1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academe

academe Well-Known Member

I'm very aware of the gaps in my collection. Unfortunately I also have limited funds and also have other sartorial priorities, including bunches of London Lounge cloth waiting to be made-up. :confused:

To the watch list, I would also add (roughly in order of priority):

round dress watch
    square, rectangular or tonneau shaped dress watch
    moon phase
    chronograph
    ultra-thin
    minute repeater
    annual calendar or perpetual calendar

..And if I ever win the lottery, a grand complication (e.g. JLC Duometre or Hybris Mechanica).

I'll probably never get there, but one can always dream! :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

I looked at the new 41mm 3 hand time only RO (ref 15400), and its a nice watch, but the Jumbo is just a bit more special IMHO. in the 15400 I did not like that the display back shows that they transplated a movement from a smaller watch into a larger watch. Its the same size saphire crystal to see the movement but now there is a lot more metal around it. When I saw the new Jumbo, which is essentially a tribute to the original RO with the AP at 6 and the smaller original style Clou De Paris on the dial, I knew that was the one for me. I have seen photos of their new 41mm chronograph which looks nice, and I think the made the right decision in using a solid back on that one so its not visible that this same movement was in the previous smaller chronograph. I will be sure to post a photo once the Jumbo arrives.

3. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

4. Dino944

Dino944 Well-Known Member

Very nice vintage GMT! From this angle it looks like it has the really small luminous markers surrounded by gold, is it a 1675?

5. NonServiam

NonServiam Well-Known Member

Almost :) This is a 16758, the first gold GMT with a sapphire crystal. Which, still equipped with the nipple dial you observe, is known as a transitional Rolex model. For steel models this would mean a matte dial and sapphire...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

acadame and NS - beautiful watches gents. thanks for sharing.

there maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay be a watch in my near future. not sure yet. pray for me, boys.

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

looking forward to tomorrow pics :D :slayer:

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Anyone have a recommendation for good Nato/Zulu, or rubber straps? Need something that can hold up to daily wear and sweat, and be able to be cleaned off. Danke.

9. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

The $10 jobs you can get from eBay are actually pretty good. I have a few from this seller and they have held up even through a little bit of war.

[​IMG]

10. in stitches

:laugh: oh i wish. would be a few months off.

i hope the wife does not notice, if decide to go through with it. :devil:

11. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of Nato straps, except on low end watches. To put one on a Rolex is wrong in so many ways.

12. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Putting a tool strap on a tool watch is wrong, hm?

13. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Its going to be on a cheap Seiko, so as to not offend your delicate sensibilities.

14. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Love this one so simple, so clean!

15. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

I'm a WIS, shaddup!

16. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

(eagerly waits for Edgein's head to explode :D)

It's interesting that you (indrectly) make a reference to price - watch straps are just that, watch straps. They accessorise the watch.

If you think a watch strap must be "high end" to match a "high end" watch then it might be worthwhile asking yourself ...why?

IMO you are approaching the whole WIS thing from a wrong angle - i.e. by using as a metric the perceived value of objects. Like people whose enjoyment of paintings is based on the name in the lower R hand corner.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  17. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Closest to an exploding head! Nice watches. But, they look ridiculous with those straps... I think a nice watch should have a proper leather strap or a bracelet, if appropriate. If you live in a hot climate, wear a watch with a bracelet and put those watches away for the summer. It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I wear a Tissot in the warmer weather. It isn't even mechanical! [​IMG]

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

There's a couple pictures of A. Lange on a Nato's roaming around the web.

Found one

[​IMG]

19. in stitches

those are beautiful watches. while i am not against nato straps per say, i dont think those watches are really sporty enough to work with the straps on them. just my opinion.

also, personally, i have a thing for original good and stuff. 99% of the time, i prefer to have only the manufacturers goods on the watch. gdls gold hands on his panerai being an exception to that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  20. cgo

cgo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Portugueser (IWC 3531)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.