Daytonas from around 1989-2000, but it was a significantly modified movement. Most notably the rate of VPH was slowed from 36,600 to 28,800, and there were suposedly more than 100 modifications to the movement before it went into a Rolex. Hence, its fairly different from the El Primero found in Zeniths. Brands like Ebel, also used the El Primero, but I do not think they made any substantial changes to the movement. A friend of mine has had a Zenith chronograph with El Primero movement for at least 5 years and he is very happy with it.

My only issue about Zenith, is if you are going to buy it, make sure you love it. Its not as well known as JLC or IWC, and I think it would be tougher to get a good price for if you want to sell or trade it someday.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cylon

Reaction score
...I'm not a fan of the moon function and it seems as though every JLC has the moon function. I have no idea what purpose it serves. No offense intended!

Don't worry, none taken
smile.gif

It's a really good question though.

I’m sure if you were to ask people on the street their opinion of the best complication on a watch, chronograph would most likely come out on top. I’d wager that’s because aside from those of us who like watches, the only time you ever hear about watch companies in general is when they plaster their “official timekeeper” status at various major sporting events--watches are important to us nowadays so we can enforce the rules and/or measure competitive sport, and who the hell doesn’t like the Superbowl or the Olympics?!

Things like a moon phase complication strikes us as quaint, odd or even utterly useless because we don’t really remember what purpose they serve, but it’s really at the very heart of timekeeping. Rather than try to write it myself, I found a quote that sums it up perfectly:

“Time keeping and construction of calendars are among the oldest branches of astronomy. Up until very recently, no earth-bound method of time keeping could match the accuracy of time determinations derived from observations of the sun and the planets. All the time units that appear natural to man are caused by astronomical phenomena: The year by Earth's orbit around the Sun and the resulting run of the seasons, the month by the Moon's movement around the Earth and the change of the Moon phases, the day by Earth's rotation and the succession of brightness and darkness.” (http://www.maa.mhn.de/Scholar/times.html)

We have, by and large, forgotten that connection with nature. Insofar as the calendar system is considered a standalone abstract entity, the moon phase is considered an anachronism. I guess that’s precisely what appeals to me: that connection with the history of timekeeping from its earliest beginnings. Nowadays we may get excited about a special edition in platinum, or debate the virtues of plastic or sapphire crystal, patina on a dial, or an increase in case size from 40mm to 42mm; but that little moon reminds me of so much more.

Anyway, this all probably sounds really douchey and pedantic so I’m gonna stop. Not trying to say YOU MUST LOVE THE MOONPHASE, just trying to explain why I like it
biggrin.gif

As a final (and probably simplest) note: I’m Muslim so tracking the lunar calendar remains important to me. I honestly can’t wait to see Ramadan approaching on this little watch of mine.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sidenote: in stitches avatar is both mesmerizing and hilarious

:fistbump: take that haters!

I don't know Stitchy. I've always been a fran of the double deployant. Bought one from Bob over at Mywatchmaker and its been stellar.

In Stitches,  part of the change in the deployant clasp design may have been due to complaints it either fit comfortably or it did not, there was no in between.  It was acutally the same design that Lange was using also (when people opted for their deployant).  I know many people had to have the strap & clasp turned so it opened from the other direction for a better fit on older JLCs and Langes.

the double deployment clasp may very well be more comfortable, ive never had the single so i cant really say. but their single was hella nicer and im sure once the watch has been worn enough and the leather softens up it would be fine. even if they made the change for comfort, they could have made it with a nicer finish imo, its pretty weak sauce for me. but, its just a clasp, and i love my JLC, so its not really a big deal. plus i got a sick deal on mine.

At first, I was looking at IWC & Zenith until you guys mentioned JLC. I really like the Zenith and JLC because they make their own movements and the watches are smaller 38-42mm and not very well known to the general public.

pretty sure IWC makes some of their movements. might want to check on that.

My #1 watch is the IWC 7-Day Automatic in white gold with charcoal grey dial but its way out of my budget...for now.
If I can get a good deal on the used JLC Master Date, around $4K, I'll bite. I would prefer new but I'm not a fan of the moon function and it seems as though every JLC has the moon function. I have no idea what purpose it serves. No offense intended!!

while not very popular or useful to most, its actually a very cool and complex complication when its done to be accurate for hundreds of years.

I really do like the Master Calendar is still an option but I have not been able to price one....I know it has the moon function but its a beautiful watch.
I doubt I would be dissapointed with any of them...it all comes down to price. The Zenith El Primero 36,000 VPH with stainless steel bracelet retails for $8,600 and leather strap is $7,600 if I can get an AD to knock off 20%, I'll pull the trigger. The El Primero Captain Chrono is a little less expensive so we'll see what the AD have to say.
El Primero 36,000 VPH

while they are all great choices, and zenith is a fine watchmaker, i still lean towards the others. good luck deciding. hey, you might find yourself on the right side of a windfall, and get them all, and more!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't worry, none taken :)

It's a really good question though.
I’m sure if you were to ask people on the street their opinion of the best complication on a watch, chronograph would most likely come out on top.

I’d wager that’s because aside from those of us who like watches, the only time you ever hear about watch companies in general is when they plaster their “official timekeeper” status at various major sporting events--watches are important to us nowadays so we can enforce the rules and/or measure competitive sport, and who the hell doesn’t like the Superbowl or the Olympics?!

Things like a moon phase complication strikes us as quaint, odd or even utterly useless because we don’t really remember what purpose they serve, but it’s really at the very heart of timekeeping.  Rather than try to write it myself, I found a quote that sums it up perfectly:

“Time keeping and construction of calendars are among the oldest branches of astronomy. Up until very recently, no earth-bound method of time keeping could match the accuracy of time determinations derived from observations of the sun and the planets. All the time units that appear natural to man are caused by astronomical phenomena: The year by Earth's orbit around the Sun and the resulting run of the seasons, the month by the Moon's movement around the Earth and the change of the Moon phases, the day by Earth's rotation and the succession of brightness and darkness.” (http://www.maa.mhn.de/Scholar/times.html)

We have, by and large, forgotten that connection with nature. Insofar as the calendar system is considered a standalone abstract entity, the moon phase is considered an anachronism. I guess that’s precisely what appeals to me: that connection with the history of timekeeping from its earliest beginnings. Nowadays we may get excited about a special edition in platinum, or debate the virtues of plastic or sapphire crystal, patina on a dial, or an increase in case size from 40mm to 42mm; but that little moon reminds me of so much more.

Anyway, this all probably sounds really douchey and pedantic so I’m gonna stop. Not trying to say YOU MUST LOVE THE MOONPHASE, just trying to explain why I like it :D

As a final (and probably simplest) note: I’m Muslim so tracking the lunar calendar remains important to me. I honestly can’t wait to see Ramadan approaching on this little watch of mine.

likely true. and while there is also a great deal that goes into a properly functioning chronograph, and one that doesnt affect the time keeping of the watch, it is no doubt a true "complication." still there are so many other amazing complications that people are just unaware of, and thus cant appreciate. its a shame.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Savile Row

Reaction score
So here is a home to post your pictures of your watches

The Orient was purchased in 1991 from a street merchant in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Yes, it runs counter-clockwise.
Quite the conversation piece.

Ciao !

Savile Row

Reaction score

The Orient was purchased in 1991 from a street merchant in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Yes, it runs counter-clockwise.

Ciao !

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fistbump.gif
take that haters!
the double deployment clasp may very well be more comfortable, ive never had the single so i cant really say. but their single was hella nicer and im sure once the watch has been worn enough and the leather softens up it would be fine. even if they made the change for comfort, they could have made it with a nicer finish imo, its pretty weak sauce for me. but, its just a clasp, and i love my JLC, so its not really a big deal. plus i got a sick deal on mine.

pretty sure IWC makes some of their movements. might want to check on that.

Hi In Stitches,

My father has a limited edition JLC with the original style deployant that you like, and a Lange 1 with the same style deployant. He bought both watches in 2004, and the comfort level of the deployant has nothing to do with the leather (croc straps) they come on softening up. He got both on a short strap so the strap fits properly but they just do not fit a lot of people's wrists comfortably, unless removed and reversed to open in the other direction. That may not be the entire reason for changing the deployant, but it may be part of it.

Yes, IWC does make some of their own movements. However, many use an ETA or Valjoux 7750 as a base movement.

Savile Row

Reaction score

Ciao !

Cylon

Reaction score
That (eastern) Arabic dial is awesome--i want one now!

Last edited:

Savile Row

Reaction score
I apologize for the multiple posts on the same subject, however I was receiving an error reporting there was a problem with the server... so, I kept "submitting", finally giving-up after the third "there is a problem submitting to this server".
I guess there wasn't a problem after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads